General

Has anyone seen the movie, “the whale”?

Okay, and? This is a forum not a private message. Kind of interesting you are so insistent on silencing a woman lol. I also ended my end of the conversation. If you're going to attack my character (poorly!) I am certainly going to defend it.
1 year

LoraDayton:
Using the term "healthy sized" is actually fatphobic. Size is not determinant of health.

JustGetYouFatter:
I can use whatever terminology to define myself as I want. In my youth, I was healthy both mentally and physically. 150lbs later, I was both heavily depressed as well as pre-diabetic with fatty liver, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol.

Somebody woke up and ate nothing but lemons today.

It's kinda telling that your first response after being told "Don't say that because it's fat phobic" is to double down instead of asking for clarification.

It's even more ironic as the topic of this thread is about fatphobia.
1 year

I mean my point here is that I literally did not tell him not to say it. I can't and won't stop anybody from saying anything like that I was literally just trying to point out like hey when we use this language this is why it's harmful. But yeah the response to that without any command really says a lot!
1 year

Can someone explain to me what Fatphobia is? Because I feel like i have a slightly different view. (mostly concerning the phobia) I really wanna know what do you all think it is
1 year

Enas:
Can someone explain to me what Fatphobia is? Because I feel like i have a slightly different view. (mostly concerning the phobia) I really wanna know what do you all think it is

While the suffix "-phobia" is of Greek origin, it means more than "fear of" in the context of marginalized groups. It can also refer to feelings of hatred, revulsion, or simply perceiving someone as inferior just for being a part of that group.

While scores of people are terrified of fat (see diet culture for many different examples of this) most are not terrified of fat people. Instead, they view fat people as lesser for being fat. This can lead to a eide variety of negative perceptions and actions from not accommodating fat people's needs to fat shaming and more.
1 year

Okay, im trying to understand how it connects with groups, because, as you put it, it can be said that racism (let's say against black people specifically) is blackphobia, (and yes, i know you're a person of color, i just can't think a better example rn)
1 year

I thought the movie was brilliant. The set design was a particular standout for me - every small detail from the books on the shelves, to the at-home medical equipment, to the art on the walls was clearly placed with such intentionality.

In the case of the character of Charlie, he does use food to cope with his emotions, and some of the scenes drew an emotionally striking parallel to addicts doing anything for their next fix.

No number on the scale is spoken, but his best friend does tell him his blood pressure readings, and break the news that he’s suffering from heart failure.

Every character is coping with their own pain in different, not ideal ways - smoking, drinking, pushing others away. They are acted with the complexity and sensitivity they deserve.
1 year

Enas:
Okay, im trying to understand how it connects with groups, because, as you put it, it can be said that racism (let's say against black people specifically) is blackphobia, (and yes, i know you're a person of color, i just can't think a better example rn)

Why are you bringing race into this? This is a thread about fatphobia in a movie that has nothing to do with it?

But yes. It is.

And that is all I will say about this topic because it has nothing to do with the original topic, and frankly, this isn't the first time I've explained this to you.
1 year

Lol why am I not surprised this thread turned out exactly as it did?

I'm seeing it tomorrow, this better be good now 😀
1 year

Literally explaining how it is the opposite of good and actually very harmful to fat people (and not subjectively) so why am I not surprised that you come in here, add absolutely nothing of value to a thread, except to goad further the behavior you pretend to snide at, while also clearly making the statement "I'd rather harm more fat people for my own entertainment"

The movie is not good. It is vile. It is propaganda and uses fat people as an object. Your response makes it pretty clear that aligns with your values.
1 year
1234   loading