General

For women, femme, and non-binary/gnc friends: what would a safe fa space look like to you?

Enas:
Someone said that there could be a website that won't allow men in it (something like that)
That's what i was referring to. Apart from what might seems obvious, there is a big problem when trying to exclude a specific group of people from somewhere on the internet. It's not the real world. You can ban computers, as in the devises themselves from accessing but you cannot really ban a human from that place. Only make it harder for them to access. It's much easier to only include a specific group and exclude anyone else altho that's still not safe, technically speaking.
That's why i said that this is not a good idea. But if there is an ideal world then this doesn't make sense because it only hides the problem of men feeling like you owe them something. (as Miachu put it)
Whouldnt it be actually better if this was entirely solved? In an ideal world that whould happen, i think!
That's my one point. The other is i saw what everyone said and noticed it was indeed on topic. What that place whould look like. I just wanted to also answer the question that nobody asked; what whould it's mechanism work like! Maybe I'll give other people ideas and they might write them too! And somebody might actually work with it! Again I'm suggesting how it could work. Not how it whould feel to the end user.
Please, do try to challenge my idea! I'd love to see its flaws and think of how it can be improved!
Uhm, does this make sense now? 😅

Enas, why do you want to be a part of a safe space for women, femmes, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people?
1 year

For women, femme, and non-binary/gnc friends: what would a safe fa space look like to you?

Enas:
Someone said that there could be a website that won't allow men in it (something like that)
That's what i was referring to. Apart from what might seems obvious, there is a big problem when trying to exclude a specific group of people from somewhere on the internet. It's not the real world. You can ban computers, as in the devises themselves from accessing but you cannot really ban a human from that place. Only make it harder for them to access. It's much easier to only include a specific group and exclude anyone else altho that's still not safe, technically speaking.
That's why i said that this is not a good idea. But if there is an ideal world then this doesn't make sense because it only hides the problem of men feeling like you owe them something. (as Miachu put it)
Whouldnt it be actually better if this was entirely solved? In an ideal world that whould happen, i think!
That's my one point. The other is i saw what everyone said and noticed it was indeed on topic. What that place whould look like. I just wanted to also answer the question that nobody asked; what whould it's mechanism work like! Maybe I'll give other people ideas and they might write them too! And somebody might actually work with it! Again I'm suggesting how it could work. Not how it whould feel to the end user.
Please, do try to challenge my idea! I'd love to see its flaws and think of how it can be improved!

Munchies:
Enas, why do you want to be a part of a safe space for women, femmes, non-binary, and gender non-conforming people?

Munchies I'm really confused! 😂
I don't think i said that, what i said is more on the lines of, I'd love to help in the process of creating such a safe place. I'm guessing you wanna know why, and that's because it makes me sad that people are mistreated by other people only because the latter haven't matured yet. I don't mind if the people i help are not in the same group i am I'd just like to help. It pleases me to do so
1 year

Enas:

Munchies:

Enas:
I don't think i said that, what i said is more on the lines of, I'd love to help in the process of creating such a safe place. I'm guessing you wanna know why, and that's because it makes me sad that people are mistreated by other people only because the latter haven't matured yet. I don't mind if the people i help are not in the same group i am I'd just like to help. It pleases me to do so

So ... you want to be involved in this safe space because you're one of the good ones. As such, you are entitled to be a part of this safe space because you've earned it.

Am I correct?
1 year

I don’t think a safe space for women, femmes, nonbinary and GNC people can reasonably exclude men because many people in those categories are also men or are targeted for harassment due to falsely perceived proximity to manhood. GNC and femme men and nonbinary people whose identities may partially or fully include manhood (bi-gender, gender-fluid, etc), as well as people who aren’t men at all but present masculine or don’t pass as cis women regardless of how they present are not safe in a space that bans men, if they can even access it at all. Furthermore, even just banning cis gender-conforming men specifically (how would this be verified?) still feeds into bioessentialist attitudes that are at the core of a lot of transphobic rhetoric and encourages a culture of paranoid transphobes always on the lookout for people who don’t pass well enough for their liking to harass off the platform.

