General

Why don’t more people here get dexa scans?

Tracking your progress and knowing exactly how much fatter you’re getting is super hot.
1 year

Why don’t people just hire a personal chef? Why don’t people just buy their own fast food franchise. Money that’s why people don’t get DEXA scans because they can’t afford them.
1 year

Kimllyy:
Tracking your progress and knowing exactly how much fatter you’re getting is super hot.

A dexa scan is a bone density scan. Putting aside the cost factor, why would this show how fat you are getting? And why would you keep getting an unnessary scan and waste everyone's time.
1 year

Probably because you do not need a DEXA scan unless you are a certain age or have unusual risk factors for osteoporosis, they’re expensive if your insurance doesn’t cover them, and there isn’t anything enjoyable about them?

I get them yearly because when I was very underweight that did a lot of damage to my bones. I can tell you firsthand your bone density scores don’t necessarily go up when your weight does. They just stop getting worse as fast as they used to if you were badly underweight before, and might plateau if you’re lucky. What makes them go up is if you do certain kinds of exercise or if you get medication to fix your bone density. Usually, the doctor doesn’t even tell you your exact numbers, just if you have osteoporosis or not, if your bone density got better or worse, and which bones are the most at risk of breaking.
1 year

Finickyfeedee:
Probably because you do not need a DEXA scan unless you are a certain age or have unusual risk factors for osteoporosis, they’re expensive if your insurance doesn’t cover them, and there isn’t anything enjoyable about them?

I get them yearly because when I was very underweight that did a lot of damage to my bones. I can tell you firsthand your bone density scores don’t necessarily go up when your weight does. They just stop getting worse as fast as they used to if you were badly underweight before, and might plateau if you’re lucky. What makes them go up is if you do certain kinds of exercise or if you get medication to fix your bone density. Usually, the doctor doesn’t even tell you your exact numbers, just if you have osteoporosis or not, if your bone density got better or worse, and which bones are the most at risk of breaking.

This^ on top of the fact American health insurance companies won’t pay for it unless it’s preventative after age 60 or an underlying issue prior to that age and you’re still on the hook to pay it unless you have a really good health plan.
1 year