Lifestyle tips

What kind of scale is better? digital or dial?

I would like to buy a new scale. Not that expensive. That goes up to 350 pounds.
2 years

Ky Belly Boy:
I would like to buy a new scale. Not that expensive. That goes up to 350 pounds.

Depends on budget and the accuracy required.

For over 300lbs and home use just as a general tracker, digital with remote read out is very useful.
2 years

I like a good analog one, no batteries needed and easy to read. E.g. www.hammacher.com/product/easy-read-analog-scale

Digital may be better for electronically tracking your gain, but I have my doubts. You either have to fuss with a clunky, small-device user interface that will probably lose all your data when the batteries fail, or deal with connectivity problems if you find a bluetooth device. I find it easier to log things in a notebook.
2 years

AskDrFeeder:
I like a good analog one, no batteries needed and easy to read. E.g. www.hammacher.com/product/easy-read-analog-scale

Digital may be better for electronically tracking your gain, but I have my doubts. You either have to fuss with a clunky, small-device user interface that will probably lose all your data when the batteries fail, or deal with connectivity problems if you find a bluetooth device. I find it easier to log things in a notebook.

The main trouble I've seen with non-electronic scales is that it's very hard to find consumer grade ones that go much past 300 pounds. That one taps out at 330.
2 years

if you want a 350 limit scale you just about have to go digital, most dials cut off at 300 or 330.

Personally i wouldn't bother with a dial scale. Once you can't see your toes easily the dial becomes a liability. With digital you can step back and see the weight for a few seconds

Walmart's website has a bunch that go to 400 in the sub $25 range if you want somewhere to start.
2 years

Does anyone use a smart scale? I’d like to be able to track data via an app. Any recommendations?
2 years

I have an analog that goes to 300 but not all that accurate its about 7 pounds lower than my digital scale.
Digital is what like because once it beeps and locks in my weight I can step off to see it.
2 years

A "basic digital" is probably the best choice. Alternatively, one of those classic tall analog lever action scales where you have to slide counterweights on a lever. You still see them in gyms and some doctor's offices. However, those are likely to be much more expensive.

The spring-based dial ones need to be calibrated every time, as well as of course the springs seem to get deformed so it's a question of being accurate.

What do I mean by basic digital? I mean it has an old style LCD digit display, and the only option is to show pounds or kilograms, settable with a switch. It's also powered by a single AA or CR2032 (coin shaped) battery. The original CR2032 battery that came with mine lasted a good 13 years, not even kidding. It's not fancy in that it has no Wi-Fi access, no Bluetooth, no special app needed to work, etc. You probably do NOT want one of those.

The WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. uses much more power, meaning batteries need to be replaced more often. This gets expensive fast. If it relies on an app, you hope it'll still be supported in 5 years and would still function on the latest Android. Getting 20+ years of use might be a thing of the past. You don't want to have to replace it every few years now, do you? Of course not. Also, the really basic digital scales will use simple chips, that won't be affected by this chip shortage going on right now.

Basic digital models can be found at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. for around.. $20-35 maybe? Also, out of curiosity I looked around last year. You'd be hard put to find a model that doesn't go up to at least 400 lbs. Most seem to show in 0.5 lb and 0.2 kg increments.
2 years

Don't fall for or think you have to have the newest hot thing on the market.
Keep things simple and that actually work and will continue to work.
IMO if you keep things like scales simple you are better off.
2 years

Honestly if i were to get a scale (which i need fo soon) i would get the one where you move the thing to 100’s 200’s and then even out the weight with the dial up to 50. I think those are well proven and Durable
2 years