Dating/Friendships

Throwing myself out there…

Wat:
I see you have autism. That's going to make things extremely difficult because studies show a majority of autistic men never have a relationship or intercourse. Autism is basically a mental illness that makes you as unattractive as possible to women but I managed even though they diagnosed me with it. (I honestly think I was misdiagnosed but I obviously still had some signs so the disadvantages were the same). Here are some tips from my experience since we may have a more similar background than the others posting:

1. Never tell a girl you're a virgin, lie if you have to. This is basically telling a woman that no other woman has found you attractive. Women cannot really understand an unwilling virgin because men are pretty much constantly begging them for sex and in your 30s it is going to be a massive red flag. Perhaps it would be different with a deeply religious girl but those are very hard to find these days.
2. Don't blab about your mental issues to them. You are admitting to having a defective brain when you do this and that's going to scare away a lot.
3. Never whine or self depreciate like you did ITT.
4. Looks matter a ton. You probably aren't witty or popular enough to talk your way around being unkempt or ugly so you're going to need to do a lot of research in improving your appearance and working with what you've got.
5. The more friends you have the better. This will not only widen your social circle to include more people that know women but also make you appear more attractive. Even goofy autistic friends are better than no friends in public.
6. Learn to mask your autism around people. Observe how normal people speak/behave and emulate them. Perhaps even record yourself to pick out certain things you didn't notice before and fix them.
7. Manage good hygiene.
8. Your pool of potential girls on forums like this is laughably small to the point of it almost being a waste of time. Even something like tinder would be a vast improvement. Lucky for you society sees overweight women as being less attractive so that increases your chances, there is no shortage of bigger girls in western countries. Keep the fact that you find fat sexually arousing to yourself until you are very comfortable in your relationship though.

You need to tackle these as soon as possible and it is not going to be easy. Going to therapy and not making drastic lifestyle changes is not going to bear fruit for a 30+ year old autistic man. A lot of therapy is about learning to cope with things rather than improve them and in my experience they are going to try their hardest to steer you away from even trying with girls.

Autistic woman here. Autistic men can and do have happy long-term relationships. I know several - including some who have married other autistic people.

psychcentral.com/autism/autism-and-relationships

Some proof of my statement instead ... whatever garbage you just pulled out of thin air.

1. There is nothing wrong with being a virgin. At all. And if a woman cannot love you for being a virgin, then move on. Plus, if you lie, she will find out.

2. Deeply religious women are pretty common.

3. There's nothing wrong with being open about mental health issues, but you should never burden people with them. It's your responsibility - not theirs.

4. Yes, you should take care of yourself and your appearance, but that was just cruel.

5. It's good to put yourself out there, but having a lot of friends isn't inherently attractive. It's more about how you treat/interact with your friends.

6. You shouldn't hide your autism. There's nothing wrong with being autistic (not that we know for sure OP is). I don't hide it, and people accept me for who I am. What you *SHOULD* do is learn how to interact with people in a healthy, productive manner.

7. Do not encourage OP to prey on insecure fat women. That's manipulative and abusive. We want him to live his best life and be happy. We don't want him to be some creep you see on the 6 o'clock news.
1 year

Munchies:
Autistic woman here. Autistic men can and do have happy long-term relationships. I know several - including some who have married other autistic people.

Some proof of my statement instead ... whatever garbage you just pulled out of thin air.

1. There is nothing wrong with being a virgin. At all. And if a woman cannot love you for being a virgin, then move on. Plus, if you lie, she will find out.

3. There's nothing wrong with being open about mental health issues, but you should never burden people with them. It's your responsibility - not theirs.

4. Yes, you should take care of yourself and your appearance, but that was just cruel.

5. It's good to put yourself out there, but having a lot of friends isn't inherently attractive. It's more about how you treat/interact with your friends.

