Thank you Munchies
1 year

Pre-diabetic and gaining

Cactusrager:
Thank you Munchies

1 year

Pre-diabetic and gaining

2seatsalways:
Looking for solutions on how to have my partner still be able to gain, as healthy as possible, while pre-diabetic. If this brings her A1C down that's even better.
I know it's doable, but looking for anyone who has been in this scenario before and have anything that worked for them.

Munchies:
It's best to gain slower and avoid a carb/sugar based gain. Try to focus on healthy, high fat foods like avocados, nuts, and high fat fish.

2seatsalways:
I swear I saw you type this before. Thank you for responding. I read you studied biology? So she should limit soda and have like treat days? A day of sweets and sugar maybe once a week?
Would gain shakes be ok?

Munchies:
I did study biology. I'm also a diabetic and an ex-gainer. So I have a combination of study and experience under my belt. And I often repeat my advice because people often ask the same questions.

Definitely limit soda. The average can of soda has a staggeringly high amount of sugar. As for when to have sweets, I'll let you guys figure that out. Having a cheat day is fine, but even then, don't overdo it.

For me, I have sweets any day I want them, but not that many. For example, I wanted chocolate yesterday, so I grabbed a back of semi-sweet chocolate chips and got a handful. I took my time to savor it and I was happy.

Weight gain shakes are fine. However, don't make them too sweet, and make sure she limits the rest of her sugar intake for the rest of the day. It's also a good idea not to make too much. A lot of people forget that when you increase your calories, you also increase everything else.

For example, if a serving size of something has 10 g of sugar, and you eat three servings, you just had 30g of sugar. If you aren't reading the nutrition label now, I advise you to start.

I am also diabetic, but I have realized that eating three servings of a food with 10 grams of sugar per 100 grams is not the same as eating 1 serving of 30 grams of sugar per 100 grams. It gives the feeling that the higher the concentration of sugar per 100 grams it rises more, it has happened to me
11 months

Pre-diabetic and gaining

2seatsalways:
Looking for solutions on how to have my partner still be able to gain, as healthy as possible, while pre-diabetic. If this brings her A1C down that's even better.
I know it's doable, but looking for anyone who has been in this scenario before and have anything that worked for them.

Munchies:
It's best to gain slower and avoid a carb/sugar based gain. Try to focus on healthy, high fat foods like avocados, nuts, and high fat fish.

2seatsalways:
I swear I saw you type this before. Thank you for responding. I read you studied biology? So she should limit soda and have like treat days? A day of sweets and sugar maybe once a week?
Would gain shakes be ok?

Munchies:
I did study biology. I'm also a diabetic and an ex-gainer. So I have a combination of study and experience under my belt. And I often repeat my advice because people often ask the same questions.

Definitely limit soda. The average can of soda has a staggeringly high amount of sugar. As for when to have sweets, I'll let you guys figure that out. Having a cheat day is fine, but even then, don't overdo it.

For me, I have sweets any day I want them, but not that many. For example, I wanted chocolate yesterday, so I grabbed a back of semi-sweet chocolate chips and got a handful. I took my time to savor it and I was happy.

Weight gain shakes are fine. However, don't make them too sweet, and make sure she limits the rest of her sugar intake for the rest of the day. It's also a good idea not to make too much. A lot of people forget that when you increase your calories, you also increase everything else.

For example, if a serving size of something has 10 g of sugar, and you eat three servings, you just had 30g of sugar. If you aren't reading the nutrition label now, I advise you to start.

Hozico0:
I am also diabetic, but I have realized that eating three servings of a food with 10 grams of sugar per 100 grams is not the same as eating 1 serving of 30 grams of sugar per 100 grams. It gives the feeling that the higher the concentration of sugar per 100 grams it rises more, it has happened to me

It may have a lower concentration, but that still adds up. I know a lot of diabetics who will gorge themselves on low sugar foods and get confused when they feel like crap.
11 months

Pre-diabetic and gaining

2seatsalways:

Munchies:

2seatsalways:
Would gain shakes be ok?

Munchies:

Hozico0:

Munchies:
It may have a lower concentration, but that still adds up. I know a lot of diabetics who will gorge themselves on low sugar foods and get confused when they feel like crap.

