Fat experiences

Fat at the doctors

Annamk:
Do doctors in the US just routinely weigh you and record it every time, no matter what you go in there for? That's the impression I get from some of you and that seems crazy to me!

Yes, pretty much. Some don't but it's been my experience every time. Definitely for some disorders/conditions it's important but they really do it no matter what you're there for.
2 years

Fat at the doctors

Blood pressure, temperature, what are your symptoms

Down the hall to the scale or scale is in room

No one has mentioned needing to lose weight, yet

One female doctor poked my shirt but the shirt was loose

Another female doctor mentioned qualifying for COVID treatment since I am overweight. I must have had a weird look on my face or something because she then turned sideways to show me her belly "sticking out" and said "we're all overweight". I didn't say anything, but maybe being 10lbs overweight isn't the same as 75 over...
2 years

Fat at the doctors

I told my doctor why I don't want to lose weight. I said that I like being fat. He said that if I got down to 220 that I would still have a belly. But I would be off of most of my diabetic medicine. It sort of shocked me that he said that I would still have a belly. None of my past doctor's ever said that.
2 years

Fat at the doctors

An ex GF from a few years ago was a chubby physician. She said it would be hypocritical of her to tell patients to lose weight. I suggested handle it with a joke about herself so she can check that box at work but not offend anyone.
2 years

Fat at the doctors

Ky Belly Boy:
I told my doctor why I don't want to lose weight. I said that I like being fat. He said that if I got down to 220 that I would still have a belly. But I would be off of most of my diabetic medicine. It sort of shocked me that he said that I would still have a belly. None of my past doctor's ever said that.

Your doctor probably realizes that its better to have you as a patient, than to look elsewhere or 2nd opinion by continuously harping/nagging etc.
2 years

Fat at the doctors

Annamk:
Do doctors in the US just routinely weigh you and record it every time, no matter what you go in there for? That's the impression I get from some of you and that seems crazy to me!

Yes, they usually weigh you, check your height, check your blood pressure, and check your heartbeat every time you go, regardless of what it’s for (it’s kind of like a mini check-up appointment).
2 years

Fat at the doctors

Annamk:

To be fair, weight change, positive or negative, can be symptomatic of many health problems and can help catch them early.
2 years

Fat at the doctors

I haven't gotten the talk yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's coming soon. Last time I was at the doc I was about 190 and was told that my weight "...wasn't bad..." with some noticeable hesitation. Up around 200 now (sometimes a little over) so I'm sure next time I'm in there will be a comment.
2 years

Fat at the doctors

I was surprised at the doctor's appointment. According to his scale I weigh 299.8 pounds. That is the most that I have ever weighed at the doctor's. And he smiled?
2 years

Fat at the doctors

I am preggo and I weighed in at close to 300. As the nurse was lecturing me I was just getting wetter and wetter. It was amazing.
2 years
123   loading