Fat experiences

Sleep apnea and other sleep related illnesses.

How many of you or your significant other have sleep apnea or excessively snore?

Apparently fat people are more likely to be in vehicle crashes due to poor sleep/drowsiness behind the wheel - which imo is dumb af because no one would ever call me “sleepy” - nor would they ever say I’d fall asleep behind the wheel even if I was up for 24+ hours
1 year

I didn't realize I needed a cpap until I almost fell asleep at the wheel on a 15 min drive home due to sleep apnea and getting that machine changed my life.
1 year

Yeah from what it sounds like people who need it really get good sleep after using it, and swear by them.. it’s just a weird thing that I present no symptoms of sleep apnea and they want me to take a sleep test just because I’m obese #Fatphobia I understand if like you have a problem and are sleepy but like I drive for work alot and I never get sleepy…
1 year

I've used a cpap machine for about 10 years. My heart was stopping briefly many times an hour so it was probably a lifesaving device for me. I was a heavy snorer by the way. Finding the right mask was the biggest problem for me. I sleep much better now.
1 year

I have used a Cpap for about 10 years and was told due to being so overweight for many years.
9 months

Morbidly A Beast:
How many of you or your significant other have sleep apnea or excessively snore?

Apparently fat people are more likely to be in vehicle crashes due to poor sleep/drowsiness behind the wheel - which imo is dumb af because no one would ever call me “sleepy” - nor would they ever say I’d fall asleep behind the wheel even if I was up for 24+ hours

I also had a sleep apnea test. I woke up and thought I’ d wasted 2K the test had cost. I felt fine and we left on vacation the following day. Upon our return, there were many messages on our VM, urgently requesting a return call. I knew I’d passed the test as I’d felt well. Imagine my surprise when I was informed that I had not passed the test! Furthermore, I had stopped breathing 70x in 5 hours of sleep. I couldn’t believe it, requesting they double check the name, date, etc. I went into a CPAP clinic and was kitted out that same day. Who strongly suspected the diagnoisis? My EYE doctor! He felt I had “floppy eyelid syndrome” were primarily women 300+ lbs. who slept improperly face down, unintentionally forcing the eye open during sleep. Significant mucus develops to keep the eye moist and doesn’t stop. My eyes cleared after a month of sleeping on my back, wearing an eye shield, CPAP on. A month later I was pregnant after trying for four years! Wearing my CPAP through my entire pregnancy, we had a healthy 8lb. 7oz. baby boy. Wearing my CPAP consistently changed my life for the better!

Dee aka SSBBW2spoilnow
9 months

I have very bad snoring and always did, I have always been big but when I started university I really started putting in weight. I continued to gain until I weighed nearly 19 stone after uni and when I started working, because of my poor diet I often had heartburn and was also a heavy smoker. I snored even more and started falling asleep in meetings and even in lessons at the school I worked in . The smoking also caused me to have coughing fits in the early morning especially when it was cold. I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea and shortly after type two diabetes and a high resting pulse following a couple of car accidents and suffering pins and needles in my arms and legs. The CPAP made a big difference. I am much lighter now having lost 6 stone in weight.The diabetes although still present is certainly controlled now. My diet is better but I still remain a couple of stone overweight. I am perfectly happy to be overweight and still have a desire to become fatter but I know my health was suffering. I have largely quit cigarettes apart from one in the early mornings. I have since become quite hooked on vaping 😄
9 months

I appearantly snore heavily and speak constantly in my sleep though I am of a regular weight. That said reading a few of the comments about the drowsiness and whatnot does bring up a few red flags given I regularly fall asleep during the day and have had some scares during driving (facedown sleeper too)
Mayhaps the things you learn on the fa forums.
9 months

I'm on a CPAP too and finally feel better after years of not knowing what was causing my fatigue. Happy to learn that I can stay fat and still sleep well!
9 months