Lifestyle tips

How to stress eat?

I have a lot of stress in my life but I’ve never been able to stress eat, instead I tend to end up barely eating at all when I am badly stressed (sometimes just a few hundred calories a day). When I am stressed, eating becomes agonizingly miserable and it can take me hours to eat a tiny portion of crackers when I’m in that state, and then I don’t feel like eating again for ages. Obviously this is not good for someone who wants to become fat, and it is severe enough it isn’t even safe.

I know stress eating is very common and it causes many people to gain weight, even unintentionally. If I could learn how to do it then it’d help me a lot. Is there anyway to teach yourself to stress eat or is it just a case of your natural tendencies?
2 years

How to stress eat?

finickyfeedee:
I have a lot of stress in my life but I’ve never been able to stress eat, instead I tend to end up barely eating at all when I am badly stressed (sometimes just a few hundred calories a day). When I am stressed, eating becomes agonizingly miserable and it can take me hours to eat a tiny portion of crackers when I’m in that state, and then I don’t feel like eating again for ages. Obviously this is not good for someone who wants to become fat, and it is severe enough it isn’t even safe.

I know stress eating is very common and it causes many people to gain weight, even unintentionally. If I could learn how to do it then it’d help me a lot. Is there anyway to teach yourself to stress eat or is it just a case of your natural tendencies?

Big time stress eater here. For me, I associate food with comfort and love. So, eating good food is something that takes me back to simpler times. Doesn't matter if it's home cooked or not. That being said, I do gravitate to certain foods more so than others. Carbs and dark chocolates are my favorite.

I suppose you could associate certain foods with comfort or joy. From there, you could train your brain to eat.

Another option is drinking your calories. I assume you get thirsty and drink even when you are stressed. You can also switch to something with more calories when you are feeling stressed out. See if that helps.
2 years

How to stress eat?

As a stress eater I can say that for me the payoff is the stress relief from a belly full of carbs, I don't know what chemicals get pumped into my brain but it is so comforting and soothing (plus it distracts me with thoughts of fatness, which is a great way not to be stressing about whatever it is that has me stressed).

It might be a bit like the runner's high, that some people get easily and others not at all. If a belly full of comfort food doesn't leave you feeling relaxed and vaguely euphoric, then it makes sense why your response to stress is not eating.
2 years