General

It's a myth that fat people can't feel the cold!

Summerr:
Because I'm huge and I can. Omg, it's freezing. Even with the heating on it's still chilly 🥶

Weetabix:
As an amateur scientist I'm trying to figure this out. The temperature in a room can be 23C but because it's cold outside we feel cold inside.

There's either something more to this or it's just women act like princesses when it comes to their comfort.

It's actually a very well-studied phenomenon with many papers about it. Some links for your convenience:

www.pfizer.com/news/articles/cold_wars_why_women_feel_the_chill_more

I will say that if something is common in a large group of people, it's probably not an overreaction.
1 year

Summerr:
Because I'm huge and I can. Omg, it's freezing. Even with the heating on it's still chilly 🥶

Weetabix:
As an amateur scientist I'm trying to figure this out. The temperature in a room can be 23C but because it's cold outside we feel cold inside.

There's either something more to this or it's just women act like princesses when it comes to their comfort.

Munchies:
It's actually a very well-studied phenomenon with many papers about it. Some links for your convenience:

I will say that if something is common in a large group of people, it's probably not an overreaction.

Well that is interesting but the article does assume it's cold. What I am finding with my partner us that she is cold not because the room is cold but because it's cold outside.

I have set up regular temperature, pressure and humidity logging plus a button to record too cold, comfortable and too hot. I've not set up outdoor temperature monitoring which means the experiment is still incomplete.

I think the article gives me something to think about in that women may react to the idea that it's cold by conserving heat by shutting off blood flow to the extremities. This would actually make them cold.

When my woman says she is cold, her hands actually feel cold, colder than the room! I should measure her hand temperature for my experiment.

I myself am like a 2kw electric fire. Heat comes off me so much that I was out today in a T-shirt watching all the people wrapped up in sheepskin coats and scarfs.
1 year

Summerr:

Weetabix:

Munchies:

Weetabix:
Well that is interesting but the article does assume it's cold. What I am finding with my partner us that she is cold not because the room is cold but because it's cold outside.

I have set up regular temperature, pressure and humidity logging plus a button to record too cold, comfortable and too hot. I've not set up outdoor temperature monitoring which means the experiment is still incomplete.

I think the article gives me something to think about in that women may react to the idea that it's cold by conserving heat by shutting off blood flow to the extremities. This would actually make them cold.

When my woman says she is cold, her hands actually feel cold, colder than the room! I should measure her hand temperature for my experiment.

I myself am like a 2kw electric fire. Heat comes off me so much that I was out today in a T-shirt watching all the people wrapped up in sheepskin coats and scarfs.

There are non-gender-related reasons why someone may feel cold. Your wife may have an iron deficiency or poor blood circulation, for example. Of course, only her doctor will be able to say why she feels the way she does.
1 year

Summerr:

Weetabix:

Munchies:

Weetabix:

Munchies:
There are non-gender-related reasons why someone may feel cold. Your wife may have an iron deficiency or poor blood circulation, for example. Of course, only her doctor will be able to say why she feels the way she does.

That's probably true.
1 year

Me reading these studies sweating in a sweatshirt when it’s 17 degrees outside

Lol
1 year

it seem this bizarre misconception stems from a misguided belief that fat is comparable to blubber. this, of course, is ridiculous nonsense as humans cannot amass blubber. blubber is a dense layer of "fat like" inclinatory flesh that for the most part is exclusive to marine mammals like whales, seals, sea lions, ect. and is generally devoid of veins and all the little never endings and other bits that human skin has that register the sensations of touch and heat and cold or pours that allow us to regulate our body temperature by sweating. so in essence the fatter a human becomes the more surface is developed and kind of like the sail of a ship catches more wind the wider it is the more cold a fatter human body will experience similarly. that along with the increased distance from the human "core" (that being the warm center with all the pumping blood and lung action as well as digestion that cause a great deal of our warmer areas, A very necessary heat for us to function) that outer dermal layer becomes adds to the cold sensation being magnified with the further distance blood needs to be pumped. all this unnecessary dialog i realize I'm typing hopefully is accurate enough to over emphasize just how vastly different fat is to blubber. of course the increased effort required to move all added body fat will defiantly lead to rapid overheating in almost any temperature. much like the reason for increased cold sensation in warmer temperatures a fatter body will experience more heat and so more sweat as a result of the body attempting to regulate its temperature within necessary parameters to properly function. so bundle up if its cold and stay well airconditioned when its hot as your body grows kids! if you got this far then yes i am very aware how ridiculously long and unnecessary my comment is. its no mistake. kinda my thing.
1 year

Oh boy finally SOMEONE asked.
People for 10 years in a place it snowed assume this. To a point my skin is turning blue and they are just impressed I am not cold as i shiver.

WE FEEL COLD. PLEASE for the love of fucking GOD give us a jacket. Let us be warm. It is my pet peeve for ten years now as no caretaker got my floridian ass warm clothes.

Anyways everyone has limits of what to them is hot, what to them is cold and it is different. Also physical ailments like anemia make you colder, etc. So it has nothing to do with fat.
1 year

Absolutely. I’m not saying fat people don’t feel cold I mean sure I feel cold sometimes, it’s usually when I’m in bed without covers not so much out in the cold winter night, but at the same time I can be out in a longsleve in the skid steer ploughing snow all night, im sure it has to do with what climate you were raised in, ancestry etc etc to many factors that can’t be isolated to fat = warm in cold weather
1 year

I have always heard they are more cold tolerant
1 year

I'm not heavy weight champion here, but with my 320 lbs and with diabetic neuropathia, i'm freakind cold. I have managed this situation with skiing underwear, which is very warm and i wear compression socks also, to improve my blood circuation. To cover my belly i use an maternety pants.
1 year
12   loading