Fat experiences

Offered diet pills

I got back from a doctors appointment about an hour ago. My doctor asked if I have been dieting and exercising and I said no. She asked if I needed help to lose weight and I said sure just to hear what she had to offer. She mentioned diet pills, but said she was a little weary to give me those since my blood pressure is a little high and these pills can cause high blood pressure. (My blood pressure is 137/85) She also offered a daily injection, but I declined it all. I’m sure many people here were offered diet pills at some point right? This is actually the first time it’s happened to me.
1 year

Offered diet pills

It seems really weird to me that a doctor would prescribe diet pills as they are generally frowned down upon as a means to lose weight… they are generally just appetite suppressants, or just a bunch of caffeine. Back when I’d cut for wrestling I’d take some over the counter ones just to not feel the need to eat but I was like 7% body fat dr wasn’t happy when I did my pt for my health card.
1 year

Offered diet pills

Was it wegovy? There is a push now by the AMA to get obese people on it. Even though I think it is in short supply.
1 year

Offered diet pills

Morbidly A Beast:
It seems really weird to me that a doctor would prescribe diet pills as they are generally frowned down upon as a means to lose weight… they are generally just appetite suppressants, or just a bunch of caffeine. Back when I’d cut for wrestling I’d take some over the counter ones just to not feel the need to eat but I was like 7% body fat dr wasn’t happy when I did my pt for my health card.

In my experience, the more overweight you are the more likely it is that doctors will prescribe or recommend risky, extreme or dangerous methods of weightloss.
1 year

Offered diet pills

That’s terrible :/
1 year

Offered diet pills

Anjou:
Was it wegovy? There is a push now by the AMA to get obese people on it. Even though I think it is in short supply.

I'm not a fan of diet pills and other forms of weight loss medication. I don't think it's wrong to take medication for weight loss. Sometimes a person needs to take them, and that's okay.

My problem is that too often, medication is suggested for weight loss when what most people need is lifestyle changes. The medication often comes with side effects. Plus, many people are taking them for cosmetic purposes.

I could understand if someone something like Wegovy because they need to lose weight for medical reasons, and that's the last stop before surgery. But I see too many stories of people taking stuff and they are otherwise healthy and not very fat at all.

It makes me even madder because doctora have been prescribing things like Ozempic to people who just want to shed a few tens of pounds while diabetics are needing to ration their life saving medication.

But that's just my two cents.
1 year

Offered diet pills

Doublefrosted:
In my experience, the more overweight you are the more likely it is that doctors will prescribe or recommend risky, extreme or dangerous methods of weightloss.

No joke, the last time my wife went for a check-up, they tried to pressure her into gastric bypass surgery. For no good reason, with no relevant health problems. Good thing she's confident with her body and could just shrug them off.
1 year

Offered diet pills

I had an experience finding a doctor here. On my first office visit she wanted to discuss gastric bypass. That was my last visit to her.
1 year

Offered diet pills

SmugWendy:
I had an experience finding a doctor here. On my first office visit she wanted to discuss gastric bypass. That was my last visit to her.

On the first visit? That makes no sense. Even if you were so fat that it was an active danger to your health, it still wouldn't make sense to talk about having a gastric bypass on the first visit. Feedist or not.

Not everyone is a candidate for it, and most doctors will look for non-surgical means to help you lose weight: lifestyle change, medications, literally anything but surgery. That is an objectively terrible doctor, and I am so sorry you dealt with that.
1 year

Offered diet pills

Thank you. My current doctor is much better.
1 year
12   loading