Story authors

Word processors

Hello all! What word processors is everyone using to write these fantastic stories? I have a ton of ideas for stories and I'd like to try my hand at this.

Are there any programs I can download for free or cheap? Any help would be appreciated.
2 years

Word processors

I use Microsoft Word. It is usually included in Microsoft Office, however it is not cheap.
2 years

Word processors

Try Google Docs, it's free.
2 years

Word processors

I use microsoft word.
2 years

Word processors

If I was doing some serious work, I'd probably pony up for word. I've used it in the past.

But for the handful of stories floating around in my head, I'd like something free or at least inexpensive. I may look into google docs, anybody know how it works?
2 years

Word processors

Commodore 64
2 years

Word processors

collegeguy2514:
If I was doing some serious work, I'd probably pony up for word. I've used it in the past.

But for the handful of stories floating around in my head, I'd like something free or at least inexpensive. I may look into google docs, anybody know how it works?

Tried collaborating with another fatlovesex author who uses Google Docs. That lasted all of about 5 min. before i told him “Nope, sorry”. But that’s my usual response to Google. If you generally like Google products and can stand being a product yourself for Google/Alphabet to sell you, it seems to work quite like Word and other word processors of that ilk, and it would be easier to work on your story across multiple devices.

A lot depends on your platform. I’m an Apple person (worked there. Don’t particularly like them in recent years, but for me they’re still less worse than the other options). Just counted up the words tonight, and i’ve written far over a million story words in TextEdit, which comes freely bundled on every Mac since the early 2000s (replacing its predecessor Simple Text). I like it because it does what i need and stays out of the way, without a lot of highfalutin’ formatting and other fancy stuff which quickly becomes irrelevant when releasing online.

I hate Micro$oft about as much as Google/Alphabet, so Word has never been on my radar, though as with Windows OS users, a lot of Mac users use Word. Others who need more than what TextEdit has pay for Pages… or maybe that’s free now? It’s more than i need.

For any traditional computer platform, there will be free open source full-featured word processor options… LibreOffice, maybe? (I’ve not gone there yet).

Here’s hoping you have a short path to finding a word processing app that does what you need and otherwise stays out of your way, so you can be maximally creative!
2 years

Word processors

I use Scrivener. You can get a 30-day trial and I think the license is $50 for life after that. Worth every penny. There is a bit of a learning curve but it's like riding a bike and once you got it, you got it!
2 years

Word processors

collegeguy2514:

You’ll need a gmail account but that’s also free. Once you have one you can access Google docs through this link

docs.google.com/

You can also just Google “Google docs”
2 years

Word processors

I do everything on Google docs, and--y'all are gonna think I'm crazy when I tell you this--but if you're ever having writers block, change the font to Comic Sans. Every time I use this trick I suddenly get super productive.
2 years
123   loading