Lifestyle tips

Lack of appetite

Hey everyone! This forum page has been pretty cold and barren for the past few days. Therefore, I am going to impose a question for people to discuss. I am obviously new to this whole gaining and weight gain process, if you check my page. My problem has been my appetite. I can barely finish three averagely sized meals without having some sort of bellyache. Besides just adapting and getting used to the new diet, are there any ways to increase appetite?

Thanks!
3 years

Lack of appetite

A bit of a brain dump below, sorry for so many words. All just based on my experiences and reading, not claiming the ultimate truth to any of this. And of course every body is different.

To be clear, right now your body is working the way it should, keeping your weight steady. I understand that you want to gain, but just be clear that what you are talking about is bypassing or breaking down your body's natural checks and balances. Obviously there can be some risks to doing that (I'm no expert to say what risks with what courses of action, but go in with your eyes wide open).

But before even talking about increasing your appetite, those stomach aches are a bit concerning. Is it just the feeling of being too full? Or a burning? Or feeling nauseous? Other symptoms? I'm wondering if you could have a food intolerance of some sort that you could be triggering with your typical foods. One thing to try might be getting full on something very simple (say oatmeal porridge, no milk), and see if you have the same issues or not.

As for increasing appetite, I think there are basically three things: medication, temptation, and practice.

It is well known that certain medications increase appetite (but that is likely not an option), and the munchies from pot is also well known (possibly an option, depending on where you are, etc).

Temptation is basically keeping tempting foods and good smells around you, to trigger appetite. How much you can do that may depend on your living and working conditions, but one way to do some of that is to get into baking -- makes nice smells, it is tempting to snack as you make and put away things, and if you keep some of your baking out and visible then it provides that part of the temptation.

But the big one is practice. Getting away from eating when you are hungry, and instead eating whenever it is feasible. Getting the "I should eat something" mindset, so that whenever you have a break from what you are doing or transitioning between activities you think "I should eat something" and then if you reasonably comfortably can, you do so (it obviously helps to have snacks handy to make this easy). And over time you increase how much you eat each of those times. And you try to eat your full normal meals, too. So over time you change your prompt for eating from "I'm hungry" to "It has been an hour since I last ate something."

Best of luck!
3 years

Lack of appetite

Edxl:
A bit of a brain dump below, sorry for so many words. All just based on my experiences and reading, not claiming the ultimate truth to any of this. And of course every body is different.

To be clear, right now your body is working the way it should, keeping your weight steady. I understand that you want to gain, but just be clear that what you are talking about is bypassing or breaking down your body's natural checks and balances. Obviously there can be some risks to doing that (I'm no expert to say what risks with what courses of action, but go in with your eyes wide open).

But before even talking about increasing your appetite, those stomach aches are a bit concerning. Is it just the feeling of being too full? Or a burning? Or feeling nauseous? Other symptoms? I'm wondering if you could have a food intolerance of some sort that you could be triggering with your typical foods. One thing to try might be getting full on something very simple (say oatmeal porridge, no milk), and see if you have the same issues or not.

As for increasing appetite, I think there are basically three things: medication, temptation, and practice.

It is well known that certain medications increase appetite (but that is likely not an option), and the munchies from pot is also well known (possibly an option, depending on where you are, etc).

Temptation is basically keeping tempting foods and good smells around you, to trigger appetite. How much you can do that may depend on your living and working conditions, but one way to do some of that is to get into baking -- makes nice smells, it is tempting to snack as you make and put away things, and if you keep some of your baking out and visible then it provides that part of the temptation.

But the big one is practice. Getting away from eating when you are hungry, and instead eating whenever it is feasible. Getting the "I should eat something" mindset, so that whenever you have a break from what you are doing or transitioning between activities you think "I should eat something" and then if you reasonably comfortably can, you do so (it obviously helps to have snacks handy to make this easy). And over time you increase how much you eat each of those times. And you try to eat your full normal meals, too. So over time you change your prompt for eating from "I'm hungry" to "It has been an hour since I last ate something."

Best of luck!

Yea I had the same issue as the original poster. Also, I am no medical expert, just a delivery driver and computer guy lol. I couldn’t eat more than a few bites before feeling full. For me, I think my life was too fast paced at the time, and my brain was in a constant state of “GO GO GO.” This absolutely did not work at all and I had to result to pretend methods to feel bigger (padding).

I would never suggest someone get put on medication solely to get fat, but I had issues in my young adult life, and was put on anti depressants, and then bipolar medication after that. It was like a magic pill for me. At first, I wasn’t even really trying, but I noticed myself craving things I normally didn’t, specifically chocolate and sweets. I would have 3/4 snickers bars thru my day at work and still felt myself craving more. It was incredible actually. I think the medicine calming me down also helped. On top of that, the meds make me lethargic sometimes, so I spend a lot more time sitting or laying around, and it feels nice honestly.

I went from 130 to 210 in maybe like 2 years, and that’s kinda where I’m at now. Again, don’t fake a symptom for meds, but that’s what happened to me, and I’m glad of the unexpected outcome. I’m hungry smiley
3 years

Lack of appetite

Edxl:

Yes, it’s me getting full, but I believe it is to the point where I get so full that my tummy starts aching. I think that helps. Also, thanks for the advice with the temptation and other tips!
3 years