Gaining

Is it my imagination or are feedees...

greentrees8733:
I dunno if I’d relate stigma change *directly* to obesity rates...

I just meant in the sense that being fat doesn't single you out as much as it used to. Consider the extreme case: if everyone was fat, no one would make a fuss about it if you were.
2 years

Another thought that came to me: some of the very fat feedees seem to have the desire to be 'the fattest ever', or more realistically to be seen as extraordinarily fat. And for others, for whom this is a business, there is customer pressure to keep gaining more or to be bigger than the competition. As more very fat people show themselves online, and more feedees get big, that must make pressure to get even bigger. Maybe a decade ago at 400 pounds that would be 'enough' but now it doesn't seem so extreme, so be it from personal desire or market pressures a feedee that size may feel that they have to get bigger. (and at the same time, they see others living their lives succesfully at even larger sizes so it helps confirm that they could too)
2 years

AskDrFeeder:
That's a good point. As more people--feedist or not--get fat there's less of a stigma about it.

greentrees8733:
I dunno if I’d relate stigma change *directly* to obesity rates. I think stigma change relates more to explicit efforts to reduce stigma, like social movements (eg body positivity, body neutrality). But I think there’s probably a second-hand relationship in that as more people become overweight and obese, more people realize the need to change fatphobia/fat stigma.

Originally, I was trying to link our *perceptions* of what’s normal to rising feedee weights.

Of course, our perception of normal is also heavily influenced by media, including social media.

I guess my speculation is that *our*—as in the feedist community’s—sense of what constitutes being fat or really fat changes with overall rates plus what the community shares, while other people are more influenced by media portrayal.

Again, all of this is speculation

I'm pretty sure all these things are factors that contribute to one another. But yeah, pretty speculative at this point.
2 years

Edxl:
Another thought that came to me: some of the very fat feedees seem to have the desire to be 'the fattest ever', or more realistically to be seen as extraordinarily fat. And for others, for whom this is a business, there is customer pressure to keep gaining more or to be bigger than the competition. As more very fat people show themselves online, and more feedees get big, that must make pressure to get even bigger. Maybe a decade ago at 400 pounds that would be 'enough' but now it doesn't seem so extreme, so be it from personal desire or market pressures a feedee that size may feel that they have to get bigger. (and at the same time, they see others living their lives succesfully at even larger sizes so it helps confirm that they could too)

Yes—all of this.

Back in the 1990s being a feedee at all was radical. The bar has gone up and up and up, and weights/sizes with it.

Seeing others living decent lives at what used to be jaw-drop “you’re gonna die any second now!” sizes has to make it seem more realistic and achievable, as you point out.
2 years

They have always been there. There is just social media now that is bringing it out to the forefront. In the south on the east coast, there are whole communities of waddlers so it has always been there but what you have are other people who have found this as a new way to be a content creator so that spreads the community even further.
2 years

They have always been there. There is just social media now that is bringing it out to the forefront. In the south on the east coast, there are whole communities of waddlers so it has always been there but what you have are other people who have found this as a new way to be a content creator so that spreads the community even further.
2 years

Katriona:
I'm here for more than ten years a d the people are definitely fatter... 400lbs seems to be normal... Back in the day it was exceptionnal. And that's really cool.

bigdj1977:
That is absolutely true for me on a personal level. Twenty years ago when I was in my early twenties and weighed in the mid to high 200s, 400 lbs. seemed to be super fat. Now that I actually am in the 400s it seems pretty “normal” and I know that I will get fatter over time.

I was super fat in my twenties and only saw it in the south and now I see it everywhere
2 years

I'm feeling excited that one day soon I'll weigh 400+ lbs, I was a fat kid, weighing 140 lbs when I was 10. I've noticed people getting bigger generally in society, its good to think one day people really won't care about weight and gaining will be the next trend.
2 years

Perceptions have changed markedly. In the 1950s, 300 pounds was considered scandalously fat. Kings at that weight were deposed for their alleged gluttony. Today, obesity is very common and 400 pounders are routine.
2 years
12   loading