6. You shouldn't hide your autism. There's nothing wrong with being autistic (not that we know for sure OP is). I don't hide it, and people accept me for who I am. What you *SHOULD* do is learn how to interact with people in a healthy, productive manner.

7. Do not encourage OP to prey on insecure fat women. That's manipulative and abusive. We want him to live his best life and be happy. We don't want him to be some creep you see on the 6 o'clock news.

I did not say that autistic men never fall into relationships. I said it is an uphill battle.
Here is the proof of my statement that I pulled out of thin air: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5789215/
You will also see from that study that autistic women have a much easier time than autistic men.

1. No, there is nothing wrong with being a virgin. That does not eliminate the deep social stigma accompanied with it, especially for someone of advanced age.
2. Deeply religious people in general are a rarity today. If someone is engaging in premarital sex they could hardly be considered a devout Christian.
3. Being open is one thing but yes burdening others is another. Better to just keep it to yourself, there is no benefit to be had in telling others.
4. Reality is cruel. An autistic man is likely not going to be a smoothtalking coolguy.
5. Women are attracted to social status. OP being seen in a group of friends will send signals that he has social value and potentially level headed.
6. Autism is not a blessing. Autism is not fun. Autism is an illness that makes life harder and I know countless men that would lose a limb to be free of it. Generally the people more open about their autism are the ones who are less burdened by it, they use it almost as a conversation piece.
7. OP has a preference for larger women. There is nothing wrong with him pursuing them.
1 year

Munchies:

Wat:
I did not say that autistic men never fall into relationships. I said it is an uphill battle.
Here is the proof of my statement that I pulled out of thin air: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5789215/
You will also see from that study that autistic women have a much easier time than autistic men.

1. No, there is nothing wrong with being a virgin. That does not eliminate the deep social stigma accompanied with it, especially for someone of advanced age.
2. Deeply religious people in general are a rarity today. If someone is engaging in premarital sex they could hardly be considered a devout Christian.
3. Being open is one thing but yes burdening others is another. Better to just keep it to yourself, there is no benefit to be had in telling others.
4. Reality is cruel. An autistic man is likely not going to be a smoothtalking coolguy.
5. Women are attracted to social status. OP being seen in a group of friends will send signals that he has social value and potentially level headed.
6. Autism is not a blessing. Autism is not fun. Autism is an illness that makes life harder and I know countless men that would lose a limb to be free of it. Generally the people more open about their autism are the ones who are less burdened by it, they use it almost as a conversation piece.
7. OP has a preference for larger women. There is nothing wrong with him pursuing them.

You said, "That's going to make things extremely difficult because studies show a majority of autistic men never have a relationship or intercourse." You didn't say that it was an uphill battle. You said that he's most likely to never have a relationship or intercourse. You are also assuming OP ahs ASD. While you may be correct, it's still an assumption.

1. Yes, there is a stigma about older adults being virgins. However, nothing good can come from lying to your partner about your sexual history. You shouldn't come out the gate swinging because that's weird. But don't lie. It destroys trust.

2. Indeed, Americans are not as religious as they used to be. Per this poll (www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5789215/) about 49% of Americans consider themselves very religious. And seeing that America has about 332 million people, that's still a lot of people. This link has a comprehensive break down by demographic for Christians specifically: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5789215/

3. You can try to hide mental health issues, but people will notice. Once you've gotten close enough with a person, it's important to let them know these things. If you can't be your true self with your partner, then you shouldn't be together at all.

4. You don't need to be suave to have a relationship. But you *are* being mean for no good reason. It helps no one and comes off as projecting insecurities.

5. Some women like social status, but not all care about that. Everyone is different. Besides, having many friends to gain social value cheapens friendships.

6. ASD can be a pain to live with - especially lower-functioning ASD. But it isn't a mental illness: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5789215/. And if OP does have ASD, he shouldn't be ashamed of it. Do not put that on him.

