Fat experiences

How did you deal with your sudden weight gain, with family and friends?

Just smile and walk away. What you do with your life is your own business.
2 years

I had to go through the same thing a couple of months ago during Thanksgiving when I had to get together with family. Knowing full well I had gained 100 pounds since last seeing them, I decided to buy larger clothes to somewhat mask the weight, but even then it was difficult to even hide it.

It can be different for everyone when it comes to family reactions. Though when it came to mine, I got mixed reactions considering my family is very fitness oriented and does in fact comment on the weight of others. My mom overall somehow thought I gained only 40 pounds (thank goodness for the clothes) yet still overall supported me regardless, though she seemed overall disappointed and would probably be even more considering how much more I put on since then. My brother's didn't even seem to mind. And when it came to friends, I was pretty shocked when they really didn't mind, even having a friend that also admitted to wanting to gain.

Overall I think it's important to not dwell on it, and just kind of go for it. I was always self-conscious, but I think just finding some sort of approval gave me a bit more confidence in myself to appreciate my current size. Of course there are some that may not like it, though you never know what another's true reaction might be.
2 years

I've been telling family for a while now that I've stopped giving a (redacted) when asked and even joking with them and others how in a few years I'll probably be huge.

These days any talk of eating less junk food comes down to cost more so than actual health.
2 years

My family is all a bunch of health nuts where being fat would be a nightmare. So I definitely have gotten comments about my gain. But, I have a pretty great excuse, imho.

I've had health issues since 16 years old. These health issues have caused me to be underweight most my life. But, one of the medications I've taken from time to time called prednisone has the side effect of lots of weight gain. So, with my recent attempt to gain I just said to them I was back on my medications and that's why my weight has changed. It pretty much ends there.

I do also tell them that being bigger doesn't bother me nor my wife. And vice versa since she is bigger than I am. Many medications cause weight gain. So that could be an excuse to get someone off your back. At the end of the day, it's your life and your body and the only person that gets a say in what happens to it is yourself. Best wishes to all!
2 years

My family didn't even notice until I was already up at least 50 lbs. But as I passed that mark, they began to ask me if I was okay, and gently made an appointment for me at an endocrinologist. Turned out to be very helpful coz I was diagnosed with PCOS after pelvic ultrasounds. Nice.
2 years

I've never been fat, but I have gained a considerable amount of weight. I went from 115 to 168-ish pounds in about 5 or 6 years. Most of that is muscle.

My mom and grandma freaked out and told me I was getting fat (which makes no sense because I have abs.) At some point I decided enough was enough and made it clear their comments won't be tolerated. I don't think I changed their mind about my body, but at least they've since shut up.
2 years

Marea:
I took it very badly and with a lot of insecurity, because I was at a very weak stage mentally due to several problems. I stopped going out and stopped relating with friends. I also returned to my hometown after a long time and many people here knew me with 40 kilos less, wherever I went there was a comment about my weight and finally I lost a relationship of many years, because my partner did not like that I had gained so much weight and was no longer attracted to me, so I thank him for his sincerity.

Today I am still recovering, I am no longer affected by these comments for better or worse and I think I have matured a lot with everything that has happened.

The important thing when gaining weight is health, it is the only limit that you have to respect
2 years

Eirtae feedee:
Thanks for share your story.
I can relate, I weight 40kg more than a year ago, so the people talk about, and I with mental issues too.
We have to be strong πŸ’ͺ

Marea:
Yes, above all, to work on self-esteem. There will always be negative comments around us on any subject. Many times the importance we give to things comes from ourselves, we can't choose to be victims either, we are strong that we are not affected by the comments of the weakest 😊πŸ’ͺ

Plenty of encouragement to be had on this site. It’s why we’re all here :-)
2 years

My weight fluctuated a decent bit over my adult life from kinda chubby to kinda fat. And than after losing about 30ishlbs going from 220ish to 190ish I shot up to 285lbs in about 10 months which shocked and worried just about everyone lol πŸ˜‚

Got a few comments like "oh...um you're looking...healthy" and a few playful jokes about my weight from coworkers. One family member got very worried and tried to give me those well meaning but dreadful talks about my weight.

For the most part I just let stuff slide because it was never anything too serious or upsetting. But it definitely takes time getting used to being such an undeniable fatty around people who knew you when you were much smaller.
2 years

Well, in my case, I got really fat in short amount of time, and the changes were very visible, so my close friends and family were the first to notice (coworkers might notice it too but didn't say anything, although one female feeder did encouraged me to eat more from her doings...).

If not family members who made some speeches about getting exercise and back to shape, and one particular friend who's exercises and tried to encourage me to join him, I wouldn't be mind getting big, it's really hard, but it's depends on your approach. Once I decided to ignore them all, I got less comment about my growing Belly. I can shove how much food I want and no one is bothering me regarding this.
2 years
12   loading