Lifestyle tips

Healty and fat

LondonFA:
Re sumo:

The median is quite high but higher ranks including yokozuna do have higher mortality. This is common in elite sports in general as the competitive regime is punishing. My mother was on team GB in the 70s and has significant hip problems in her 50s and early 60s. She also has a number of friends from sports who have dropped prematurely from cancer. Competitive sport is punishing and to reach the top you must sacrifice your health.
Further to this though, although the sumo 1 gorging a day diet is better than 3x fast food plus al2x starbucks and a family bag of.M&Ms for avoiding diabetes, one should consider that from.sun up until the chankonabe is in front of them, sumo are training and training hard.

I visited kokonoe beya in 2006 and it was an intense regime.

Diet and moderate consistant exercise maintain a higher chance of being healthy as we age no matter what.

As an anecdote: I found my 69year old step father dead 4 weeks ago from a heart attack. He looked fit and healthy until the day he died, still could see his abs, but, it was all crunches and a low cal diet. Drove to the pub, and drank vodka and diet coke. Hardened his arteries and his heart was not strong.

My grandmother (only overweight member of the family) walked everywhere up and down the yorkshire hills and along the beach in sitges spain, for shopping, for leisure, but ate 4k calories a day for a lot of her adult life and weighed just shy of 18stone at 5'3. Her knees suffered but she lasted until she was in her mid 90s. Drank 2 glasses of red a day, a lot.of water, cooked every meal except the occasional restaurant, worked like an ox until she was 45 but maintained steady constant activity throughout her middle.age and autumn years.

Summary, if you want to gain or just be fat but be as healthy as you can, do it cautiously with a larger than needed medium sugar, medium salt diet and with moderate constant activity.

william keay:
That's a very interesting analysis you have there.

A lot of what you've said about the Sumo diet is what I'm trying to promote smiley

With the right diet and activity it really is possible to be fat and healthy and have the long life you want to have with the correct balance

Amen to that. Hard to square with the death feedists that are popping up everywhere but I guess the aims of the steady gaining lifestyle aren't in line with their wishes.
3 years

Healty and fat

I'll also add that sumo diet is very healthy, and training while eating such a diet will pretty much make you immune to any adverse effects that's widely advertised in the mainstream media. Even scientists confirmed this (there are some articles and documentaries). Of course your knees may hurt from all that weight after a while, but that is physics.

If someone wants to argue that sumo wrestlers in general have shorter lives - there are a lot of factors for that: They stop training, they may actually indulge in a far worse diet than chanko nabe. And let's not forget, sumo wrestlers (while training) consume huge amounts of alcohol, and for a very long time, which isn't generally healthy. You obviously don't have to do that, so that's one of the factors gone. Wrestling itself takes a toll on the body too.

Some wrestlers do live up to their 90s, that wouldn't be possible if their obesity was universally bad. You have to do a far more detailed scientific research before you can slap "it's not healthy" on such matters.
3 years

Healty and fat

sumo wrestlers (while training) consume huge amounts of alcohol

That makes me want to be a sumo wrestler twice as much. how much Alcohol do they consume I love Alcohol xxxxxx
3 years
12   loading