7. There's nothing wrong with pursuing bigger women. The problem is pursuing *insecure* women to make things easier on OP. That's an insult to both parties.
1 year

Wat:
I see you have autism. That's going to make things extremely difficult because studies show a majority of autistic men never have a relationship or intercourse. Autism is basically a mental illness that makes you as unattractive as possible to women but I managed even though they diagnosed me with it. (I honestly think I was misdiagnosed but I obviously still had some signs so the disadvantages were the same). Here are some tips from my experience since we may have a more similar background than the others posting:

1. Never tell a girl you're a virgin, lie if you have to. This is basically telling a woman that no other woman has found you attractive. Women cannot really understand an unwilling virgin because men are pretty much constantly begging them for sex and in your 30s it is going to be a massive red flag. Perhaps it would be different with a deeply religious girl but those are very hard to find these days.
2. Don't blab about your mental issues to them. You are admitting to having a defective brain when you do this and that's going to scare away a lot.
4. Looks matter a ton. You probably aren't witty or popular enough to talk your way around being unkempt or ugly so you're going to need to do a lot of research in improving your appearance and working with what you've got.
5. The more friends you have the better. This will not only widen your social circle to include more people that know women but also make you appear more attractive. Even goofy autistic friends are better than no friends in public.
6. Learn to mask your autism around people. Observe how normal people speak/behave and emulate them. Perhaps even record yourself to pick out certain things you didn't notice before and fix them.
7. Manage good hygiene.
8. Your pool of potential girls on forums like this is laughably small to the point of it almost being a waste of time. Even something like tinder would be a vast improvement. Lucky for you society sees overweight women as being less attractive so that increases your chances, there is no shortage of bigger girls in western countries. Keep the fact that you find fat sexually arousing to yourself until you are very comfortable in your relationship though.

You need to tackle these as soon as possible and it is not going to be easy. Going to therapy and not making drastic lifestyle changes is not going to bear fruit for a 30+ year old autistic man. A lot of therapy is about learning to cope with things rather than improve them and in my experience they are going to try their hardest to steer you away from even trying with girls.

Woah, hold up. Just because OP has said some things about himself that you relate to and have been attributed to your diagnosed autism doesn't qualify you diagnose him and tell him to adopt manipulative and dishonest behaviors. In fact, accusing someone of being autistic like you have based on the negative traits you've chosen to highlight only adds to the inaccurate stereotype and stigma that ostracizes autistic people already. That's not cool.

I'm sorry that your autism has made navigating life hard for you, and I'm sorry your experience with therapy hasn't yielded the results you might have wanted. But labelling people with things that really need a professional diagnosis (or extensive research and self reflection to make a possible self diagnosis) and telling them to avoid things like therapy when they are asking for help is not cool.
1 year

And Kaede45, I'm sorry you're being talked about rather than to at this point. Know that there is always help and support if you need it and that there are plenty of people here still willing to at least try answer any questions you might have in a friendly and helpful manner.
1 year

Wat:

7. Manage good hygiene.

Yeah that's complete horse$hit. A girl I used to fool around with married her longtime boyfriend who is a low functioning autistic and they have a daughter together that's doing well in elementary school.

The OP never said he was autistic either so you're projecting your own insecurities.
1 year

The OP literally states on his profile that he has aspergers and depression.........

Reflection Of Perfection:
Yeah that's complete horse$hit. A girl I used to fool around with married her longtime boyfriend who is a low functioning autistic and they have a daughter together that's doing well in elementary school.

The OP never said he was autistic either so you're projecting your own insecurities.

Ok? Your anecdotal evidence of one guy you don't really know doesn't disprove the study I posted.
1 year

Ugh, I wrote out this great response that addressed every point Wat made, but there were so many points raised that I can't edit it down to fit in the character limit, lol. The TLDR is that most of the problems he identified are real, but his conclusions are all wrong, like he gave seriously terrible advice. And all of my arguments were probably very convincing, you're just gonna have to trust me on that one, haha
Might post it later, idk
1 year
12   loading