Gaining

Best way to break a plateau?

I've been eating well above my BMR consistently for weeks but I'm stuck at 371. Would it be better to eat below it for a few days or should I push myself and try eating way more, or...? Does anyone know how to best get over a plateau like this?
3 years

I've often wondered this myself. Trying to plan for the future if I hit a plateau. One guess would be to go all out and try and over eat your way thru it. Another way I was thinking about is to fast for a day or so. With no food for those days your body might go into starvation mode and start to hold onto every calorie it can. I have no idea if either would work. But there is only so many things you can do. Eat or not eat, lol. Try one and try the other and see if there is any difference.
Also, not sure if you do, but keep a food journal. It helps you keep track of what you are eating and drinking and how many calories you are taking in. You may be able to pinpoint where the problem lies. Hope that helps a little. Best of luck! Let us know what ends up working for you. I would love to know that info if/when I hit a plateau in the future. smiley
3 years

I hit a plateau and my boyfriend is having me do shakes twice a day until I start gaining again. So far it seems to be working.
3 years

Would love to break mine. Stuck on 192 or so for a long time now.
3 years

Hugo-Felix:
From my experience it’s best to cut calories when hitting a plateau and to keep on doing this for a week (perhaps even two weeks). Say if you consumed 4000 calories every day, you should cut that down to 1500 or something. When I went back to 4000 calories again something happened and I’ve been gaining more and more weight ever since.

That doesn't cause your capacity to shrink?

It's very frustrating when my capacity doesn't increase and if I go awhile and not eat as much, capacity seems to go down somewhat.
3 years

Vestalund:
I've been eating well above my BMR consistently for weeks but I'm stuck at 371. Would it be better to eat below it for a few days or should I push myself and try eating way more, or...? Does anyone know how to best get over a plateau like this?
my advice is go on a 1500 cal a day diet but eat stuff that keeps ur stomach stretched out ur metabolism goes ooo need to store fat not sure when next meal is coming and i did this dropped 10lbs and then went back to 4000 - 5000 cals a day and broke though
3 years