Story authors

Changing perspectives

I started writing out a draft of a new story idea this afternoon, and for some reason it just felt so awkward to me. Like I knew what I wanted to say, but it just wasn't flowing the way it should be - felt unnatural somehow.

I started writing it in third person omniscient because I thought it would be useful to have access to the thoughts and feelings of all the characters. But now I'm thinking it might work better as a first person narrative. Like maybe having one main character to whom we are privy to all his thoughts and feelings exclusively might make him/her/them more endearing somehow.

Any other writers have an experience like this? What are your thoughts?
1 year

Changing perspectives

At the moment, I'm writing a story that tells the story of three different people that live together. In my opinion, it is working out quite well. I do have a main character but I also describe the feelings of the other two. I think once you know how to express how they feel with words, you can really build different personalities in one story. That makes it really interesting in some cases. It makes it feel like the characters with known personalities are all main characters. Therefore, the whole story could revolve around ceveral characters.
1 year

Changing perspectives

My current story is first person, which I think works well enough. It’s very much a character study and I want the readers to pick up on differences or discrepancies in the things she says.

I had (accidentally) written some of the early chapters in 3rd person, and I thought that was fine too, and it would have been fine if I had kept it on the original track, but the scope changed and I prefer 1st person.
1 year

Changing perspectives

I usually seem to write omniscient 3rd. person narrator with lots of dialog and thought bubbles, without really thinking much about perspective. This seems to let me flow between a pseudo first person with one or more characters (which can be different people at different points in the story) and a narrator when necessary. When the dialog really gets going—whether thought bubbles in one character’s mind or an interaction between characters—the narrator falls out of the way, letting the characters speak and bringing a greater sense of immediacy to the story.
1 year