Story authors

Story feedback forum

Is there any appetite here for a thread to get into more in-depth constructive criticism of some of the stories here? I was reading the comments of a story today that had a critique and it seemed to me that this might be a more organized format for technical criticism like that.

Could also just take a book club format where we all read one short story a week or longer story a month?

Any interest?
1 year

Story feedback forum

Letters And Numbers:
Is there any appetite here for a thread to get into more in-depth constructive criticism of some of the stories here? I was reading the comments of a story today that had a critique and it seemed to me that this might be a more organized format for technical criticism like that.

Could also just take a book club format where we all read one short story a week or longer story a month?

Any interest?

Oodles of interest. I think it's something I find frustrating how, even on Ao3, the lack of feedback on a story drives me up the wall. I have no idea what does and doesn't work about a story I'm writing when I have 0 feedback, and rereading one's own story can get really, really difficult, (though reading it back aloud if able helps tremendously).

I think the niche of a genre we have has room for growth and would love to see the lines of these stories taken a bit more seriously. I see some here and there from the more prolific posters on sites like DA, (mcoddles, Borin23, Sir-Wales, Dr. Black-Jack, Giga-Ack, etc), but I find it difficult to dig through the sheer volume of shorts on there to find the stories that are around that have something to give more than a wank to a fetishist.
1 year

Story feedback forum

ValtheFA:
Oodles of interest. I think it's something I find frustrating how, even on Ao3, the lack of feedback on a story drives me up the wall. I have no idea what does and doesn't work about a story I'm writing when I have 0 feedback, and rereading one's own story can get really, really difficult, (though reading it back aloud if able helps tremendously).

I think the niche of a genre we have has room for growth and would love to see the lines of these stories taken a bit more seriously. I see some here and there from the more prolific posters on sites like DA, (mcoddles, Borin23, Sir-Wales, Dr. Black-Jack, Giga-Ack, etc), but I find it difficult to dig through the sheer volume of shorts on there to find the stories that are around that have something to give more than a wank to a fetishist.

Hey, there's interest!

I'm with you, and there are some incredible authors here that are writing serious stuff! And a lot of people who are writing amazing material who might love to get more structured feedback to improve. I think there are two issues.

1) Unless someone has taken a class or been in creative writing circles, a lot of people don't know how to critique a story and it's intimidating. It's a learned skill. I think there could be some focus on guidelines and techniques for creative criticism. I've found a few good essays and guides that could be shared.

2) People have an even harder time talking about kink content. There are tons of lurkers who I'm sure have great opinions, but critiquing someone's erotica story is kind of like putting your own kinks under the spotlight (even though we may all generally have the same kinks). This is a tougher problem to solve, but maybe if the critique focuses on structural storytelling issues it would make it easier to participate.

Does that make sense?
1 year

Story feedback forum

Letters And Numbers:
Hey, there's interest!

I'm with you, and there are some incredible authors here that are writing serious stuff! And a lot of people who are writing amazing material who might love to get more structured feedback to improve. I think there are two issues.

1) Unless someone has taken a class or been in creative writing circles, a lot of people don't know how to critique a story and it's intimidating. It's a learned skill. I think there could be some focus on guidelines and techniques for creative criticism. I've found a few good essays and guides that could be shared.

2) People have an even harder time talking about kink content. There are tons of lurkers who I'm sure have great opinions, but critiquing someone's erotica story is kind of like putting your own kinks under the spotlight (even though we may all generally have the same kinks). This is a tougher problem to solve, but maybe if the critique focuses on structural storytelling issues it would make it easier to participate.

Does that make sense?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense putting it into perspective. The pool is already super shallow as is with it being a particular kink, let alone deriving from that pool people genre savvy enough and willing to articulate their ideas online. I think where I was coming from was that people were already writing on forums about their kinks, is the next step so much?

There is a great bunch of writing peeps on Discord and DA called wg squared and it really helped to find a community that does overlap it. I think it might be a nice place to peruse and join if you are looking for other writing friends in this community, we even have monthly writing contests around random topics and such that this post seems to be looking for. This is the link to the DA page, with Discord being the same name and invite stuff in the group. www.deviantart.com/groups/wg-squared/deviations
1 year

Story feedback forum

Letters And Numbers:
Hey, there's interest!

Does that make sense?

ValtheFA:
Yeah, that makes a lot of sense putting it into perspective. The pool is already super shallow as is with it being a particular kink, let alone deriving from that pool people genre savvy enough and willing to articulate their ideas online. I think where I was coming from was that people were already writing on forums about their kinks, is the next step so much?

There is a great bunch of writing peeps on Discord and DA called wg squared and it really helped to find a community that does overlap it. I think it might be a nice place to peruse and join if you are looking for other writing friends in this community, we even have monthly writing contests around random topics and such that this post seems to be looking for. This is the link to the DA page, with Discord being the same name and invite stuff in the group. ]www.deviantart.com/groups/wg-squared/deviations

I’ll definitely check that out! I think we could put together a little group here, too, that could do some constructive criticism or help teach people how to give constructive feedback.
1 year

Story feedback forum

Letters And Numbers:
I’ll definitely check that out! I think we could put together a little group here, too, that could do some constructive criticism or help teach people how to give constructive feedback.

I would be game! I just had someone in my own thread post some great stuff, which made me consider we have more writers on here than last year, (which was fairly dead from what I saw).

I think if we can come together and get the admin on board, we can make up an article or even a stickied thread to post up to help aspiring kink writers take the plunge with advice and pointers to help them out and help them grow (heh) into better writers!
1 year

Story feedback forum

I am interested and I might help. Me and my partner have an education in language and literature.
In this section you can focus on technical things like how you tell stories, from what perspective, how you can use real situations and so on.
Using different styles and contrasts between styles can be very useful.
You might need translations. There are inspiring examples in other languages than English.
12 months

Story feedback forum

I’m very interested. I’m not sure how to start, but I would happily volunteer my book if we need a volunteer. I have 14 chapters left to post on here, or I can send it as a pdf to anyone in the “book club”. Or if my book is too long, I’m sure there’s another one we could start with.

Just as a resource, this isn’t bad: www.nownovel.com/blog/constructive-writing-feedback/

Some of it seems basic, but it’s all good to keep in mind.
12 months

Story feedback forum

Letters And Numbers:

Any interest?

This looks interesting in theory. The downside, however, is that most fetish stories aren't good.

I'm not talking about the kink aspect of it. I believe that you can write about any subject matter and make it good. I'm talking about the hordes of poorly written stories on FF, DA, Dimensions, etc.
12 months

Story feedback forum

Letters And Numbers:

Any interest?

Munchies:
This looks interesting in theory. The downside, however, is that most fetish stories aren't good.

I'm not talking about the kink aspect of it. I believe that you can write about any subject matter and make it good. I'm talking about the hordes of poorly written stories on FF, DA, Dimensions, etc.

So there are the hordes for sure, but there are also some really great writers as well (here, and on the other sites) who choose to *also* write erotica instead of *only* writing it. Some of those stories could be more fun to read critically. And there are also authors who honestly might want to improve, even if all they want to do is write a better sexy story?
12 months
123   loading