Gaining

Just started gaining... and already doubting myself

Take it slow and enjoy the ride. Put on a couple pounds a week, see how you feel at the end of the month. You control what you eat, do what makes you happy. If you find you're not liking gaining, stop.

If you enjoy gaining and the changes in your body, yes you will need new clothes eventually. If you intend to gain to 300, shop at thrift stores to keep costs low. Buy everything a size bigger than you need, knowing you'll grow into it. (Also a bit of a challenge/goal, and perhaps a turn on?)
2 years

The downsides you mentioned are all things you knew when you decided to gain to 200 pounds. If you accepted them then, you should accept them now. If the food prep is too annoying, just go easy on the gaining...it's not a race.

As far as the guilt goes: There's nothing to feel guilty about. You're a grown man, doing what you chose to do, something that's well within your rights.

Now, if this is less enjoyable than you thought and doesn't seem worth it you can change your mind and stop gaining. Or even lose weight if you want.

But don't feel guilty about it in any event. It's your choice. Anyone who fat-shames you does not deserve your consideration. And don't fat-shame yourself. Feel _proud_ that you have the strength and courage to do what you want despite social taboos!
2 years

Ultracheese:
This is just kind of a vent, not trying to convince anyone of anything. Anyways, I've fantasized about gaining for many years. Lately, I realized that I now have the income to support that. I just started buying a whole lot of food, increasing portions, snacking much more, stuffing a bit, a couple extra meals on weekends, etc. Six weeks ago, probably a couple weeks prior to consciously gaining, I weighed in at 165lbs. I just got my own scale delivered two days ago, and I was 178. I'm 6'1" so I'm not officially overweight yet, but this rate of gain kind of shocked me and has me second guessing myself more. I don't think I was ever fully on board with getting fat, but the reluctant side of me figured it can't hurt much to gain to 200 and see how it is before going for the 300s like I think I want eventually.

So, the things I've liked so far... probably the best is the eating. I love being able to eat so much and stuff myself. It's addicting. Since I'm living alone, it's also easier to just buy much more food than I reasonably need. My belly has also gotten a bit bigger and softer, which is nice to see, but maybe not as nice as I would've liked. I suppose I need to put on a lot more weight before I know if I like a big belly.

As for the drawbacks, it's just a lot of uncertainty. If I keep going, I'll need to start getting new clothes before long and maybe pretty steadily after that. I'm not sure how well I'd handle the guilt from family and coworkers from ballooning up. And while I think I can afford it, I'm not sure it's all worth it. Also the extra food prep is annoying sometimes.

Unless I can reach a consensus in my own head, it feels like I'll disappoint myself either path I choose. Anyone else ever deal with these kinds of thoughts?

Guilt is a tough one as we all have different feelings about our social interactions. Take confidence in doing things for yourself for your own value and not the value others superficially put on you.

Regarding clothing, to play devils advocate, imagine someone who is morbidly obese and unhappy with their weight/lifestyle putting the same pressure on themselves when considering weight loss.

Yea there is a cost, but thrift stores and ebay are great ways around some of the financial burden.

It’s your body, and only you can weigh up how you feel at each moment in it and whether your current feelings are based on what you want or what others are telling you to want.
2 years

Ultracheese:
The downsides I was aware of before. It's just a mix of being faced with the reality of those downsides and a bit of nerves in general. They're things I need to think about some more.

I like to think I could live with the standard fat shaming, since there's fat people everywhere. It's just that if I put on weight too fast, people may get concerned. Family, coworkers. I'm worried they'd try to intervene, and I don't know how to resist that without coming off like a weirdo (I am, but don't tell anyone that!). Ideally I like to be free of others' expectations, but when work involves a lot of networking (which I suck at to begin with) and peer evaluation, I wouldn't want that to reflect too poorly on me. Hopefully they'd see actual work and other factors as more important though.

Oh man, the consequences of fat shame can be unfortunately real... if medical fatphobia can exist, employment fatphobia seems like a very reasonable concern.

Based on a lot of factors (my size and build, i.e. clearly overweight/mid size, but I don't think I'm perceived as "fat"; my gender; the people around me, e.g. family, friends, and coworkers I have; etc.) I don't experience many negative comments about weight. And based on those factors--and the privilege some of them afford me--when I do get them, two options tend to work well:

1. White lies or brush off ("I have put on a few recently, huh?" or "Oh, yeah--new medication", or "I ate GOOD over the holidays", etc.)
2. The long game of helping them unlearn fatphobia

IME, the key with both is to maintain a positive attitude and to not give ground to the idea that being fat is bad/shameful/whatever, *even if they've succeeded in making me feel bad about it momentarily*. Internalized fatphobia sucks and makes me feel bad sometimes, but strategically, I perform positivity for a couple reasons:

1. If opted for a white lie or brush off, it's probably because I don't think I have the relational position/leverage to help someone change their thinking (e.g., insufficient rapport, fatphobia is too entrenched, or they hold some hierarchical position over me and it's gone to their head a bit, etc.). In other words, I lie when I think helping someone change is too risky, and I just want to end the interaction without incurring negative consequences.

2. If I opt for the long game of helping them unlearn fatphobia, I want that person to feel good when talking to me about weight, fat, etc., because ultimately I want to have several conversations with them where we iteratively progress through several levels of concepts/questioning/etc. It takes some patience to wait for and identify opportunities, and (for me at least), it can sometimes be tricky to know when to stop for the day--people can only tolerate so much challenging at once, ya know?

Expanding on this would be a whole other essay, but generally, I just ask questions and gently share information that help people to critically evaluate what they actually know about fat and health, about the moralization of fat and health, about their own thoughts/feelings about fat, and most importantly, about boundaries. Complaining about some other person's fatphobia has been a good angle: like "Ugh you won't believe the bullshit [insert influencer/celebrity/whomever] said..." IME, using phrasing that implies that they're a) informed/knowledgeable and b ) on my side creates pressure to not disagree directly (e.g., to avoid conflict or to avoid looking uninformed or bigoted) and ask questions instead. (I *think* it works because it creates incentive to understand a perspective rather than putting them a conflictual position of defending their current perspective, but I'm not sure)

These approaches aren't going to be right for everybody, but they work for me.
2 years