General

Peace with declined life expectancy? *trigger warning*

Forgive me if this topic isn’t good to bring up, but just in case *TRIGGER WARNING*

How do you and your family/friends accept and deal with the fact that you have a declined life expectancy? Especially if you are purposely gaining?

I’m curious because I’m on my journey to 333 and am expecting that to have an effect and I have my own reasons to be at peace and ok with it but how about you? How do you and your family and friends handle that deep and life changing subject?
2 years

Using the life expectancy calculator, on average you're only shaving off 10 years of your planned obsolence, which is only an expectation due to medical data and the odds of comorbidities. Just as no exercise can weaken the body due to poor blood flow and a weakened immune system, athletes who push themselves every day are almost as likely to kick the bucket at the same time. Meanwhile, obese individuals are rarer the older you get due to muscle atrophy and lack of appetite, so if you somehow can still gain weight when elderly, you can break the odds if you can do so healthily.

Oh, and sodium and preservatives. If you can stay away from fast food and use more natural ingredients, high blood pressure is likely not to be an issue.

tl;dr cardio and non-junk diet is often the magic bullet for healthy individuals, as long as you can turn off "gainer mode" and learn to eat responsibly before insulin sensitivity turns into diabetes
2 years

When you are 20, and having a life expectancy until 60 is no big deal. However, when you are 59, and having a life expectancy to 60, is a big deal.
2 years

There is increasing scientific doubt that being fat is the thing that shortens your life expectancy. Scientific studies on fatness generally do not control for things like weight cycling (yo-yo dieting), weight stigma, and weight bias. The added stress of being fat in a fatphobic world can absolutely shorten one’s life and make one more vulnerable to disease, and weight cycling is extremely stressful and damaging on the body (though I doubt many intentional gainers do much yo-yo dieting - or dieting at all for that matter), and beyond that, doctor bias plays a huge role in fat deaths. Most doctors won’t even test a fat patient or prescribe treatment until the patient loses weight. Which is especially infuriating because science does not know a way to shrink bodies, even dieting and food restriction result in short term weight loss, but long term weight gain. Intentional weight loss fails for 95% of people. So get a good doctor, there are websites that list doctors that are Health at Every Size informed and that’s gonna get you better care. No one can say exactly how long each of us will live, but making sure you have a good doctor that will actually treat you when something comes up is definitely going to make a huge difference in your quality of life.
2 years