Gaining

Maltodextrin and visceral fat?

Toss1414:
I'm going on a month long session of 1 quart of heavy cream a day.

I'm thinking of adding maltodextrin to my shakes. Would the maltodextrin lead to more subcutaneous or visceral fat storage?

Anyone with similar experience?

Regardless of either the desired or actual results, there's something I have to point out.

For whatever reason, adding maltodextrin powder also seems to cause the fat to clump up, making it undrinkable. That of course means you end up not drinking it at all.

I can't remember the exact ratio I used, but I think it was something like 1/2 a cup maltodextrin powder, 1 cup water or translucent fruit juice drink (think something like lemonade), and 1 cup cream.

It also tasted pretty bad. Definitely didn't taste like lemon meringue pie.

It's possible that with a different ratio it would have been different.
3 years

Toss1414:
So if I want to gain just soft jiggly fat, should I avoid sugars completely? Or maybe even carbs completely?

I’m not sure what the threshold is to minimize visceral fat.

becomingoverweight:
Not completely, just don't use sugar to gain. If your insulin levels are higher while storing the fat from heavy cream, more of the fat will become part of your visceral fat deposit.

On the other hand, many people find that heavy cream needs sweetened to make it palatable. Just don't sweeten it any more than necessary.
3 years

nmky:
But isn't maltodextrin a complex carbohydrate?

On paper it's a complex carbohydrate only because of its low-sugar content. But it has a glycemic index, 130, literally twice that of table sugar, 65.

So it goes through the digestive system and into the bloodstream very quickly. And spikes insulin much higher and faster than straight sugar.
3 years

No.
It actually works the other way around. The fats in the heavy cream slow down the absorption of the maltodextrin, which is actually a good thing since maltodextrin spikes your blood sugar so high. It can easily cause diabetes.

There are a number of companies that have settled major lawsuits because they were substituting maltodextrin for sugar and selling the products as "no sugar added" "sugar free". And it caused major health issues in a lot of consumers.
3 years