General

The bmi bomb!

For so long now (2007) Doctors and people on TV have said that BMI weigh inns are an accurate way to measure weather or not someone is over weight or obese.

It's all Bullshit and is inconclusive because BMI weigh inns do not weigh mussel weight (which is heavier than fat) and they don't weigh bone mass which has got to weight a lot because without a Skelton you wouldn't be able to move.

Then theirs water weight that also must weigh something because the human body is around 80% water.

Then theirs the organ weight they have to weigh something.

If your a doctor/nurse you cannot put somebody on a set of scales and say that someone is obese just because they are above 185 pounds! that analyzes is void and very black and white.

Unless doctors can find a way of weighing somebody and taking all of the above into consideration then BMI is void and needs to be struck OFF!

In 2008 my mother said that if I had a BMI weigh in at the doctors the computer would say that I'm obese and in reply I said "well the computer can ***! because I am not obese and I know it!"

Obese to me is somebody who can't work and look after them self's and is in pain all the time because their so big.

Obese to me is someone who really is impaired by their size on a daily basis.

If you can hold down a full time job and manage to keep your home tidy and you don't need a mobility scooter to get about and you can make love then you are not obese!

Your just so sexy that it over flows xxxxx
3 years

The bmi bomb!

Most of the medical community is aware that BMI is flawed, but it is better than weight alone and is easy to gather. Body fat percentage would be a lot better measure, but that is hard to gather with any accuracy. There is some argument that waist circumference is actually a better measure than BMI, but that is still under discussion.

And of course you are free to use words however you want, but your definition of 'obese' is certainly very different than that of most people (not even taking into account the medical community).
3 years

The bmi bomb!

Edxl:
Most of the medical community is aware that BMI is flawed, but it is better than weight alone and is easy to gather. Body fat percentage would be a lot better measure, but that is hard to gather with any accuracy. There is some argument that waist circumference is actually a better measure than BMI, but that is still under discussion.

And of course you are free to use words however you want, but your definition of 'obese' is certainly very different than that of most people (not even taking into account the medical community).

I believe that my definition of 'obese' is the only good one and the correct one xx
3 years

The bmi bomb!

BMI is mostly flawed because we're misusing it. It isn't designed for assessment of an individual in mind. It's designed to give information on a community.
The higher the average number the lower the overall health of a community.It doesn't take into consideration things like muscle because it's not a diagnostic tool, it's a statistical one. The higher your number the more likely certain medical issues are to be present. It isn't perfect, but is generally a fair indicator of public health.
3 years

The bmi bomb!

GainingLear:
BMI is mostly flawed because we're misusing it. It isn't designed for assessment of an individual in mind. It's designed to give information on a community.
The higher the average number the lower the overall health of a community.It doesn't take into consideration things like muscle because it's not a diagnostic tool, it's a statistical one. The higher your number the more likely certain medical issues are to be present. It isn't perfect, but is generally a fair indicator of public health.

My understanding is that the BMI index was created by insurance companies to gage risk. When I was in the USCG we were weighed and evaluated by taking the circumference of your wrist to determine body type, I.e. heavy skeletal build vs. lighter build. In the USN they measured neck circumference to gage. I always had to be measured even before I started to gain.
3 years

The bmi bomb!

what you said about insurance companies is one of the most intelligent things I've heard on this mater and very logical.

People will do anything to get rich even if it means a life time of unhappiness and self hate for other individual's
3 years