Story authors

Not sure what themes to exlore in my story

I believe you are finding the answer to your original questions in this post. One of the great rules of writing is to write what you know.

And you know pain and perfectionism quite well. Write that. It fits well with the journey you have done In mind and it gives you a theme to go along with weight gain and appetite — both of which are frenemies of the quest for perfection.

And this is a quest or a journey of your protagonist — perhaps an actual road trip. Or just a journey through cultures and cuisines. It doesn’t have to be an actual road trip although that seems appropriate for a story-game. It could be just a character very much like you, in that room alone with your feelings of imperfection and an appetite you can’t control.

Do take care of your mental and physical and emotional health though. And writing can be part of this care.

lydsville:
Givne how much this problem has been stressing me out and somethings that happened to me recent that I didn't go into here I decided to ask for help on mental health and someone has pointed out what might actually be my issue, I'm a perfectionist (I knew this but thought, whatever there are Hollywood directors that are perfectionists who cna somehow pump out movies easily and be okay, so I shouldn't have any problems right...)

So my problem is exactly that, I don't ever want to just make something, I want to make the best thing I can possible make at the time and then the next time go even further and even better. Alas, this might be what could kill me in the end as I have put my body on the line for this more than once.

I've refused to let myself out of my room to eat anything until I get something done with the project, refused to let myself sleep until I get something done, both enough until the point where I feel myself about to pass out or even after I already have, [placed myself into situation which I knew would negatively affect me and still did it because in my won words "the project is worth more than me."

So now I honestly have to ask a question that I've been avoiding, I want to make a fetish game unlike all the others I've seen that would have an enriching story and beautiful graphics, something that is actually fun while at the same time is a full gameplay experience and not just easy fap material, but maybe I'm not the one who can do it.

The problem is that I feel if I get it wrong on the first go then we can't go back and do it again, we'd need to go through all of this again, we'd need a new idea to not be called out for using the same one again and then we'd have to go through all the struggles of the first project just to possibly meet the same result and given the first result was failure then I'll take that in the wrong way to mean no one is interested in this project at all and therefore there is no point in trying again.

So should I perhaps cancel this project and try to do something to escape worrying about perfection in something like this somehow, or should I keep going but figure out someway to escape these pitfalls?

I don't know how to escape these pitfalls and I don't know where to ask. I feel like I'm bringing others down in this pit of hell with me by asking too and I'd rather not. That said, I don't want to just cancel the project but what choice have I, if I can't do it then I just can't do it so what's the point in trying?

I'm sorry, I just don't know what to do. (I hope I didn't bog anyone down with this post, sorry)
3 years

Your health can — and perhaps should — include writing, whether you work on this project or simply keep a journal of your struggles. You are on a hero’s journey. Record it for yourself and others.

"Writers get a nice break in one way, at least: They can treat their mental illnesses every day." — Vonnegut

lydsville:
Well, with the type of game I wanted to make (an FMv game) the lines do actually cross over, and I was looking into how would I make the fully CGI scene we'd need for the game.

That and as you said, they have a team, something of which I've felt I've needed this whole time, a group of people who might have the answers and maybe I can better communicate my ideas to.

I've always had issues communicating with people and I'm not sure if that would help either but at the least they may know how to bring my idea to life when I don't.

I agree that less is more, I was trying that in my project and basically felt it needed more, so I don't know how to apply it to me other than to do something easier instead.

My problem isn't I'm actually trying to aim for perfection, it's that my brain won't leave anything alone until it's perfect and therefore I have to make to something perfect or else it's just not something worth anyone's time. I can't help it, it's an actual problem that I have.

Yes, I do need to focus on my health. I'm not sure how far into details I can go but I worked myself to the point of having to fight passing out just the other day but this time it was because I felt if I passed out then that was it, no more me. I decided I didn't want to die for this project and started frantically looking for answers from people on forums and in videos on YouTube but alas I finally looked at what I was doing and decided that working on this project was just painful in various ways.

So I had to ask if it was really worth the pain, I finally decided that it wasn't. So, thank you for the understanding but yes I need to go take care of myself. Thank you, sorry if I bothered anyone with that one but I felt some context was needed.
3 years

Sorry I didn't respond quickly, I had to take some time to clear my head and respond in a better mindset.

I honestly am not the kind of person who can turn their pain into an entertaining story. It's not pain I'm dealing with, it's trauma. It's hard to understand I know, but it's not easy to just talk about it or even write about it, there are ways but it's not the kind of things to be brought up in an erotic story.

Even if you'll argue that such a story needs more diverse concepts, this will not work still. It's the opposite of what anyone is looking for (and the thought that it isn't is honestly what makes me afraid to even bring this up in the first place).

Though I have actually figured out my own idea, seems I was overthinking things. I might post a follow up to showcase the idea to see if anyone's interested.

Thank you for helping, you honestly did, all of you and now I think I actually have something to work with.
3 years
12   loading