General

Fat friendly or fat only?

Bigwideland:
I came across this article, not sure what to make of it, like it in some ways, and not sure in other aspect,

]www.businessinsider.com.au/why-fat-people-should-have-their-own-separate-restaurants-2011-12

I would gain weight just to eat at a restaurant based on this concept!
2 years

It is an interesting ethical discussion.
What if a someone made a restaurant that specialized for tall people? What if they deliberately designed it so that people under 6' wouldn't be able to comfortably sit at any of the tables? What of they specifically made it Handicap unaccessable? Would that be ethical of them?
Of course this is also different than companies trying to fill niche markets. Like for instance Big'N Tall stores who supply clothing that isn't regularly carried most places. Specialization can be a really good thing.
It seems like the main difference is that while one business strategy focuses on providing something that isn't regularly provided, the other seeks to segrigate it's niche clientele.
Does that make any sense? What other social or ethical implications could there be?
2 years

Circumference:
It is an interesting ethical discussion.
What if a someone made a restaurant that specialized for tall people? What if they deliberately designed it so that people under 6' wouldn't be able to comfortably sit at any of the tables? What of they specifically made it Handicap unaccessable? Would that be ethical of them?
Of course this is also different than companies trying to fill niche markets. Like for instance Big'N Tall stores who supply clothing that isn't regularly carried most places. Specialization can be a really good thing.
It seems like the main difference is that while one business strategy focuses on providing something that isn't regularly provided, the other seeks to segrigate it's niche clientele.
Does that make any sense? What other social or ethical implications could there be?

I/m thinking the point of the article was to "cater" to fat/obese people, while not necessarily excluding people who weren't fat or obese. If a slim person wanted to eat there and could or would tolerate the cold temperatures mentioned in the article, then eat there. I didn't read in the article that there was a sign outside reading; "Fat Only".
2 years