Extreme obesity

Moving to fatter cities

I can relate to your dilemma. My wife and I are relocating to another state. Where we presently are moving from is ranked near the top of most fit states. I'm not hugely obese but admire the heavy form. My wife is obese, so moving to a friendly area just works out.
2 years

Moving to fatter cities

Generally I find that the core of older cities (where there is still more of main-street vibe and people are more apt to walk and use transit) are thinner than the suburbs which are thinner than the exurbs. NYC has more of that high density urban core than anywhere in North America, so I'm not surprised it is not the best for being an FA.

The challenge is that if you like that lifestyle it may be hard to find place much fatter but that have a similar feel.

I'm not sure how that dynamic plays out in the lower density, more sprawling cities. Certainly more time spent in cars, more prevalence of fast food drive-thrus and 'family style restaurants' (with their typically huge portions) may be part of this dynamic, so maybe?

Anyway, if you are attached to NYC for other reasons, one option might be to investigate areas outside NYC, and see if they are substantially fatter.
2 years

Moving to fatter cities

I live in Portland Oregon and it's like one of the worst cities in the planet to be into fat people. Any town where you've got a bunch of affluent white people trying to out purchase survival gear at REI, you're gonna have a hard time admiring fat people. Not just finding them, but finding one that doesn't think you're a freak for wanting to date them.

But go to Oakland, Tacoma, New Orleans, anywhere in the south, and you're gonna be head over heels in massively fat bodies that are totally into themselves and flaunting the fuck out of every roll and crevice. I see more bombshell ssbbw's in one day in these cities than I see in a year, maybe more over in Portland
2 years

Moving to fatter cities

Louiefat:
Any town where you've got a bunch of affluent white people trying to out purchase survival gear at REI, you're gonna have a hard time admiring fat people. Not just finding them, but finding one that doesn't think you're a freak for wanting to date them.

Laughing, because it’s true. (Taking your word on Portland, OR, as i’ve not spent enough time there.)

But go to Oakland, Tacoma, New Orleans, anywhere in the south, and you're gonna be head over heels in massively fat bodies that are totally into themselves and flaunting the fuck out of every roll and crevice. I see more bombshell ssbbw's in one day in these cities than I see in a year, maybe more over in Portland

I found most of the greater S.F. Bay Area was like that, not just Oakland, in my roughly 17 years there. First proud/militantly “out” totally into herself (as you so well put) BBW i ever saw randomly in public was walking in Berkeley as i bicycled by, end of the 1980s or early 1990s.

Soon as i started at Apple summer 1996, there were jaw-drop SSBBW everywhere… and me newly in a committed monogamous intimate interpersonal relationship (sigh). Before Fry’s Electronics closed, they were a great place for at least seeing SSBBW nerds (sigh).

Edxl:
I'm not sure how that dynamic plays out in the lower density, more sprawling cities.

I’m from, years back in, and have spent most of my life in the metropolitan Los Angeles area. Here, it depends where you are. Along the coast, as a sweeping generalization you’re predominantly in Fitness World, more so from the Palos Verdes Peninsula down through at least Laguna Beach if not Dana Point. Go inland, and it’s a whole other world. Go far inland to the east to the former Orange Empire, now Inland Empire since houses have grown where edible fruit once did, and i’ve in the past found plentiful fat individuals.

But really it’s more about specific places than even areas. I can name several restaurants where fat folks tend to congregate. Right here in Pasadena where i live, an area that considers itself fit but has some “outliers”, by chance one day in Ross Dress for Less a USBBW wobbled in, almost instantly melting me into a puddle on the spot. She had to have been in there for accessories or maybe shoes, as nothing else in that store was likely to fit her bounteous wonderfulness.

tl;dr: L.A./I.E./even O.C. work, but you have to choose where you park yourself and spend time. Travel may be necessary. This may or may not be typical of a sprawling area, but it‘s my take of how it works here.

[Edited to remove my inappropriate racial comments.]
2 years

Moving to fatter cities

I find it amusing how in depth some people get about cities and areas they seem to think are one way or another.
Fat people are everywhere.
The racial comment was not needed.
2 years

Moving to fatter cities

Ditzy:Fat people are everywhere.

Literally this.

I bet I can go to Portland, Oregon and find plenty of fat girls to conversate with. It's all about having the confidence and social skills.

Hell the town I grew up with is preppy white ppl central but one of our cheerleaders was a bbw.

Is not hard to find anyone of any social circle if you know exactly where to look.
2 years

Moving to fatter cities

Ditzy:
The racial comment was not needed.

You are very correct—wholly inappropriate on my part. Post edited to remove that. It may still be an awful post, but hopefully less awful now.

Thank you for mentioning this.
2 years

Moving to fatter cities

jiggle junkie:
Before Fry’s Electronics closed, they were a great place for at least seeing SSBBW nerds (sigh).

So many watering grounds for superfats gone with the winds over the years. Blockbuster and Hollywood video was also a great place for that, but I was only a tiny kid at the time so could only admire from below.

jiggle junkie:
I find it amusing how in depth some people get about cities and areas they seem to think are one way or another.
Fat people are everywhere..

Fat people are everywhere but cultures do vary wildly from region to region. In New Orleans fat women are treated as goddesses and you will never see that in the pacific northwest. I grew up in vancouver wa and it's very difficult to find someone who isn't conservative and religious, and it's only across the bridge from Portland where seemingly everyone is doing yoga with goats and worshiping crystals for their healing powers

I've met all my partners in this region so of course they're out there. But even my current partner was able to notice the huge difference between living in Portland and her hometown of Oakland. Before we met she was dating a sea of closeted FA's whereas in oakland her dumptruck butt was a high ticket status symbol. It's the difference between trying to find a needle in a haystack and just going out to the bar like a normal person

I think it's worth pointing out that the body positivity movement was started by women of color. And that Sir Mix A Lot's I Like Big Butts was a cultural paradigm shift specifically because white America idolized flat asses and thin lips. Now look at us.
2 years

Moving to fatter cities

I can spend one day in Albuquerque New Mexico and make a dozen friends. Up in Seattle that could take a decade.
2 years

Moving to fatter cities

Anecdotal but an interesting note: all of my friends and all my partners I've met in the PNW that last more than a year have been from other parts of the country and aren't native to the region
2 years
12   loading