Lifestyle tips

What to tell friends and family when they comment on your weight/gain?

Ditzy:
Just be honest and tell them stop if they always comment about your weight.
Generally good friends won't say anything to purposely hurt you but may mention you have gained a few pounds.
I don't understand why people these days won't stand up for themselves.
You don't tell other people how to live or they have to be slim do you?
Of course you don't.
Sure I had people tell me I was getting fat I just didn't acknowledge their comments.

Munchies:
From what I can tell, it's always been like this. You got some people who have no problem stand up for themselves. You got some who struggle. That being said, most people online struggle with direct confrontation. So that's why is seems that people these days don't stand up for themselves.

Yeah, I tend to fall into the camp of wanting to be everyone's friend/a people pleaser so that probably plays into me trying to avoid conflict/confrontation.
1 year

Wifestuffer:
My wife gets this a lot. She's literally the most massive person in our entire extended family, and her mom and aunties are always concerned about her constantly growing weight.

She forgives them because they're kind people, care about her, and she's aware most women aren't the size of several women put together. She knows they're trying to be helpful, and they just assume a woman her size is unhappy with it.

So she laughs and waves them off-
"I'm getting so fat, right?"
"I'm going on a diet, I swear!"
"My husband is trying to get me in shape!"

Afterwards-
"I'm soooo hungry, can we stop and get some snacks?"

Some of those ways she brushes off comments seem like they're pretty solid ways to do it (albeit not all of them are exactly truthful lol).

I mean, one of my friends always comments on how he's surprised with how I'm not really fat with all the candy and snacks that I have lying around (I don't eat it all myself and I tend to share it). I figure if he or any of the people in our immediate circle brings it up or comments about me gaining, I could be like, "guess all that junk food is finally catching up to me" lol. I could probably also attribute some of it to picking up my wife's eating habits (she's 380lbs, so it wouldn't necessarily be surprising for me to get fat if I start eating more like she does. Plus, I could make some comments like, "yeah, I gained some weight, guess I'm slacking off a bit now that I'm a married man," and "I'm not too worried, I haven't gotten that big, I'm still smaller than my wife."
1 year

Just know you can't please everyone and its futile to even try.
Please yourself and your spouse because thats really all that matters in the long run.
1 year

Andromeda:
An easy way to solve that issue is to get so fat, friends and family just stop asking questions.

Sounds like you speak from experience? Lol
1 year

Wife and I are lucky, I guess. Neither of us has to deal with too much outward displeasure of our weight. I’ve put on about 40 pounds in the past five or six years. She’s about 330 these days, up about 50 since we met nine years ago, and quite comfy with it ;-)
1 year

Andromeda:
An easy way to solve that issue is to get so fat, friends and family just stop asking questions.

J8o8h8n:
Sounds like you speak from experience? Lol

Andromeda:
Definitely. I think the last comment I got was at our first family gathering post quarantine, during which I gained about 125 to 145 pounds (and I was already fat before that). We had all gotten COVID tests and gathered for an outside picnic. I was wearing a new sundress I bought to accommodate my gain, but it was a tiny bit snug and showed the whole outline of my navel when I sat. I think my brother teased that I had kept Instacart in business. I patted my tummy and said something like, "I might have put on a couple."

Currently, I'm so big, I think my family probably believes it's inevitable I will get fatter

H O T!
1 year

J8o8h8n:What kind of response would be good for acknowledging that I have gained weight, but not reveal just how intentional it is and put their mind at ease about health concerns?

1) Raise your shirt, exposing your belly.
2) Grab and squeeze your fat while making loud squealing/dinosaur noises.
(Repeat step 2, louder if necessary, until they stop talking.) smiley
1 year

How observant. Expect me to get even fatter too. Simply put, fast food tastes too fucking good, and I'm way too fucking hungry to diet.
1 year

Ditzy:
Just be honest and tell them stop if they always comment about your weight.
Generally good friends won't say anything to purposely hurt you but may mention you have gained a few pounds.
I don't understand why people these days won't stand up for themselves.
You don't tell other people how to live or they have to be slim do you?
Of course you don't.
Sure I had people tell me I was getting fat I just didn't acknowledge their comments.

Munchies:
From what I can tell, it's always been like this. You got some people who have no problem stand up for themselves. You got some who struggle. That being said, most people online struggle with direct confrontation. So that's why is seems that people these days don't stand up for themselves.

J8o8h8n:
Yeah, I tend to fall into the camp of wanting to be everyone's friend/a people pleaser so that probably plays into me trying to avoid conflict/confrontation.

It's an impossible challenge. What makes one person happy will upset someone else. And you'll just be miserable the whole time.
1 year

FatDave:
How observant. Expect me to get even fatter too. Simply put, fast food tastes too fucking good, and I'm way too fucking hungry to diet.

If you're gaining weight the fast food route, you gott supplement it with some healthy foods and maybe a multi-vitamin. You'll deprive yourself of important nutrients otherwise.

Plus, more calories are more calories.
1 year
123   loading