Lifestyle tips

Unpopular take: food shortages in 6-18 months

Mr Grey Face:
As food enthusiasts, we've all noticed the price increases over the past few years, and the rate of price increase is accelerating.
Looking at world events and fertilizer prices makes me believe there will be a food shortage at some point.

Overeating and encouraging it is soooo popular on this website, but I feel I must risk a little ostracism and suggest that we all adjust our lifestyles to not eat as much food.

I encourage buying long-term food like canned food, storing water, and figuring out what foods you can grow. Many "weeds" are actually edible and delicious.

An interesting suggestion to be sure. And one not without merit.

It's not a bad idea to stock up, so it speak. Especially as prices go up and certain foods become unavailable. Cutting back while all of this is happening probably won't hurt.

That being said, growing food is a luxury that not everyone can afford. It assumes you have the land, resources, and time to do this. And if you live in the city, are poor, or are far too busy with other obligations, this may be impossible.

Not to mention growing a few weeds for food isn't really helpful.

It would be better to find additional methods of obtaining food. Some options:

Buy local
Locate a community garden
Befriend a garder or chef
Hunt/fish/forage (or befriend someone that does)
Change up your diet
Buy in-season
Take up canning/pickling (or befriend someone who does)

There are just some examples.
1 year

Probably put all us fat people on diets! Ration App - or something like that
1 year

Bulk up before the shortages happen?

$10 gets about 15+/- cans of food at Walmart. A gallon of water is around a dollar or so.
1 year

While it is always good to be prepared and aware of what is happening, the US is not expected to experience much in the way of shortages for *most* items. Higher prices, yes, but not empty shelves. In fact, there is an initiative to increase our wheat production to export to areas that will be experiencing a shortage, like Africa, which gets almost all of its wheat from Ukraine and Russia. I am sure we can count on the news headlines to pound the drum on the fear aspect though…

Hopefully there is enough worldwide foresight on this issue to mitigate the worst effects. However, history has shown us that if there are major food shortages in certain areas, that can lead to massive civil unrest, and that can topple governments. Many of the governments on the African continent are not exactly stable as it is, so it will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.
1 year

Honestly, I think we will learn to stop wasting perfectly good food just because it has a wrong color, isn’t the right form, has a bend, is a little bit smaller or larger, is a day old, before we actually have a shortage of food.
1 year

FattMatt:
Honestly, I think we will learn to stop wasting perfectly good food just because it has a wrong color, isn’t the right form, has a bend, is a little bit smaller or larger, is a day old, before we actually have a shortage of food.

Gad prices are increasing food prices. So people are going to be more frugal. I feel for those in California. Gas prices in certain area of the state are about twice the national average.
1 year

The average gas prices per gallon in the Netherlands are around $9,084. Luckily we can ride a bike to most places 🥲
1 year

FattMatt:
The average gas prices per gallon in the Netherlands are around $9,084. Luckily we can ride a bike to most places 🥲

$9,084. As in nine thousand eighty four euros?

For gas?

Per gallon?

Lord have mercy.
1 year

Hoping that's an area that uses , instead of . Like the US...
1 year

We use , instead of . Haha
1 year
12   loading