Food and recipes

French cuisine

Here I'll share my personal favorites, a few of which I already shared on Feabie (under the same pseudo) 🤗
This shouldn't be exclusively French classics but I'll try to keep it "French style" (lots of cheese & wine, etc.).
It's mostly vegetarian 'cause I am one myself, but you can always add lard and meat to most of the dishes if you like, I won't judge you too severely I promess 🙄 In any case trust me, it's only rich and fattening stuff 😏
3 years

French cuisine

French cuisine n°1: carrot tatin, simple yet amazing

1000 g = 1 kg. = 35 oz = 2.2 lbs
1 cup = 0.25 l.

For the dough (pastry type):
- 200 g flour

- 100 g butter 🧈

- a bit of water

- a pinch of salt 🧂

For garnish:
- 500 g carrot 🥕

- more butter 🧈

- sour cream (as much as you want 😏)

- a bit of sugar

- (chive) 🌿

1. Peel and cut your carrots into rather thin slices, then brown them directly in a pie pan with a generous quantity of butter (you don't want it to stick to the pan) with a big tablespoon of sugar. This will make 'em caramelize ever so slighlty
2. Let cool

3. For the dough, let the butter warm up to room temperature, or put it shortly in the microwave, then knead everything by hand or using a robot. The water must be added until the dough is malleable, you can always add up some flour if you fail

4. Flour the table and roll the dough

5. Cover your carrots with the dough and pierce a hole with a knife at the center

6. Put it in a warm oven for 10-30 minutes depending on the temperature and your taste

7. Serve warm topped with sour cream, chive and pepper

Bon appétit !
3 years

French cuisine

French cuisine n°2: cheese fondue (fondue savoyarde), edible decadence

For two very solid appetites

1000 g = 35 oz = 2.2 lbs

0.25 l = 1 cup

- 100 g. Emmental cheese or 'Tomme de Savoie' 🧀

- 200 g. Beaufort cheese 🧀

- 200 g. Comté cheese 🧀 (if you don't have access to those specific cheeses, any mix of different varieties of 'Swiss-like' hard cow cheeses will do the trick)

- 15 cl. white dry (fruity) wine 🍷

- a nice big loaf of crusty bread 🥖

- nutmeg

- garlic 🧄

- 1 egg yolk 🥚

1. Put a lil' bit of wine in a fondue set (or a cooking pot if you don't have one) previously rubbed with garlic. Wait until it quivers, then slowly add all the cheese cut in small cubes, while stirring constantly
2. Once the cheese has melted, put a bit of nutmeg (less than a teaspoon) in the rest of the wine, and add it to the fondue

3. Pepper and serve directly in the fondue appliance or the cooking pot, maintained warm (you can arrange candles beneath the pot if there ain't too much to keep warm and melted, otherwise you may need something more powerful).

4. Dip the bread directly in the cheese using a fork

5. To 'clean' the bottom of the pot, you can delay with the egg yolk. Would be too bad to waste a good cheese.

And again, bon appétit !
3 years