Lifestyle tips

Clothing as you grow

I find that pants with an elastic waistband that DON'T require a belt work best for the growing person. As for tops, I prefer ones that are a little loose, since they ride up less. But let's face it, your shirts are going to ride up more and more as you grow. For footwear, I personally prefer sandals, flip-flops, Crocs, or just going barefoot, since all of those options allow the foot to spread out a bit more.

What's everyone else's preferences as they grow?
3 years

Clothing as you grow

KatCT:
I’ve been only wearing stretchy pants and loose tops. I’m getting really fat it’s obvious

Since I started working from home 10 months ago, I've found that I'm wearing leggings more and more often. They're far more accommodating to my increasing size.
3 years

Clothing as you grow

Here's a thought that may not work for everyone, but may work for some. The psychological effect will of course vary from one person to another.

Get clothes that are somewhat too big for you.

If I use clothes that fit a little snugly, that kind of makes me think that I'm already a decent size and don't need more, which is opposite of the intended effect.

So, you'd want to get clothes that are slightly too big. It's a subtle reminder that you're still too thin and that you need to eat more.

While my rate of gain has slowed or even sometimes plateau'd somewhat (likely the result of certain external stress factors), I've noticed that so far, if I get larger clothes, I will eventually gain and expand, however quickly or slowly, until they too are snug.

For men, you'd need belts or suspenders since the waist will be too loose. Fortunately, women have the option of a dress.

But if this suggestion doesn't work for you, that's fine too. I know some folks interpret the snug feeling differently, as a reason and encouragement to gain more.
3 years

Clothing as you grow

I've bought clothes 2-3 sizes too big with the thinking I could fill them out. The flip side was that it felt cumbersome to have the added weight of bulkier clothing on top of my own.
Thankfully, though took years to build confidence to where I could wear smaller clothes or fitting clothes that are lighter. I had to get out of the mentality of "hiding" as I saw what fashion youtubers were talking about that oversized clothes take away from your shape. I still have pairs for the higher end of the spectrum just in case though.
3 years

Clothing as you grow

It really does take awhile to get up the courage to start wearing smaller and tighter clothes. It was important for me that my gain be obvious to people, which meant wearing shirts that gapped at the buttons when I sat and T-shirts with my belly peeking out underneath. You really do have to get used to it, but the remarks and looks you get are so worth it.
3 years

Clothing as you grow

It takes awhile but, at least for me, it's an important part of fattening up. Most of my clothes are now bought specifically to look a little too small or tight.
3 years

Clothing as you grow

I would buy clothes a few sizes larger. When I wore a 22/24 top; I would buy a 26/28 top; just to grow into that size. Then, when I use to wear a size 26/28 top, I moved up to a size 30/32 top to fill out.
3 years

Clothing as you grow

Elastic pants are best for any big person, man or woman. I hit 200 recently (finally!) and find the most comfortable things I own are my 40-42 waist boxer shorts :-) My wife is about 310-315 and has likely gained some recently, as her 46-DDD bra is digging in again — time for an even bigger bra! Every pair of pants she owns is an elastic waistband and she hasn’t worn underwear since she was in high school :-) With a waist that’s probably about 52 inches, why bother? :-) She really beautifies long dresses; wears a 28-30 in those.
3 years

Clothing as you grow

pizzafoodie:
My preference is 100% leggings, I like them because they are stretchy and allow room for my belly. I bought some 2X but it’s looking like I need to go up to the next size soon.

Leggings are quite flattering to a larger lady’s legs provided the sizes are available. Perhaps some pics once you find the next pair?
3 years

Clothing as you grow

I have been doing leggings and oversized shirts. They seem to give me the most mileage. I think I am at a point where jeans just don’t work.
3 years
12   loading