Extreme obesity

Controversial thoughts about feederism

From the healthcare side I understand as it has been proven a lot of health problems can be caused by obesity. I’m not going to deny that living at my weight isn’t very healthy in the long run. But what many people, doctors included, seem to forget is that a lot of these problems are bound to life choices. Such as eating habits and level of activity. I can name a few friends and people half my weight who eat way unhealthier then I do. I just eat more. I know people who are way less active then I am. Like I may be fat but I make choices to life healthy.

That aside, there is a chance you get obesity related health problems not a given. Just like smoking increases your chance at getting lung cancer, but it doesn’t mean you will get cancer.

I choose to be fat, I know the risks of my choices and I accept them. But at the end I think I much rather die happy, fat and unhealthy than having to deal with the health issues we face when we are 80+.
1 year

Bigdj1977:
I completely understand that sentiment you expressed at the end of this post. I too started out in a field that has some physically demanding jobs but as I got bigger, I was lucky to find positions that are much more desk bound. You may have to get some additional training or credentials but if it allows you to live life more according to your preferences that is a small price to pay. Also, keep in mind that for many people, myself included, there comes a size where they have to eat a satisfying amount of food to just maintain or gain very slowly (this is the mid 400s for me) and are still reasonably mobile.

FattMatt:
My backup plan is to start teaching when I’ve gathered a few years of experience in my field. Maybe that wil open up the possibilities of gaining to an more extreme weight. And I know I won’t be bed bound by the time I hit 500 pounds. I think however that the image of a 400-500 pound hospital worker, isn’t widely accepted in society…

Ayumi Orihime:
Many people in the medical field are very fat phobic. As a pharmacist, when I do continued education, the non pharmacological advise for most health problems include "weight loss".

I wish they'd really get educated on the subject. Research shows that voluntary weight loss isn't sustainable in the long run and that the weight cycling is the real danger, not the fatness itself.

Maybe they feel "safer" assuming all fat people are greedy and lazy, this way they are "protected" from becoming fat themselves.

Blaming fat people for their fatness and assuming health issues such as high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, etc are caused by obesity (as opposed to "associated with being fat", which isn't the same at all) is very common in health professionals and it's been shown that many have a really bad perception of their fat patients.

Just suggesting that these issues could be linked to other factors also associated with being fat (stress, lack of exercise or weight cycling for example) is seen as controversial!

It's just ridiculous and I don't want to me a part of it. I've never told a patient of mine they should lose weight and I never will.

Munchies:
I think it depends on what health issue they have. I agree that weight loss isn't the end all be all. A lot of health concerns can be resolved by doing something else.

But some medical conditions can be helped by some level of weight loss. For example, my grandma has osteoporosis. While losing weight will not fix the problem, it can be helped by maintaining a lower weight. To put it simply, she had to lose weight because her bones are not strong enough to support her.

This also doesn't take into account the more extreme forms of obesity such as immobility. I don't think most immobile people will tell you that they are as fit as a fiddle. But on FF, I believe that is part of the appeal.

Ayumi Orihime:
I agree for osteoporosis (although being too skinny is even worse for it).

Def for sure. She's working to get stronger as well. I'm just saying never make blanket statements when it comes to health.

Everyone is different, and there's a multitude of health conditions out there. As such, depending on the person and the condition, fat gain and fat loss affects them different. I know people who are 200, 300+ lbs and perfectly healthy. And I know people who would be chronically sick if they got to 150 lbs.
1 year

You mention you are in school to become a radiology assistant. That is probably a good choice because it seems physically less demanding to me.
1 year

FAscination:
You mention you are in school to become a radiology assistant. That is probably a good choice because it seems physically less demanding to me.

It depends. When I’m making x-rays I walk more, when I’m working on CT or MRI I’m seated more as the length of scans are longer.
My problem is that I work in a hospital, where being morbidly obese isn’t really accepted. Therefore I’m limited in how fat I can get. I feel like 300 pounds (what my next goal is) is already pushing it. Working in healthcare means you need to have a certain portrayal of health. The bodypositivity movement has made it more acceptable to be fat, even in healthcare. But there still is a max.
1 year

FAscination:

It depends. When I’m making x-rays I walk more, when I’m working on CT or MRI I’m seated more as the length of scans are longer.
My problem is that I work in a hospital, where being morbidly obese isn’t really accepted. Therefore I’m limited in how fat I can get. I feel like 300 pounds (what my next goal is) is already pushing it. Working in healthcare means you need to have a certain portrayal of health. The bodypositivity movement has made it more acceptable to be fat, even in healthcare. But there still is a max.
1 year
12   loading