It goes up less than 30, I understand that if it goes up the same it is because the pancreas no longer works. My pancreas generates insulin but it is difficult for it to use it, and I have reached a glycosylated hemoglobin level of 10, now I am at 6.
I've also noticed that eating whole wheat bread in the freezer raises sugar less.
11 months

Pre-diabetic and gaining

2seatsalways:

Munchies:

2seatsalways:
Would gain shakes be ok?

Munchies:

Hozico0:

Munchies:

Hozico0:
It goes up less than 30, I understand that if it goes up the same it is because the pancreas no longer works. My pancreas generates insulin but it is difficult for it to use it, and I have reached a glycosylated hemoglobin level of 10, now I am at 6.
I've also noticed that eating whole wheat bread in the freezer raises sugar less.

I do believe we are talking apples and oranges.

You are talking about a scenario in which you have an increased but still reasonable amount of sugar.

I am talking about the people who think "This is only 10 grams of sugar. Let me eat my bodyweight in this food."
11 months

Pre-diabetic and gaining

2seatsalways:

Munchies:

2seatsalways:
Would gain shakes be ok?

Munchies:

Hozico0:

Munchies:

Hozico0:

Munchies:
I do believe we are talking apples and oranges.

You are talking about a scenario in which you have an increased but still reasonable amount of sugar.

I am talking about the people who think "This is only 10 grams of sugar. Let me eat my bodyweight in this food."

Ok, so you have to determine the type of person you are:
Do you gain weight because you like to eat or do you eat because you like to gain weight?
For the first people, gym, for the second diet adapted to your body.
For me, the body is a temple, which I aspire to expand with good foundations and reforms. I have no problem giving up any food, but I am not willing to give up expanding my temple.

I start from the basis that people are responsible with their health, and eat what their health allows
11 months

Pre-diabetic and gaining

Hozico0:
Do you gain weight because you like to eat or do you eat because you like to gain weight?
For me, the body is a temple, which I aspire to expand with good foundations and reforms. I have no problem giving up any food, but I am not willing to give up expanding my temple.

I start from the basis that people are responsible with their health, and eat what their health allows

I'm not talking about that at all. There are people in this world (a lot of people, unfortunately) who think that if they eat something low in sugar, they won't have to worry about their blood sugar spiking no matter how much they eat.
11 months

Pre-diabetic and gaining

Hozico0:

Munchies:
I'm not talking about that at all. There are people in this world (a lot of people, unfortunately) who think that if they eat something low in sugar, they won't have to worry about their blood sugar spiking no matter how much they eat.

The ideal would be to know how much sugar rises in your body, based on the low amount of sugar you eat, and not through punctures. Only in this way could an approximate amount be calculated based on the concentration of the food per 100 gm

As today it is impossible to be able to calculate it live 24 hours without punctures. You have to do it based on trial and error.

For example, if I eat a food with 10 gm of sugar, perhaps I can only eat up to 4 servings (and not 3), because it would be equivalent to a food with 30 gm of sugar per 100 grams.

I insist, we must not forget the temperature of the food, I have verified that a frozen food (bread for example) lowers sugar and carbohydrates if you freeze it, with which one would have more room to eat more.
Possibly there are more factors that today I do not know that influence the values ​​of sugar in food
11 months

Pre-diabetic and gaining

Hozico0:

Munchies:

Hozico0:
The ideal would be to know how much sugar rises in your body, based on the low amount of sugar you eat, and not through punctures. Only in this way could an approximate amount be calculated based on the concentration of the food per 100 gm

As today it is impossible to be able to calculate it live 24 hours without punctures. You have to do it based on trial and error.

For example, if I eat a food with 10 gm of sugar, perhaps I can only eat up to 4 servings (and not 3), because it would be equivalent to a food with 30 gm of sugar per 100 grams.

I insist, we must not forget the temperature of the food, I have verified that a frozen food (bread for example) lowers sugar and carbohydrates if you freeze it, with which one would have more room to eat more.
Possibly there are more factors that today I do not know that influence the values ​​of sugar in food

Are ... are you being deliberately obtuse?

What I am talking about is on par with the people allergic to shellfish who think removing the shell will prevent them from having an allergic reaction.

This has nothing to do with determining why you eat the way you do. This is about people eating foods based on vibes and not having a basic understanding of how nutrition works.
11 months
123   loading