Lifestyle tips

Finding a balance between fitness and gaining.

After a hiatus, I've been struggling with the contradictory characteristics of wanting to remain extremely athletic (in my abilities)
while also getting fatter.

It does not feel very common on this website; understandably so it feels almost impossible in some ways to balance... but I wanted to know if there's anyone on here that would like to share/discuss tips on how they handle this, if you're going through something similar, or if you're an athletic fat person.
1 year

Blackjackandberries:
After a hiatus, I've been struggling with the contradictory characteristics of wanting to remain extremely athletic (in my abilities)

It does not feel very common on this website; understandably so it feels almost impossible in some ways to balance... but I wanted to know if there's anyone on here that would like to share/discuss tips on how they handle this, if you're going through something similar, or if you're an athletic fat person.

I have those same wants for myself. Below is my response to your question. I take no pride in any of this.

Some stats-
Lean weight170-175lb
currently have around 40lb of fat
Still walk up stairs 3 at a time.
About 2 weeks ago, I cut down a 1ft thick ash tree trunk with nothing but muscle-powered tools. No notabe endurance change from 10 years ago.
Most of my bodyfat goes to my sides and lower body, which is advantageous for mobility.

The foundation of my stategy is to only consume what I see as the healthiest foods available to me, in massive caloric quantities, spread throughout the day. My choice to end gaining would be if walking up stairs 3 at a time stops being a capability.
1 year

RobbyP:
The foundation of my stategy is to only consume what I see as the healthiest foods available to me, in massive caloric quantities, spread throughout the day. My choice to end gaining would be if walking up stairs 3 at a time stops being a capability.

I also do that thing where I try to guage if I'm getting too big by how difficult its getting to perform athletically, but some weird part of me wants to continue to become visibly very fat but still somehow be able to do things I could do back when I had abs.

Also those eating habits are goals.
1 year

You may find helpful mental and body activities on the Isha USA website- colloquially, they'd be called guided yoga and guided meditations.
1 year

A similar-knee-angled exercise to 3-stair/step walking is the deep lunge. It's all about the angle. www.verywellhealth.com/are-squats-bad-for-knees-5094721
1 year

That is, similar to the picture in the above article, not the instruction of "keep the knee at a right angle". Right angle squats have a grinding sensation for me in the knee, whereas highly bent, yet highly risen knees have a pulling sensation. It's been two years since I made 3-stair walking a standard practice. A bit of pain in the hamstrings in year 1, but 1 day of rest took care of it. Year 2, no accumulated pain, getting faster at it even with the added weight. A diet of almost entirely anti-inflammatory foods probably helps also.
1 year

RobbyP:
That is, similar to the picture in the above article, not the instruction of "keep the knee at a right angle". Right angle squats have a grinding sensation for me in the knee, whereas highly bent, yet highly risen knees have a pulling sensation. It's been two years since I made 3-stair walking a standard practice. A bit of pain in the hamstrings in year 1, but 1 day of rest took care of it. Year 2, no accumulated pain, getting faster at it even with the added weight. A diet of almost entirely anti-inflammatory foods probably helps also.

I literally have noticed increased joint and leg pain with my weight gain, trying to impliment more stretching to alieviate pain, but I will absolutely consider more anti inflamitory foods, this was all super interesting, thank you!
1 year

RobbyP:

Blackjackandberries:
I literally have noticed increased joint and leg pain with my weight gain, trying to impliment more stretching to alieviate pain, but I will absolutely consider more anti inflamitory foods, this was all super interesting, thank you!

You're welcome!
1 year

Blackjackandberries:

I have gained thirty pounds since retiring from the military reserves ten years ago. I run every day, even though I have been actively though causally gaining. As I have gained I've worked to gain five or so pounds, I get used to running at this weight. My last gain from 230 lbs. to 235 lbs. I transitioned from using an elliptical in the winter to running on the street. The first day I got winded and had to walk twice over a mile and a half route. The second day I was fine, not needing to rest/walk at all. This has worked for me as I gain. I hope this helps.
12 months

For me, I want to be as healthy as possible so I can get as fat as possible, if that makes sense. It's not so much about being able to do stuff (although I certainly do), it's more about how big I can realistically get.

The healthier I am, the longer it'll be before I have to stop gaining, because I plan of getting pretty big. I'm not doing great at it yet, but I'm try to learn more about how to gain fat and be healthy.

I do worry that it's not a particularly "sexy" mindset though. 😅😅
11 months
12   loading