Instead, a safe space should be created through strict moderation and a robust blocking system. Allegations of misconduct should be taken seriously and dealt with swiftly and harshly, and rules about appropriate conduct should be clearly outlined, banning all types of harassment and bigotry. That kind of robust moderation is of course not easy, but it’s still easier and more ethical than trying to come up with a threshold for who has too close of proximity to manhood to be allowed in the safe space without excluding vulnerable people who need the safe space.
1 year

Finickyfeedee:
I don’t think a safe space for women, femmes, nonbinary and GNC people can reasonably exclude men because many people in those categories are also men or are targeted for harassment due to falsely perceived proximity to manhood. GNC and femme men and nonbinary people whose identities may partially or fully include manhood (bi-gender, gender-fluid, etc), as well as people who aren’t men at all but present masculine or don’t pass as cis women regardless of how they present are not safe in a space that bans men, if they can even access it at all. Furthermore, even just banning cis gender-conforming men specifically (how would this be verified?) still feeds into bioessentialist attitudes that are at the core of a lot of transphobic rhetoric and encourages a culture of paranoid transphobes always on the lookout for people who don’t pass well enough for their liking to harass off the platform.

Instead, a safe space should be created through strict moderation and a robust blocking system. Allegations of misconduct should be taken seriously and dealt with swiftly and harshly, and rules about appropriate conduct should be clearly outlined, banning all types of harassment and bigotry. That kind of robust moderation is of course not easy, but it’s still easier and more ethical than trying to come up with a threshold for who has too close of proximity to manhood to be allowed in the safe space without excluding vulnerable people who need the safe space.

@Enas, this is how you engage with this question in a more productive way.
1 year

Enas:

Munchies:

Enas:

Munchies:
So ... you want to be involved in this safe space because you're one of the good ones. As such, you are entitled to be a part of this safe space because you've earned it.

Am I correct?

Can we chat about this next time? It's midnight and i think i dont communicate it well enough
1 year

Finickyfeedee:

Munchies:
@Enas, this is how you engage with this question in a more productive way.

And noted! ^^
1 year

Enas:

Munchies:

Enas:

Munchies:

Am I correct?

Enas:
Can we chat about this next time? It's midnight and i think i dont communicate it well enough

If I am feeling up to it.
1 year

I also want to say I think a good idea might be to require people to answer questions before joining the website and go through an approval process by a real person reading their answers - NO personally identifiable information or photos should be required because it’s not a safe space if people have to risk being outed if information leaks, but short-answer questions about appropriate conduct (e.g. “Why would it be inappropriate to send this message to someone?” or “Give an example of a respectful way to approach a person you’re interested in”). This would serve the dual purpose of weeding out creeps who are foolish enough to say things like “Actually, I think it’s fine to send unsolicited sexts,” and weeding out creeps who are lazy or impatient because it would take time and effort to fill out the questionnaire and then wait for it to be reviewed and approved. Of course, some would still get through, but they’d be in smaller numbers and therefore easier for users to block and moderators to ban before things got out of hand.
1 year

Finickyfeedee:
I also want to say I think a good idea might be to require people to answer questions before joining the website and go through an approval process by a real person reading their answers - NO personally identifiable information or photos should be required because it’s not a safe space if people have to risk being outed if information leaks, but short-answer questions about appropriate conduct (e.g. “Why would it be inappropriate to send this message to someone?” or “Give an example of a respectful way to approach a person you’re interested in”). This would serve the dual purpose of weeding out creeps who are foolish enough to say things like “Actually, I think it’s fine to send unsolicited sexts,” and weeding out creeps who are lazy or impatient because it would take time and effort to fill out the questionnaire and then wait for it to be reviewed and approved. Of course, some would still get through, but they’d be in smaller numbers and therefore easier for users to block and moderators to ban before things got out of hand.

Almost like a college application in a way.

Of course, the approval team would need to follow reasonable, publically available guidelines and have a diverse group of people. Don't want any WASPs, TERFs, xenophobes, racists, etc. in charge. But you also want to minimize the effects of biases as well.
1 year
12345   loading