Lifestyle tips

Transitioning from vegetarian to omnivore

My ex-girlfriend went from vegan to omnivore. I first introduced fish to the diet, like salmon or tuna, sushi she really liked and it didn't make her feel so guilty about going back to eating meat. After two weeks of eating fish, she stopped her vitamin supplement and started eating chicken. Chicken is a meat that is not as fatty or as difficult to digest as beef or pork. From then on, she ate like anyone else and was no longer afraid of getting sick from eating meat.

Finally, I wanted to tell you that she always bought in local butcher shops, not in big supermarkets. In the butcher's shops you can ask them to cut the meat to your liking and it will probably be of much better quality than in the supermarket. In addition to the fact that supermarkets throw away kilos of meat that they have in surplus every day, thus contributing to wasting the lives of the animals.

This is my experience, I hope it helps you.
1 year

Smashmellow:
Hi,
I wanted to ask if anyone ever transitioned from a vegetarian diet to an omnivore one. I'd need some piece of advice on how to take this step, how body might react to meat and how I may feel from a physical point of view. If you also know local farmers/meat shops selling ethically approved products, let me know!

My wife went from vege to pescatarian to omnivore over the year up to and the first trimester of her pregnancy with our first child.
Amino acid availability, collagen production and her anemic traits all faded away.

What was noticeable at first was the calorie drop and the initial weight loss. This was mostly as a vegetarian diet get a large amount of its fats directly from dairy fats and egg yolks. There is no brown fat found in a vege diet.
It took time to get used to fats being connected to proteins and hence she felt fuller quicker resulting in a drop in her daily calorie intake

Further to this her mood improved due to availability of epa and dha and aminos.

Once she slipped in to the routine of choosing dishes she liked, her eating capacity increased dramatically over 6 months and that brought back the gains.

Her visceral fat decreased as in general her short carb consumption has decreased as a proportion of her meals and her “self medication” (drinking a little too much, binging on chocolates) has decreased due to the well documented improvement in mood most people get from a varied diet due to bioavailability of B12 and to a lesser extent B6.

All in all she has stuck with an omnivorous diet and a balanced one at that. Despite being very overweight endocrine tests all come back very comfortably in the normal range and she is heavier for her size due to higher muscle density that she would likely have on a lower animal protein diet. I like the feel of her weight and I like that she doesn’t get much pain or movement restriction from being a big woman.

All that said, I come from a family of two graduate nutritionists both of whom were on their national sports teams. My first wife was a biochemist from Imperial College London and both her and my parents would wax lyrical about the issues of broad stretching diet advice saying that the biome affects bioavailability as much as intake does and that most issues faced with vegan diets can be negated through careful monitoring of dietary intake.
1 year

I was vegetarian from around 16 to around 30ish. I try to be careful about where I buy meat if I ever buy it as I still eat a lot of tofu, tempeh, seitan, etc. I would say research places in your area and teach yourself about animal labeling, etc. I try to buy from small family farms with certified humane stamps on packaging but tbh I'm still very conflicted. I don't think my body reacted negatively to change but go slow and everyone's different.
1 year

I ha a;ways been one to enjoy meat, however after reading a heart health issue in Consumer's Reports that outlined how many antibiotics are fed to beef, pork and chicken in addition to growth hormones and other chemicals, I decided to dial the consumption back. Initially I thought I'd try it for a week, then two, which morphed to a month. It's been seven years now. Not being perfect, I enjoy turkey at Thanksgiving and once a year, pastrami.
1 year