Lifestyle tips

Likelihood of someone re-gaining weight back?

Hey all,

So I met my girlfriend about a year ago, after she had just lost 40+ pounds in 4 or 5 months.

She was 345 and got all the way down to about 290 or 295 when we met. However she is 6 feet tall so she doesn't look nearly as big as most would at that size.

I am incredibly attracted to her and would never ask or pressure her to gain for me, but I've seen pictures of her at her higher weight and she was absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

Since we became official last March she's gone back up to 300 and stayed there since. She used to often talk about losing more weight early in our relationship but hasn't mentioned it much for months.

She eats slightly less than me (a thin guy) at most meals and enjoys healthy foods, hiking, and takes care of herself.
Often she'll only have one or two meals a day, with maybe a few snacks. If she stayed at this weight consistently I'd still be very happy, and she seems to have plateaued with weight loss months ago.

She's 31, and has hypothyroidism and PCOS, both known to cause weight gain. She's also a smoker, who wants to quit, which again can cause WG as well. In addition she has a job on her feet all day, but may be switching to a desk job for more pay.

Although her appitite is somewhat minimal, usually there are a few nights a week where she really likes to snack, and will have some pizza and go through a bag or two of chips and candy. Anything potato related is her weakness for sure lol.

Anyhow, I love her very much, and will stick with her long term even if she loses weight

TL;DR

Girlfriend lost 40 pounds in 5 months before meeting me. She doesn't eat much and has an active job, has plateaued for 9 months.

I'm just wondering what is the likelihood she'll gain back that 40 pounds over time?
3 years

Hard to say really everyone is different.
I have lost weight several times and always gained it back.
I deal with compulsive overeating so thats why I always regain the weight eventually.
3 years

Most people gain the weight back eventually, but 'eventually' can be well down the road.

Generally changes in life that disrupt habits make it easier to slip back into a fatter life (it typically takes organization and discipline to live the lifestyle that keeps weight off)). Although sometimes those disruptions in life can lead to weight loss, all depending on what they are and how the person reacts. But by the sounds of it she is leading a moderately disciplined life right now, so it seems less likely that a change would lead to even more weight loss.

Basically, I wouldn't count on it, but it is reasonable to still hope for it
3 years

Depends on their natural set-point. Medications, Stress-eating, genetics, slower metabolism due to age are factors that affect a few but not all as far as regaining. Scientists feel that since the fat cells shrunk vs disappearing when losing weight, its easier for them to grow in size thus regaining with ease.
3 years

NYCBellyBlimp:
Depends on their natural set-point. Medications, Stress-eating, genetics, slower metabolism due to age are factors that affect a few but not all as far as regaining. Scientists feel that since the fat cells shrunk vs disappearing when losing weight, its easier for them to grow in size thus regaining with ease.

I recently had to switch up and my doctors wanted me to lose weight and I am doing it slowly but when you have food and fat addiction like I do then anything will trigger me and I will be housebound
3 years

WideJuan76:
I recently had to switch up and my doctors wanted me to lose weight and I am doing it slowly but when you have food and fat addiction like I do then anything will trigger me and I will be housebound[/quote]

Very slippery slope, as each day is a challenge.
3 years

WideJuan76:
I recently had to switch up and my doctors wanted me to lose weight and I am doing it slowly but when you have food and fat addiction like I do then anything will trigger me and I will be housebound

NYCBellyBlimp:
Very slippery slope, as each day is a challenge.[/quote]

That it is but unless we get gastric bypass the probabilities aren't in our favor. Most of us who actually tried to manifest that obese lifestyle will most likely be housebound in our future
3 years

True though bariatric sleeves nor gastric bypass are successful for very long, if food addiction remains or comes back stronger.
3 years

NYCBellyBlimp:
True though bariatric sleeves nor gastric bypass are successful for very long, if food addiction remains or comes back stronger.

Either way, sooner or later we will give in. The truth is, for most if us it is a matter of time
3 years

WideJuan76:
Either way, sooner or later we will give in. The truth is, for most if us it is a matter of time[/quote]

it is harder to put in the rear view mirror long term, the further down and stronger the pull and need to be comforted by food.
3 years
12   loading