General

Plus size women, but overweight men? what's the deal?

We all know about plus Size women, But what's the deal with men not getting a special title? And simply getting called over weight men?

It seems that even the main stream don't have a title for bigger guys, You have plus Size clothes for women, that make it clear they are plus size clothes

But for men they simple just have "large" sizes

The same can be the same in the media, with plus size women being called empowering

But larger men, don't get anything like that also

What's the deal with this?
1 year

Yes us men should have equal billing I say.
1 year

Miachu:
The same can be the same in the media, with plus size women being called empowering

"Plus size" women are being called empowering because they are kinda conveying the notion larger women can just exist and be happy irrespective of what others think of their appearance. Larger men can already do this, guys being overweight is more normalised than it is for women where for them they kinda deal with a lot of ugly stuff for even being 10lb or 20lb heavier.

Like, I really kinda don't mean to be a total bummer about weight on a fat appreciation website, but, it's so strange to hear a guy envy how overweight women are treated by a society rigged with male gaze in mind. Especially as not every overweight person likes to be reminded they are overweight or finds their weight attractive, which is totally really each their own. Genuinely not really an attack, but just, odd to hear it even here.
1 year

Thaynor:
"Plus size" women are being called empowering because they are kinda conveying the notion larger women can just exist and be happy irrespective of what others think of their appearance. Larger men can already do this, guys being overweight is more normalised than it is for women where for them they kinda deal with a lot of ugly stuff for even being 10lb or 20lb heavier.

Like, I really kinda don't mean to be a total bummer about weight on a fat appreciation website, but, it's so strange to hear a guy envy how overweight women are treated by a society rigged with male gaze in mind. Especially as not every overweight person likes to be reminded they are overweight or finds their weight attractive, which is totally really each their own. Genuinely not really an attack, but just, odd to hear it even here.

Thank you for your insight on this

But FYI I'm actually a woman haha
1 year

Miachu:

Thaynor:

It's the equity vs equality debate. A lot of people say they want equality, but what they really want it equity.

Equity takes into consideration people's differences and acts accordingly.

For example, equality is giving people the same bike regardless of the rider's size, shape, or phyical ability. Equity is giving everyone a bike, but adjusting the bike to their needs.

There's a lot of intersectionality you need to take into account when it comes to being fat in public. Age, gender, disability status, sexuality, race, income levels, and other variables impact how people treat you in public. Calling fat women "plus-sized" is an attempt to reclaim dignity that the world at large wants to strip away.
1 year

Miachu:
Thank you for your insight on this

But FYI I'm actually a woman haha

Haha, sorry! It just, kinda read a bit weird on my end!

Munchies:
It's the equity vs equality debate. A lot of people say they want equality, but what they really want it equity.

For example, equality is giving people the same bike regardless of the rider's size, shape, or phyical ability. Equity is giving everyone a bike, but adjusting the bike to their needs.

There's a lot of intersectionality you need to take into account when it comes to being fat in public. Age, gender, disability status, sexuality, race, income levels, and other variables impact how people treat you in public. Calling fat women "plus-sized" is an attempt to reclaim dignity that the world at large wants to strip away.

It is, but it's also sometimes "plus-size" is framing clothing as "oh, you're overweight" when I kinda would have preferred just a number? Especially when I was a bit lighter I was still considered a plus-size despite being kinda maybe average-ish weight? I also could kinda grumble about how sizes tends to be a bit weird at times, like how I wanted to get a 38A bra and, well, most places treat 38s as closer to Ds than As so I paid a bit more.

I dunno, grumble grumble.
1 year

Miachu:
Thank you
[quote]
Munchies:

Thaynor:
It is, but it's also sometimes "plus-size" is framing clothing as "oh, you're overweight" when I kinda would have preferred just a number? Especially when I was a bit lighter I was still considered a plus-size despite being kinda maybe average-ish weight? I also could kinda grumble about how sizes tends to be a bit weird at times, like how I wanted to get a 38A bra and, well, most places treat 38s as closer to Ds than As so I paid a bit more.

I dunno, grumble grumble.

Well, no one said it was perfect. There is a lot wrong with the women's clothing industry as a whole. To say nothing about the plus sized subsection.
1 year

Dalchemist:
I don't care about not having a name for larger men's fashion, they can call it *** hours the line if they give me a cool looking shirt at 3xl or 4xl.

Is the term not just Big &Tall everywhere?
1 year