Fat experiences

What is life like after a 100lbs gain?

I have gained about 25lbs so far in quarantine and I'm still enjoying it, so now I've started to think ahead to what might be next. I find the concept of gaining a full 100 to be really enticing, but as I've been thin my whole life (even now I'm only just beginning to hit the upper range of normal bmi), I don't really have any idea what that would be like.
For those that have gained this much or more, what is life like for you? I'll take any kind of info- the pros, cons, how your family/friends reacted, things that became more difficult or impossible- whatever you feel like adding. I'm trying to get as close to a full picture as I can before I really decide to give this a try.
3 years

If it's a slow gain over a long period, you may not pay much attention to it, and "wake up" one day 100 pounds heavier.

If it's a quick 100 pounds over a short period of time, you're probably going to run into health problems.

Pants get tighter, shirts fit differently. Classic Fit shirts need to be a size larger, so they aren't snug around the belly and chest and neck. (I guess that is why the clearance rack was full of them...)

Everyone says I look better, I was too skinny before.

A couple people I know posted the "A good man is like a good steak. They both have a bit of fat on them." meme.

The belly can get in the way when bending over.

Also:
It seems that the more you weigh, the easier the next 'decade' mark gets... 200 to 210 to 220...
3 years

You’ll look luxurious, I’m sure :-) My other half is about 180 pounds heavier than her lightest weight in adulthood, which was more than 20 years ago :-) Combination of medication and three pregnancies, which will surely do it :-) She is roughly 310 pounds and damn confident in her own skin :-)
3 years

It is going to depend a fair bit on how tall you are, how active you are (both for how strong you are to carry the weight, and for how soon you notice the difference in weight), and how you are built. Personally I've only put on ~65 pounds in adulthood (over many years) so I couldn't fully answer that. But I can say what I've observed of my wife who put on over 90 pounds in the first half dozen years that we were together, and then has bounced around near that max in the many years since.

For reference:
-She started at a BMI of ~23, and ended up ~38..
-about 5'7",
-all hip and thigh (even when thin).
-When we met she was walking about 90 minutes most days (to/from university) plus walking between classes and at a part time job, but didn't do other activities. So strong legs and decent endurance but not otherwise especially fit.

We got married about 2/3 of the way through that, and at that time she really hadn't noticed much changing her life with the weight gain, other than having to move to plus sized clothes (a LOT less options). But at our wedding she realized how much her ankles and feet swelled up when standing for a long time at that size, kind of puffing out of her shoes a bit by the end.

Around that same time she tried to pick up some winter sports, but found that combined with previous ankle damage the weight was too much for her with skating, she didn't have the strength to support her ankles (she had barely skated before so didn't have the balance and technique that would have helped there). And with cross country skiing she kept falling at first, and eventually we realized that her thighs were two thick for her to follow existing set tracks (which have the two skis really close together)

At about bmi 36 she began to 'feel fat' which I'd say was mostly that the fat was beginning to become more noticeable in everyday life. But she began to bike regularly around then, and if she was slow at first and struggled with hills it went fine. She began to really notice the heat more around that point, and had more problems with the legs of shorts riding up between her thighs when walking.

When she first hit her heaviest her walking had noticeably slowed, she had been a faster than average walker but if I unconsciously went my normal pace she had to ask me to slow down else she'd be out of breath quickly. Also having to step aside to let people pass sometimes. One flight of stairs was still no big deal, but two called for a few seconds break at the top to catch her breath. She began to have issues with some chairs.

No family really said anything, although who knows what they thought. I had one friend make a couple of comments to me about her size, but he's an ass like that in general.

In the years since then she's bounced up and down by twenty or thirty pounds a few times, always eventually getting back up to around that previous high. Now even at her heaviest she bikes at a pretty good clip and can handle substantial hills, and doesn't have to take a break after two flights of stairs. Strength/stamina caught up with the weight eventually I guess. A few more tries on skating and cross country skiing and those are both no goes still. Most people who know her now have only known her fat, so that is just who she is to them. Never any comments at jobs or school council or the like. A lot of stores carry up to her size now so clothes have gotten easier (although still not as easy as at size 14 or less).

FWIW I'm at BMI ~36 now, and last year I was still skating fine at BMI ~34 (although leaning over far enough to tighten my skates was tough), so I think her skating issues are not absolute with the weight. I can say that for me around bmi 34-35 I really began to feel fat, with more issues bending over, slowing in my walk, and just rubbing against my own body more (thigh on thigh, arm on side fat roll, belly on thigh, double chin on neck when looking down, etc). Occasionally I get annoyed or impatient at the limitation from this size, but I also love the softness and roundness, the occasional jiggles or feeling of my belly swaying. There are good things about being thinner, but for me at least there are plenty of good things about being fat too.
3 years

Life is very different. I went from 170 to 300 and now at 300 I have to consider EVERYTHING. Seating, walking distances, traveling, day to day like groceries, showering, standing for cooking etc are way more labor intensive/tiring. I’m just about sized out of the last few clothing stores like ross so that’s something to consider too. Edit to add that the way you move changes too- my arms don’t go straight down anymore, my feet stand wider, can’t reach the floor if I’m bending over from a chair, bending over from standing takes new moves/stability, different parts of my body fall asleep more regularly, I need more pillows to sleep comfortably. On and on. Not sure where your 100 lbs will take you up to but that type of weight changes daily life for sure.
3 years

dulces:
Life is very different. I went from 170 to 300 and now at 300 I have to consider EVERYTHING. Seating, walking distances, traveling, day to day like groceries, showering, standing for cooking etc are way more labor intensive/tiring.

In the last two-three years i have gained a similar amount of weight, and have seen similar results to what you describe. some of it isn't just the weight, but less activity and exercise in my daily life.

walking and stairs are the biggest consideration for me. i try to plan out my movements so i don't have to get up from my desk any more frequently than necessary, and absolutely try to minimize how many times i have to climb stairs.

the other change that is big for me but not noticeable to others is body grooming - i can't "manscape" my body hair like i could when i was thin anymore. :/
3 years

I think it also matters where you start. My first 100 was 150 to 250. I could move around the world with out much thought. Clothes did not fit perfect like before but I could still pull stuff off the rack at my local retailer. As I am approaching the next 100 pound milestone it is a whole new ball game. Lot of the spontaneity is gone. Have to research restaurants for tables instead of booths. Throw in extra planning for travel. Also extra conscious where I sit in public. if I will fit in the chair or if it will support my weight.
3 years

Nice pictures, the weight looks great on you, to bad if people can’t relate
3 years

Everything became "big man" "chief" as all of a sudden I reminded folks 100 lbs ago as BigBoi from Outkast or Cedric the Entertainer to Comedian Bruce Bruce or Biggie Smalls.
I like to dress well so those smaller really saw it as competition if I shined 1 day, feeling I couldn't keep up or be limited in what to wear etc.
Though the biggest change I went through in those 100 lbs would be my thoughts going from "Why aren't people not sitting next to me?" to "Only hoping a child will sit there as I don't want to squish myself for others to be comfortable".
3 years