Lifestyle tips

Should i buy my gf new clothes?

So to start this post I want to say I love & support my girlfriend regardless of her size

When I met her she was on the thicker side, however she always wore clothes a few sizes too small. I'd have to help her zip up dresses that were clearly ripping at the seams or breaking

She eventually told me that she gained weight over covid and used to be quite petite. Now over the course of our relationship (1.5 years) she's put on about 30 additional pounds and definitely can't fit her old clothes

I know she wants to lose weight, and I support her. But she barely eats (like 1 small meal a day & energy drinks). I'm worried about her nutrition, and her weight isn't changing.

None of her clothes fit right & she keeps ordering clothes that are too small and being disappointed when they don't fit.

I've bought her a few things here & there that actually fit, so they've become her wardrobe staples

She knows she's gained weight, she isn't in denial of the numbers. But I think she thinks her clothing sizes are much smaller than they are

Would it be a horrible idea for me to buy clothes that I think would actually fit her? I've been right at guessing her size so far. Maybe for a Christmas present. Cute stuff I know she'll like

Let me know if I'm making a massive blunder or not
1 year

I don’t seem the harm in it, if she’s received bigger clothes already and especially around Christmas with gift giving just make sure it’s like you two time as opposed to the large gift exchange because it could be embarrassing for her in front of a lot of people to be basically told your clothes don’t fit.
1 year

I see no harm in this. You’re buying her actual/close to her size and not trying to buy her a size or two larger implying she isn’t fat enough.
1 year

Solarflare43:
So to start this post I want to say I love & support my girlfriend regardless of her size

When I met her she was on the thicker side, however she always wore clothes a few sizes too small. I'd have to help her zip up dresses that were clearly ripping at the seams or breaking

She eventually told me that she gained weight over covid and used to be quite petite. Now over the course of our relationship (1.5 years) she's put on about 30 additional pounds and definitely can't fit her old clothes

I know she wants to lose weight, and I support her. But she barely eats (like 1 small meal a day & energy drinks). I'm worried about her nutrition, and her weight isn't changing.

None of her clothes fit right & she keeps ordering clothes that are too small and being disappointed when they don't fit.

I've bought her a few things here & there that actually fit, so they've become her wardrobe staples

She knows she's gained weight, she isn't in denial of the numbers. But I think she thinks her clothing sizes are much smaller than they are

Would it be a horrible idea for me to buy clothes that I think would actually fit her? I've been right at guessing her size so far. Maybe for a Christmas present. Cute stuff I know she'll like

This sounds like a really sweet thing to do. You've already bought her clothes that fit her well that she likes, so I don't think you run the risk of her being offended or uncomfortable with it.

Maybe let her know you just wanted her to have a few more things that she could be comfortable in, and keep the tags and receipts and let her know she can return or exchange anything she doesn't like a d you wont mind if she does. Also reassure her that you love her and find her beautiful and sexy as she is.
1 year

Animus:
I see no harm in this. You’re buying her actual/close to her size and not trying to buy her a size or two larger implying she isn’t fat enough.

I'm not sure exactly what her size is, so there's a few pieces I did err on the larger size.

I don't want her to think I'm encouraging her to stay big, but her smaller clothes simply don't look comfortable & make her distressed

She's not losing weight as it is, considering she barely eats. I just want to make sure she has properly fitting stuff to wear at least for the foreseeable future
1 year

Solarflare43:

Seems fine to me. Get a few cute pieces that she'll like. She'll probably be touched.
1 year

Solarflare43:

Buy her the size she wants and then get a couple the size you know fit her and say it was a mistake. She will see how it fits
1 year

Bellyempire:
Buy her the size she wants and then get a couple the size you know fit her and say it was a mistake. She will see how it fits

I actually think this method is more likely to be upsetting to someone that isn't yet comfortable with their body being larger and who is trying to lose weight, especially if they are already feeling sensitive about it.

The "Hey, I got you some things I would love to see you in because I think you'll look cute," and finding your boyfriend got your size right because they fit well, feel comfortable and do make you look cute is a really sweet experience.

Whereas, "Hey, I got you some cute new clothes. These are your usual size, but I accidentally got you some a couple of sizes bigger. Only the bigger ones fit? Well good thing I got them then," is likely to be a much more uncomfortable or embarrassing experience because it will feel like her change in size is being pointed out and highlighted.

I might be a bit biased in this situation because my mother used to buy me clothes she knew were too small for me to try motivate me to lose weight long before I was accepting of my body and desire to be a big gal. It felt cruel, because at the time I was trying to lose weight but just wasn't able to get to the size she felt was appropriate. I've obviously moved past the trauma she caused me, but it took nearly 20 years. That sort of thing sticks with you.

People that aren't yet comfortable with their gains need to be treated a little more carefully and gently than those of us that are into being fat. Small actions that point out or emphasise their gains can be extremely embarrassing and even traumatising.
1 year

Yeah buying clothes of her "usual" size would mean buying mediums she hasn't fit in since 2019. She continued to wear mediums through 2021 when she was definitely in the upper Large / XL range

Now she's in the XL / 2XL range so buying mediums or even larges would be quite ridiculous. I'm going XL on tops, 2XL on bottoms and hoping for the best!

I'm also gonna have her sized for bras since she's worn the same 32C since 2019, it cuts into her terribly even with extenders

Even if she loses weight eventually I hope at least she'll be more comfortable in the meantime
1 year

Solarflare43:
Yeah buying clothes of her "usual" size would mean buying mediums she hasn't fit in since 2019. She continued to wear mediums through 2021 when she was definitely in the upper Large / XL range

Now she's in the XL / 2XL range so buying mediums or even larges would be quite ridiculous. I'm going XL on tops, 2XL on bottoms and hoping for the best!

I'm also gonna have her sized for bras since she's worn the same 32C since 2019, it cuts into her terribly even with extenders

Even if she loses weight eventually I hope at least she'll be more comfortable in the meantime

Definitely try get her sized for a new bra it will make a huge difference to her comfort.

Good luck! I hope she loves everything you bought her.
1 year
12   loading