Lifestyle tips

Using olive oil to gain?

Am trying to see if I can gain more healthily at the moment, and one of the biggest suggestions on this site for gaining seems to be heavy cream. However, cream seems to be high in saturated fat, which apparently leads to the bad type of cholesterol. Would extra virgin olive oil be a good substitute instead? It's lower in saturated fat, and has more calories than cream (meaning you can drink less of it). I'd imagine it be less pleasant to drink though...
2 years

Using olive oil to gain?

Does anyone have experience on this topic regarding the negative effects?

I have a little concern that too olive oil can lead to extreme unwanted excretions. This can lead to unpleasant situations in the office. Unfortunately, I don't like the cream so much, but I also have no lactose intolerance.

Since I also don't eat sugar because of the fear of getting diabetes unnecessarily, I would be grateful for any tip and suggestion.

I am still quite inexperienced in special shakes and drinks, but I am very inquisitive and curious to test tips.
2 years

Using olive oil to gain?

UnintendedConsequences:
I do not recommend drinking olive oil, lol.
Instead -- you can dip some warm ciabatta into olive oil as a snack or, one of my favorite foods, you can make pasta with an olive oil base. I put olive oil, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes in a pan while the noodles cook. And then I top the whole thing with shredded parmesan when it's done.
* Note that if you have a lot of olive oil in your diet every day that it may, uh, run through you.

Second this.

I’m in an unfortunate situation where biologically i’m blocked from gaining in most ways. Indeed, even maintaining normal nutrition is a challenge. Scar tissue in my small intestine blocks many things, like anything with a skin such as many raw veggies and fruits.

I also have expertise in things shooting through the digestive system, since that’s normal for many of us with an inflammatory bowel disease.

Having significant amounts of olive oil with food as UnintendedConsequences recommends works for me: does not shoot through (at least not any different than my personal normal). Try it… experiment with quantities. Find what your body tolerates, and quite possibly you’ll get a decent amount in you and staying in you.

The only downer is i’ve read several articles in recent years that things being sold as olive oil may only have a small percentage of actual olive oil, potentially reducing health benefits (or if you prefer, minimizing deleterious health outcomes) vs. the real deal. Shop carefully and be wary of low-cost products.
2 years

Using olive oil to gain?

UnintendedConsequences:
I do not recommend drinking olive oil, lol.
Instead -- you can dip some warm ciabatta into olive oil as a snack or, one of my favorite foods, you can make pasta with an olive oil base. I put olive oil, minced garlic, and red pepper flakes in a pan while the noodles cook. And then I top the whole thing with shredded parmesan when it's done.
* Note that if you have a lot of olive oil in your diet every day that it may, uh, run through you.

Jiggle Junkie:
Second this.

I’m in an unfortunate situation where biologically i’m blocked from gaining in most ways. Indeed, even maintaining normal nutrition is a challenge. Scar tissue in my small intestine blocks many things, like anything with a skin such as many raw veggies and fruits.

I also have expertise in things shooting through the digestive system, since that’s normal for many of us with an inflammatory bowel disease.

Having significant amounts of olive oil with food as UnintendedConsequences recommends works for me: does not shoot through (at least not any different than my personal normal). Try it… experiment with quantities. Find what your body tolerates, and quite possibly you’ll get a decent amount in you and staying in you.

The only downer is i’ve read several articles in recent years that things being sold as olive oil may only have a small percentage of actual olive oil, potentially reducing health benefits (or if you prefer, minimizing deleterious health outcomes) vs. the real deal. Shop carefully and be wary of low-cost products.

Thank you for your feedback on the post.

On the one hand, I wish you a speedy recovery and that you can get the problem under control quite quickly or that you can also eat vegetables and other foods safely again in the near future. I just hope that this will not accompany you throughout your life.

I pay great attention to the quality of food and as you say, a lot of olive oils are mixed with some substances that do not belong in there. It is easy to earn a lot of money here to the regret of buyers.

I will follow your advice and start with small quantities to see what effects it has. Then one or the other day you spend in the home office is very practical.

Thank you for the time you took and your advice.
2 years

Using olive oil to gain?

I think it may be a good idea, but I have no experience. Can something go wrong with drinking olive oil?
2 years

Using olive oil to gain?

Albee:
I think it may be a good idea, but I have no experience. Can something go wrong with drinking olive oil?

Like OP, I am looking for a healthier alternative to heavy cream as high LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) is a common issue in my family. Ironically, it seems olive oil may actually have LDL cholesterol reducing properties which is cool.

I am starting an olive oil based gaining cycle today. Will update on my progress each week.
1 year

Using olive oil to gain?

Albee:

Daniel5_1997:
Like OP, I am looking for a healthier alternative to heavy cream as high LDL cholesterol (the bad kind) is a common issue in my family. Ironically, it seems olive oil may actually have LDL cholesterol reducing properties which is cool.

I am starting an olive oil based gaining cycle today. Will update on my progress each week.

Please use it for cooking and not for drinking. It will give you the squirts if you drink it.
1 year

Using olive oil to gain?

Healthy ways to gain, is as with all things keep a balance.
So dipping bread in olive oil can be great option.
Having a nice shake with SOME cream.
Eating nuts, nuts butter etc.
Avocado other high quality fats, plus complex carbs.
Don’t forget the protein but don’t go over board with it …
1 year

Using olive oil to gain?

I had a very sensible stomach for quite some time, still have sometimes, but it got more robust after some HC and even Oil-Cycles.
200ml here and there don‘t give me troubles at all anymore.

Olive Oil is probably best regarding health, but as far as I see it, it‘s only for the madman or the desperate.

Oil however has become so off-putting to me, that even the greatest cravings cannot convince me to consume it anymore.
1 year

Using olive oil to gain?

Update: so this is a day late but for the past week I have been experimenting with olive oil to drive my gains.

I don’t like the idea of drinking it straight so instead I have been incorporating it in other ways such as using extra when cooking. One trick I found was that pouring it on top of toast allowed it to get absorbed into the bread quite well, and was still possible to spread butter on top. This meant every slice of toast I ate effectively contained 200 calories (94 per slice of white bread + ~110 per tablespoon of olive oil).

I was averaging 60-80ml of olive oil per day, boosting my calorie intake by over 500 per day from the oil alone. During the week I gained 2.75lbs without really altering my diet aside from eating more of this magic gainer toast and using more oil when cooking.

Only side affect was some slight bowel discomfort the day after I had about 100ml extra oil. So if you are planning to try this out be mindful not to overdo it.

I am going to continue my olive oil experiment by continuing to take in about 60-80ml of the stuff per day. It’s early days but I think this combined with a little heavy cream this could be a good sustainable gaining technique.
1 year