Story authors

Not sure what themes to exlore in my story

I've been racking my brain on this for some time trying to figure this out but I'm just not sure. I'm also not sure how people might react to this.

I once tried asking about this to some other people into fat fetishism and it ended terribly as they basically said I was going way to deep into this and should just make something more fetishy.

That and I've always been afraid of being accused of trying to be artist with this, as in like focusing on symbolism and story telling when I should just be focusing on making the story attractive.

Basically, I want to explore someone discovering they have a fat fetish and want to gain weight by first not knowing this until they one day suddenly get an appetite out for some reason and then start gaining weight as a result of over eating, and then once they start getting really fat they begin to realize how much they love it and want to keep getting bigger.

Meanwhile though, they should be dealing with something else, but I'm not sure what. I've been inspired by this one story where the lead enters another world and then they are aided by a secondary main character who helps them deal with being in a new place, sadly this doesn't work in my story but I want a similar idea that makes their appetite not really become explained but yet still somewhat understandable.

The idea is that she's been through something else that's strange or surreal and thus she has something else to do other than just gaining weight but also gives us some help in figuring out why she's gaining weight.

After some time and asking for help elsewhere while keeping the weight gain them a secret I've finally realized why I can't figure this out, the lack of themes to explore.

We're already exploring the theme of sexuality but there needs to be more to explore than that in a story like this as they need something else to do, and thus motivations beyond gaining weight.

The idea is supposed to be made into a video game, and I'm not sure what type of game it should be, wither a 3D platform or 3D action RPG or a FMV point and click (like Myst or Riven), though I'm not sure it will even work like that as I'm not where to put the scenes of weight gain.

So my questions are: What other themes should I explore in this story to make the character have something more to do? What type of game should I make this into out of the options and where would the weight gain be in that game?

I may actually post a video where I discuss more about the later issue to figure this out and describe the idea some more, but until then I need to figure out what else I'm doing with it first. Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance!
3 years

Anyone who dismisses you telling you to write easy fap material can gtfo as far as I'm concerned. Sure, does it do the job sometimes? Of course. But there is a way to tap into what is both pleasing and enriching.

When it comes to giving the character "something else to do," what you need is a conflict. If it's your first weight gain story, it doesn't have to be anything complicated. It can be a romantic partner, a promotion, or a prize. Give them something to want and then do everything you can to not let them have it.

The rest will fall into place along the journey.
3 years

thank you for the replay, I took a while to replay as I decided to do something I should have a long time ago instead of pestering everyone else with it, I looked up some videos about how to do it on YouTube.

I usually avoided these because of people telling be beforehand they didn't want me to make stories that were too developed but once you told me it could be I finally was motivated to see if the tutorials for making non-fat-fetish stories would help in making one and I honestly think they will.

We needed conflict like you said, and that comes from a character's want but our character's want comes from something missing in their life that needs to be fulfilled and the need is the ultimate truth they will discover in the end.

Those are the questions I need to figure out, we already know that the ultimate truth will involve them gaining weight and thus they will discover that being themselves or being true to themselves is better than trying to be something they're not.

Though now I need to know what's missing in their life to lead them to believe a lie that will be their want, or possibly rethink their ultimate truth but we'll see.

Thank you, this was very helpful, thank you for giving the inspiration to finally figure this out once and for all.
3 years

As a struggling fiction and non-fiction writer in real life who's now also pursuing erotica, I think it's always worth it to humanize the story a bit. It doesn't even have to be much! I love short stories and usually prefer them but if it's all Mary Sues I can't be bothered.

I'm happy I could help and welcome you to message me if you need more advice!
3 years

I may have figured it out but I keep feeling like I'm getting it wrong somehow.

So basically I feel I'm answering these questions incorrectly that you need to answer for the plot: What does a character want? What happens if they don't get it? What's standing in their way? What truth do they discover about themselves instead of getting what they want?

My answers are that they want to tame their appetite and remain skinny but they need to gain weight to discover themselves, if they don't remain skinny then they'll just keep getting fatter and start having issues with clothes and doors, but by the end they discover that they love that and want to experience that.

The conflict is that they want to stay skinny or at least not gain as much weight but they keep gaining anyway and realize that is what they want by the end.

Then another conflict presents itself in the form of her finding out that she can't stop eating as her appetite is now out of control but she doesn't really want to solve it now because she loves getting bigger, so now she needs to solve her appetite but doesn't want to.

The conflict is she wants to keep eating and getting fatter but she needs to figure out what's causing this and stop it before she can't.

Does this work or did I mess it up? I don't know, thakns for your help in advance I hope I got this right.
3 years

lydsville:
I may have figured it out but I keep feeling like I'm getting it wrong somehow.

