General

When kids point out you're fat

My nieces and nephews are getting to the age of noticing stuff. Could I get some advice on answering uncomfortable questions like "Why are you so fat?", "Are you going to have a baby?", "Am I going to get fat?".
2 years

Some people are fat and some people are not. It really has little to do with how much you eat as I’m sure we’ve all met plenty of thin people with ridiculous metabolisms that eat constantly and never gain weight. My favorite kid’s show that features fat bodies and not as a punchline is Steven Universe, there might be a few jokes early on in the show, but there’s also characters depicted as beautiful and powerful and fat. I think it’s important to interrupt the narrative that being fat is a punchline, personally. I find it makes it much more comfortable to be able to take ownership of fatness because then you have answers you can give these kids instead of their questions making you uncomfortable.
2 years

Ploppp:
Some people are fat and some people are not. It really has little to do with how much you eat...

This is true for some. But most fat people do eat more. And certainly all feedees who've gained weight on purpose eat a lot; some eat amazing amounts.

It's tricky talking to kids, though. Kids should not be encouraged to get fat; it's a major life decision that they are too young to make. (They may do it anyway, but it should not be because you encouraged it.) Of course I'm not saying you should fat-shame them either, just be fat-neutral. If they expressly ask why you're fat you could just say that you eat a lot. Or that you don't like dieting. I wouldn't tell them what to do unless they expressly ask: in that case I'd tell them they'd be better off eating moderately, at least until they grow up.
2 years

I get asked the same thing over and over hahahaha. I tell them anyway l, “but I’m beautiful 😉” and just laugh at it with them. To lighten up the mood.
2 years

HunnyBunnany:
I get asked the same thing over and over hahahaha. I tell them anyway l, “but I’m beautiful 😉” and just laugh at it with them. To lighten up the mood.

Eirtae feedee:
“I’m beatiful”, I love it

Gracias 😊
2 years