Gaining

No results despite eating before bed + no exercise for 9 months

I've been trying to gain for around 9~10 months now and I haven't gained even a kg. I've tried eating before bed (usually 500 calories+) and not exercising but still no results. I was naive thinking I'd passively gain.

What I'm guessing is the problem is that I don't consume enough calories + having a fast metabolism but I was wondering if anyone else might be able to identify more problems.

Also for reference I don't have access to heavy cream and my BMR is around 1600 calories.

DMs are open if anyone wants to help me through DMs
1 year

Ullthrox:
I've been trying to gain for around 9~10 months now and I haven't gained even a kg. I've tried eating before bed (usually 500 calories+) and not exercising but still no results. I was naive thinking I'd passively gain.

What I'm guessing is the problem is that I don't consume enough calories + having a fast metabolism but I was wondering if anyone else might be able to identify more problems.

i think you nailed it. you are young, your metabolism is probably at its peak. you just need to overwhelm it with calories.

1600 calories is tiny. start pushing yourself to consume more if you want to gain, otherwise you will eat a little and feel full and stop.

it doesn't really matter what you consume, just have more of it. my gains did not include any heavy cream or other weird stuff - just good food and a lot of beer, because that it what i enjoy. now it's a real challenge for me to stay under 4000 calories a day!
1 year

Exactly! Whatever your metabolism is, your body will start storing fat (unless you have hyperthyroidism which causes faster metabolism via overproduction of one hormone).

I've heard that for every EXCESS 1000kcal, your body is able to store about a fifth of a pound.

For me personally, it was very hard to even push a full portion down in my stomach. So I started listening to some healthy gaining tips like:
- eat A LOT OF watermelon at once which will stretch your stomach and every time you go pee, have a high calorie density foods like creamy soups, pancakes with peanut butter, nuts,....
- Make at least one large smoothie every day from bananas, avocado, nuts, full fat yogurts, etc.

And the ultimate win is FIND SOMEONE WHO LOVES TO COOK AND BAKE 🍰
1 year

Ullthrox:

canuck:
i think you nailed it. you are young, your metabolism is probably at its peak. you just need to overwhelm it with calories.

1600 calories is tiny. start pushing yourself to consume more if you want to gain, otherwise you will eat a little and feel full and stop.

it doesn't really matter what you consume, just have more of it. my gains did not include any heavy cream or other weird stuff - just good food and a lot of beer, because that it what i enjoy. now it's a real challenge for me to stay under 4000 calories a day!

Thank you good to hear that I'm on the right track
1 year

CuteBoy:
Exactly! Whatever your metabolism is, your body will start storing fat (unless you have hyperthyroidism which causes faster metabolism via overproduction of one hormone).

I've heard that for every EXCESS 1000kcal, your body is able to store about a fifth of a pound.

For me personally, it was very hard to even push a full portion down in my stomach. So I started listening to some healthy gaining tips like:
- eat A LOT OF watermelon at once which will stretch your stomach and every time you go pee, have a high calorie density foods like creamy soups, pancakes with peanut butter, nuts,....
- Make at least one large smoothie every day from bananas, avocado, nuts, full fat yogurts, etc.

I think I might have to get into baking myself sounds like fun
1 year

Ullthrox:

canuck:

Will my appetite improve as my stomach capacity increases or as I gain? I have a bad habit of skipping meals occasionally even when I'm really hungry.
1 year

Ullthrox:

canuck:

Ullthrox:
Will my appetite improve as my stomach capacity increases or as I gain? I have a bad habit of skipping meals occasionally even when I'm really hungry.

It definitely will ☺️
1 year

CuteBoy:

Ullthrox:
I think I might have to get into baking myself sounds like fun

Ayumi Orihime:
I have plenty of recipes on my account! I'm an accomplished baker πŸͺπŸ§πŸ‘©πŸ»β€πŸ³
thanks I'll check them out
1 year