Does this work or did I mess it up? I don't know, thakns for your help in advance I hope I got this right.

There's really no right or wrong way to write. As long as you're doing it, you're not doing it "wrong" it just takes practice and confidence. Write what you have now then revise and beef it up later! That's basically how I do all of mine. The answers you're seeking will come to you just be patient and work on the ones now that you can.

First drafts are never about writing it right, just writing at all.
3 years

Givne how much this problem has been stressing me out and somethings that happened to me recent that I didn't go into here I decided to ask for help on mental health and someone has pointed out what might actually be my issue, I'm a perfectionist (I knew this but thought, whatever there are Hollywood directors that are perfectionists who cna somehow pump out movies easily and be okay, so I shouldn't have any problems right...)

So my problem is exactly that, I don't ever want to just make something, I want to make the best thing I can possible make at the time and then the next time go even further and even better. Alas, this might be what could kill me in the end as I have put my body on the line for this more than once.

I've refused to let myself out of my room to eat anything until I get something done with the project, refused to let myself sleep until I get something done, both enough until the point where I feel myself about to pass out or even after I already have, [placed myself into situation which I knew would negatively affect me and still did it because in my won words "the project is worth more than me."

So now I honestly have to ask a question that I've been avoiding, I want to make a fetish game unlike all the others I've seen that would have an enriching story and beautiful graphics, something that is actually fun while at the same time is a full gameplay experience and not just easy fap material, but maybe I'm not the one who can do it.

The problem is that I feel if I get it wrong on the first go then we can't go back and do it again, we'd need to go through all of this again, we'd need a new idea to not be called out for using the same one again and then we'd have to go through all the struggles of the first project just to possibly meet the same result and given the first result was failure then I'll take that in the wrong way to mean no one is interested in this project at all and therefore there is no point in trying again.

So should I perhaps cancel this project and try to do something to escape worrying about perfection in something like this somehow, or should I keep going but figure out someway to escape these pitfalls?

I don't know how to escape these pitfalls and I don't know where to ask. I feel like I'm bringing others down in this pit of hell with me by asking too and I'd rather not. That said, I don't want to just cancel the project but what choice have I, if I can't do it then I just can't do it so what's the point in trying?

I'm sorry, I just don't know what to do. (I hope I didn't bog anyone down with this post, sorry)
3 years

I thought it over and decided it is probably just best I just cancel the project and work on taking care of myself for a while. Sorry if I bothered anybody, hope everyone's okay.

Maybe I'll try again but I don't know.
3 years

You definitely didn't bother anyone; at least, not me!

It's not fair to compare yourself to a hot-shot director because not only is film an entirely different medium but movies take an ENORMOUS team to make. Filming isn't easy anyway but it's a much longer process than people think, especially when making *good* ones!

I was just reading literally last night about the 80/20 rule. It might be useful for you to read up on in relation to writing.

Perfect writing *can* and sometimes does exist, and I used to be overwhelmed by that need to be perfect, too, but it held me back! I've learned to see writing as sculpting. You start off with a hunk of clay and just keep working it. In most cases, you can adjust things if something isn't working out. And you just keep shaping it until it feels just right over time.

Yes I even do this with my feedist writing. I push to have fun first and just get the idea out and then I shape it. It never ever comes out perfect on the first pass, ever!

But of course your health comes first so if you think you need to focus on that, you should. Your ideas will still be waiting when you're ready smiley
3 years

Well, with the type of game I wanted to make (an FMv game) the lines do actually cross over, and I was looking into how would I make the fully CGI scene we'd need for the game.

That and as you said, they have a team, something of which I've felt I've needed this whole time, a group of people who might have the answers and maybe I can better communicate my ideas to.

I've always had issues communicating with people and I'm not sure if that would help either but at the least they may know how to bring my idea to life when I don't.

I agree that less is more, I was trying that in my project and basically felt it needed more, so I don't know how to apply it to me other than to do something easier instead.

My problem isn't I'm actually trying to aim for perfection, it's that my brain won't leave anything alone until it's perfect and therefore I have to make to something perfect or else it's just not something worth anyone's time. I can't help it, it's an actual problem that I have.

Yes, I do need to focus on my health. I'm not sure how far into details I can go but I worked myself to the point of having to fight passing out just the other day but this time it was because I felt if I passed out then that was it, no more me. I decided I didn't want to die for this project and started frantically looking for answers from people on forums and in videos on YouTube but alas I finally looked at what I was doing and decided that working on this project was just painful in various ways.

So I had to ask if it was really worth the pain, I finally decided that it wasn't. So, thank you for the understanding but yes I need to go take care of myself. Thank you, sorry if I bothered anyone with that one but I felt some context was needed.
3 years
12   loading