Story authors

Old stories being reposted

I think my answer to the question is yes and no (in that order).

On the one hand, one author clogging up the front page probably makes it more difficult for new authors to get noticed. So that's not good. Also, it is a little annoying to have to search for stories rather than just glance over the front page. So, I can see how you're getting tired of it. For those reasons, I guess I'm getting a little tired of it too, but I don't think I can totally fault the author in question.

I'm not sure if there is a perfect system for balancing the front page, it seems like it is always an issue. I think a few months (or years) back the issue was people gaming the system by asking for likes in return for posting chapters of their stories. Anyway, authors want exposure, and if money is involved that only makes the incentive greater to use the system to your advantage.

So, on the other hand, the author in question appears to be one of the most popular on the website, people clearly like their stories, and if the author is out to gather financial support from fans of their work then I wish him the best of luck. It is rough sometimes wishing for everybody to succeed in a system that benefits some people at the cost of others.

Maybe try reaching out to the author with a pm, it could clarify what is going on. In my experience, most wg authors are fairly chill.

I do hope things on the front page go back to being more balanced, to be perfectly frank, four stories out of ten up there by the same author does seem like a little to much.
3 years

Totally agree on that tbh, it seems to be always the same ones lately
3 years

The recently updated story filter is going to be improved going forwards. Currently if an author edits anything - even a single character, the site recognises this as a change, and will then add this to the updated stories listings. Obviously we only want stories being added to this section that have had new chapters added.

In regards to the content... We don't have much control over what authors are updating. If the content is old it could be that they are bringing an older story back to life, maybe it was put on hold due to writers block and want to get back into that particular plot line... Your guess is as good as ours on this one, but I don't think members are updating stories just for listing priority.

Premium stories do not get preferential treatment on the recently updated story page. You may see two versions of the same story. Some authors with an earnings accounts create a free version and a premium version to entice upgrades and commissions for their work. This is not something designed by the site, but something some authors do to promote their work.

I would suggest using the following feature to follow and get updates for particular authors you are interested in... This way you can get updates from your favourite stories and authors without having to search for the content.

We have so much free content in the story section and I can assure you we are not trying to pressure users into upgrading. However there is a fine line and a balance to be had. We can certainly look into the search and filter options on the story section going forwards... but how members use our site is always going to adapt and change. Updating old content is not breaking site rules... and I don't think people are abusing this for their own advantage... I could be wrong but if you suspect this is the case it's best to report them to us.

Hope that helps.

c00kie
FF Team
3 years

FF Team:
The recently updated story filter is going to be improved going forwards. Currently if an author edits anything - even a single character, the site recognises this as a change, and will then add this to the updated stories listings. Obviously we only want stories being added to this section that have had new chapters added.

In regards to the content... We don't have much control over what authors are updating. If the content is old it could be that they are bringing an older story back to life, maybe it was put on hold due to writers block and want to get back into that particular plot line... Your guess is as good as ours on this one, but I don't think members are updating stories just for listing priority.

Premium stories do not get preferential treatment on the recently updated story page. You may see two versions of the same story. Some authors with an earnings accounts create a free version and a premium version to entice upgrades and commissions for their work. This is not something designed by the site, but something some authors do to promote their work.

I would suggest using the following feature to follow and get updates for particular authors you are interested in... This way you can get updates from your favourite stories and authors without having to search for the content.

We have so much free content in the story section and I can assure you we are not trying to pressure users into upgrading. However there is a fine line and a balance to be had. We can certainly look into the search and filter options on the story section going forwards... but how members use our site is always going to adapt and change. Updating old content is not breaking site rules... and I don't think people are abusing this for their own advantage... I could be wrong but if you suspect this is the case it's best to report them to us.

Hope that helps.

c00kie
FF Team

Yeah I'm guilty of that. I recently re-mastered all but one of my stories just to fit the new theme I'm going for. I added banner pics and a host element to them.

I didnt know it would clog up the new stories feed to do that though. My bad
3 years

GembotBeepBoop:
The latest JM Ross offering is four years old and surprisingly shorter than it used to be.
What new content do you think they're offering?
Absolute farce.

It’s bullshit they can be allowed to delete it after a few months only for them to repost it a few months after that. It’s such bs. I’ve seen many of those same stories being reposted. It makes it harder for us smaller writers to get seen. -.-
3 years