Lifestyle tips

Fatphobic parents

My parents are very fatphobic. So much so that they fat shamed me yesterday and I'm only 5'11" 139lbs. They want me to bring my girlfriend home for a couple weeks in the winter. I've been dating her since January and they haven't met her yet. However, she is 5'10" and 285lbs. Obvious conflict here.

My girlfriend is very self conscious about her weight but she wants to come and meet them anyway. And I want to make her as comfortable as possible in this unfortunate situation and try to avoid situations that could lead to conversations about her weight. Any tips?
3 years

Fatphobic parents

My two cents (YMMV):

Warn her what your parents are like and reassure her that you like (love?) her as she is. And if your parents try to give her the business, you always stick up for her.
3 years

Fatphobic parents

Basically you need to communicate. Let your parents know that your gf is fat, that you love her, and that if they want to meet her you expect them to behave. I mean, you can choose your time, like if they comment about some woman being fat, mention that your gf is bigger than that, and you'd love to have her come meet them, but you are worried about how they'd treat her.

And fwiw, odds on that they want you in their life more than they want to be fat phobic. If they realize that at some point you will move out and won't visit much if you have to deal with their fat-phobia, they might just modify their behavior (but no guarantees)
3 years

Fatphobic parents

Yes. I do. Avoid them like the pleague until they straighten up. Be nice, but surround yourself with positive influences. Your parents will come around. This is assuming that they give her a negative vibe upon meeting her.
3 years

Fatphobic parents

My mom is quite fat phobic. She had/has an eating disorder. When she was a teen she had surgery and was teased for the weight she gained since she couldn't move as much. So my whole life being fat was a bad thing.

Well my wife is overweight. About the same size as your gf. I've gotten comments when she wasn't around and I told my mom I love the way my wife is. As others have said you can also tell them ahead of time to chill out with any fat comments while she is meeting them. Best of luck with it all.
3 years

Fatphobic parents

i so get this my ex was about 5/6 an about 320... My family is into fat shaming etc, one of the reasons she only met my parents once, and was part of the reason of the breakup...Dont do what i did n not have a set of balls
3 years

Fatphobic parents

purplepig1515, what you should do is secretly fatten up your parents by spiking their food with melted butter. Do this until they are fat and can't talk shit anymore
3 years