Lifestyle tips

Cars for 400lb plus

My wife has ranged from about 230-340 lbs over the years and refuses to have a car that is less than ideal from a comfort perspective. I can't blame her one bit. We both used to do a tremendous amount of driving and have had numerous vehicles over the years.

The following vehicles were comfortable: Saturn View, Kia Sorento, Hyundai Sonata, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Chevrolet Tahoe (most comfortable by far). All had an automatic transmission except the Saturn which was a 5-speed manual. (That Saturn did have a shockingly roomy driver's compartment!)

The Hyundai and Chevrolet products also have been extremely reliable and I highly recommend them.

One vehicle I owned that she absolutely hated was a Saab 9-3. It had a 5-speed manual transmission, requiring an up/down motion with the leg to work the clutch pedal. I must admit, she looked so hot squished into that Saab the one time she drove it, it was such a tight fit, and watching her jiggle as she worked the pedals drove me crazy!
2 years

Cars for 400lb plus

My wife had a '98 Ford Taurus years ago when we met.

I didn't mention it in my previous post simply since it's so old I doubt anybody would be in the market for one today.

She drove it for several years until about 200,000 miles and found it very comfortable. The driver's seat didn't fare well under her weight though. The upholstery was still intact but the cushion was compressed into oblivion.
2 years

Cars for 400lb plus

I'll second the shout-out for the new Chevy Silverados and the GMC equivalents. I borrowed a buddy's to do a quick road trip recently while my F150 was in the shop and it's got PLENTY of room for my 290 lb self. The F150 i've got is nice and roomy too. Really you can't go wrong with a full size pickup.

My '96 F250 single cab is a little cramped but that has a lot to do with it being a single cab. I guess people were smaller back in the 80s and 90s. My main complaint is not being able to really lean the seat back to any noticeable degree.

My ex's 02 Jetta TDI is surprisingly roomy...he's 270lbs and has no problems fitting in there.

And finally, yes Hondas are surprisingly roomy across all their models.
1 year

Cars for 400lb plus

I'm 400+ and I love my Chevy traverse. So much room.
1 year

Cars for 400lb plus

I drive an early 2000s Impala, and it is getting tantalizingly tight side to side. If was my weight, but a couple inches shorter, I would have to hold my flab out of the way to shut the door.
1 year

Cars for 400lb plus

BMW 5 to 7 are quite spacious to all sides.
1 year

Cars for 400lb plus

I’m just over 500 and over 6 foot tall. I drive a 2019 Kia Optima. Lots of room.
1 year

Cars for 400lb plus

Skoda Octavia newer models are roomy if you got a big belly and being around 400lbs, 5ft 6in. Still space left even when the seat is not all the way back.The steering wheel is not all round eighter. it is flat at the bottom, giving even more space. Tested several cars including Kia Optima, Honda Accord, Volvo V90, Vw passat and some more roomy cars, but the Octavia was the best. Most of them have automatic transmission as well.
1 year

Cars for 400lb plus

In only have a tiny bit of experience with this at just 270 but my Ford Ranger is getting to be a tight squeeze. My everyday driver is now a Subaru and much preferable to climbing out of a tiny 4 cylinder Civic. Although the emergency brake digs into my leg a little from dumb position on console that would otherwise be perfect.

Test drove a Ford escape, hard no before even leaving the lot. The console is raised up 2 inches beside the seat, and the window controls on door have no reason to stick out quite that far. Even well under 300 I felt squished and my hips jammed between... I'm not very bottom heavy.
I've heard that Fusions and most Honda are fairly roomy for sedans.
1 year

Cars for 400lb plus

God, I forgot about this topic. Outgrowing clothes and chairs is one thing, but cars? Mmm.
My first car was a 2000 Blazer, and I probably wouldn't fit in it anymore.
1 year
1234   loading