General

For women, femme, and non-binary/gnc friends: what would a safe fa space look like to you?

Munchies I doubt we can be free of people we don't prefer to be around.
People say they are all inclusive then start excluding certain ones they don't like.Thats far from inclusive.
Personally there are many people I don't agree with on this site but I would never exclude their voices.
All have a right to be heard.
1 year

For women, femme, and non-binary/gnc friends: what would a safe fa space look like to you?

Finickyfeedee:
I also want to say I think a good idea might be to require people to answer questions before joining the website and go through an approval process by a real person reading their answers - NO personally identifiable information or photos should be required because it’s not a safe space if people have to risk being outed if information leaks, but short-answer questions about appropriate conduct (e.g. “Why would it be inappropriate to send this message to someone?” or “Give an example of a respectful way to approach a person you’re interested in”). This would serve the dual purpose of weeding out creeps who are foolish enough to say things like “Actually, I think it’s fine to send unsolicited sexts,” and weeding out creeps who are lazy or impatient because it would take time and effort to fill out the questionnaire and then wait for it to be reviewed and approved. Of course, some would still get through, but they’d be in smaller numbers and therefore easier for users to block and moderators to ban before things got out of hand.

I kinda disagree with an application form style for two reasons:
A. Those who would potentially be abusive would happily lie on such a form.
B. It would weed out neurodivergent people who may not have the social skills to navigate such an essay form. This could be a slightly good thing only in the sense that neurotypical people absolutely do not have a monopoly for bad behaviour, but it would inevitably weed out neurodivergent people who need such a safe space but are unable to pass a form due to lacking the ability to articulate their thoughts in isolation of someone else to talk to.

However, I absolutely agree that heavy moderation and deeply ingrained moderation tools would be key to it working.
1 year

Ditzy:
Munchies I doubt we can be free of people we don't prefer to be around.
People say they are all inclusive then start excluding certain ones they don't like.Thats far from inclusive.
Personally there are many people I don't agree with on this site but I would never exclude their voices.
All have a right to be heard.

Eh. I see where you are coming from. But some voices do not need to be heard. Specifically voices that make it unsafe for others.

Not too long ago, there was an insane person in FF chat that went on a 12 hour hate speech attack. It was a lovely time to discover that FF does not censor slurs for black people and Jews. And I, a black Jewish American woman was told to go back to my country by a white American man.

And then there are the voices that think minorities ask too much and we should br grateful for what we have while trying to take away what rights we do have.

I could go on, but you get the point.
1 year

Finickyfeedee:
I also want to say I think a good idea might be to require people to answer questions before joining the website and go through an approval process by a real person reading their answers - NO personally identifiable information or photos should be required because it’s not a safe space if people have to risk being outed if information leaks, but short-answer questions about appropriate conduct (e.g. “Why would it be inappropriate to send this message to someone?” or “Give an example of a respectful way to approach a person you’re interested in”). This would serve the dual purpose of weeding out creeps who are foolish enough to say things like “Actually, I think it’s fine to send unsolicited sexts,” and weeding out creeps who are lazy or impatient because it would take time and effort to fill out the questionnaire and then wait for it to be reviewed and approved. Of course, some would still get through, but they’d be in smaller numbers and therefore easier for users to block and moderators to ban before things got out of hand.

Thaynor:
I kinda disagree with an application form style for two reasons:
A. Those who would potentially be abusive would happily lie on such a form.
B. It would weed out neurodivergent people who may not have the social skills to navigate such an essay form. This could be a slightly good thing only in the sense that neurotypical people absolutely do not have a monopoly for bad behaviour, but it would inevitably weed out neurodivergent people who need such a safe space but are unable to pass a form due to lacking the ability to articulate their thoughts in isolation of someone else to talk to.

However, I absolutely agree that heavy moderation and deeply ingrained moderation tools would be key to it working.

You do make a good point about the application process, but there *should* be some kind of screening processes. I know FF screens IP addresses and emails, but would that be enough?
1 year

What does safe mean for you ?
1 year

Mogus92:
What does safe mean for you ?

I mentioned this earlier, but I'll post it again:

I do not ask for much, tbh. I just want an inbox free of creeps, not to have to fight people on basic human rights, to be respected as a person first, and to have the ability to easily block and report people who are terrible.
1 year

From the need of basic moderation tools we went on no wasp (I litteraly didn’t know what it means) or terf. It went from 0 to 100 pretty quickly
1 year

Mogus92:
From the need of basic moderation tools we went on no wasp (I litteraly didn’t know what it means) or terf. It went from 0 to 100 pretty quickly

These people are some examples of people who need to be moderated.

A TERF (trans-exclusionry radical feminist) is a transphobic person.

A WASP (white affluent schooled person) is a specific flavor of white person that is classist and bigoted. Worst of all, they often don't even realize it.

I have had ... unfortunate dealings with both groups. Moreso the second one than the first because I am not trans.
1 year

TIL another take on WASP. I thought it was White Anglo-Saxon Protestant
1 year

LoraDayton:
TIL another take on WASP. I thought it was White Anglo-Saxon Protestant

Actually, both are correct.
1 year
23456   loading