Fat experiences

What makes psychologists more likely to gain a lot of weight?

In my area there are many slightly chubby women, but there aren't many really big ones. However, I had to notice that the two fattest women in town I've ever seen (big enough to have difficulty walking too far) are both psychologists by trade. And I know of a third psychologist woman, who is also quite big for local standards.

Is that a coincidence? Or is there something in a psychologist's trade that makes them more likely to gain a lot of weight? Sedentary work alone is not the case, because there are many many office jobs around.
1 year

Curiousv:
In my area there are many slightly chubby women, but there aren't many really big ones. However, I had to notice that the two fattest women in town I've ever seen (big enough to have difficulty walking too far) are both psychologists by trade. And I know of a third psychologist woman, who is also quite big for local standards.

Is that a coincidence? Or is there something in a psychologist's trade that makes them more likely to gain a lot of weight? Sedentary work alone is not the case, because there are many many office jobs around.

Three large women is too small of sample size to do anything with.

Sure, the three biggest women you know are psychologists, but how many psychologists in your area are big women? Not enough data points to say these women are anything but outliers.
1 year

Munchies:

Sure, the three biggest women you know are psychologists, but how many psychologists in your area are big women? Not enough data points to say these women are anything but outliers.

I also know the basics of Bayesian statistics smiley

But as I haven't conducted a scientific study on a statistically significant level, and don't have the means to do so, this is all the data I have.

An indicator of significance is that I haven't gotten to know them as psychologists. I got to know them randomly, and only later did I discover their profession. Taking in consideration that women of this size are quite rare in my area, it might be at least a little more than pure random chance.
1 year

Munchies:

Curiousv:
I also know the basics of Bayesian statistics smiley

But as I haven't conducted a scientific study on a statistically significant level, and don't have the means to do so, this is all the data I have.

An indicator of significance is that I haven't gotten to know them as psychologists. I got to know them randomly, and only later did I discover their profession. Taking in consideration that women of this size are quite rare in my area, it might be at least a little more than pure random chance.

Is there something to it? Maybe. Do you know enough to draw any meaningful conclusions? No.
1 year

Munchies:
Is there something to it? Maybe. Do you know enough to draw any meaningful conclusions? No.

As we're not the only two people on this site, I was wondering maybe there are others who can share their experiences and thoughts on the topic.
1 year

Munchies:

Curiousv:
As we're not the only two people on this site, I was wondering maybe there are others who can share their experiences and thoughts on the topic.

True, but psychologists come in all shapes and sizes. It would be more logical that these women have something else in common.
1 year

My father practiced psychology/psychiatry/psychoanalysis for about 50 years, and my sister currently practices psychology. I also studied a little psychology, so that’s my background for offering the following simple and hopefully not-too-painfully-obvious observation: many people get into psychology as a way of working out their own issues. It’s possible these women followed that path because they’re prone to issues relating to food and eating, etc… or not. Too many other potential factors to draw any conclusions with certainty.
1 year

Frogman:
My father practiced psychology/psychiatry/psychoanalysis for about 50 years, and my sister currently practices psychology. I also studied a little psychology, so that’s my background for offering the following simple and hopefully not-too-painfully-obvious observation: many people get into psychology as a way of working out their own issues. It’s possible these women followed that path because they’re prone to issues relating to food and eating, etc… or not. Too many other potential factors to draw any conclusions with certainty.

My thoughts exactly. A lot of super fat people who don't have a fat fetish eat as a coping mechanism. It isn't unreasonable to assume they got unto psychology because they want to help people like them who have also suffered.
1 year

Out of the few I’ve seen in the past they’ve been skinny/fit from what I remember.
1 year

Interesting. Maybe it has to do with choosing an office career versus something outdoors or with manual labor? Or a very busy job? Or very stressful?
1 year