Fat experiences

Coping with old body shaming memories?

Two incidents embarrassed me because they were in front of other people. One was kind of funny.

The funny one was with my father. I was about 25-26 years old and had my own apartment. I stopped at my parents house dressed for work, jacket, tie, etc. I was standing by the kitchen sink when my father said “you’re getting a little portly”. I actually thought it was funny and said yeah I know. Lol

The two other times really pissed me off. At a family party my aunt blurted out in front of others “uh, you got kind of tubby”. I just mumbled something like yeah well and shrugged. She actually did it again another time. Pissed me off again.

Yet another time I ran into a coworker I hadn’t seen in some years. In the middle of a sentence, again in front of others, he stopped himself and said “you got chubby”.

Because I was defensive back then about my weight it took me a long time to realize and accept they were just ignorant. Now, should someone pull a stunt like that I say almost proudly “why yes, yes I have”. 😄
2 years