Story authors

Writing tips - a thread

Letters And Numbers:
This is a wonderful thread. Thank you to @Munchies for making it! And for all the great contributions!

Happy to help
11 months

Writing tips - a thread

LoraDayton:

2. Numbers don't really mean anything in the imagination when describing body changes or food volume. Unless there is a plot element specific to it, you don't need numbers. It will free you, I promise.

Letters And Numbers:
I agree with this completely, but I will also say that numbers are *extremely* popular. I get more positive feedback from weighing segments than from almost anything else.

So while I don’t just write to please the reader (anyone who has read my current story can attest to that), sometimes it’s nice to give people what they want, too! But all things in proper moderation.

Munchies:
My take on the numbers is that they can be used effectively, but most people in the community do not know how. To be clear, this issue isn't FF-specific. I see it in a lot of fetish spaces.

It's essentially a case of "show, don't tell." It's the difference between saying, "It's 32 F/0 C outside," versus "The biting cold froze the puddle of water." One tells you what's happening, while the other immerses you in the experience.

That said, I believe there is a time and place for numbers. For example, maybe you're writing a fit-to-fat story where the protagonist is coming to terms with their weight. Since her weight is integral to the plot, you could include that when it moves the plot forward.

I agree completely! 100%. But I think in this particular community, some readers *really* like numbers. It doesn’t make the story stronger as a story, but as fan service people like it. So it’s a choice the author has to make. I’m trying to take numbers out of my current story because that’s not the story I want to tell, but I can’t deny that it’s popular.
11 months

Writing tips - a thread

LoraDayton:

2. Numbers don't really mean anything in the imagination when describing body changes or food volume. Unless there is a plot element specific to it, you don't need numbers. It will free you, I promise.

Letters And Numbers:
I agree with this completely, but I will also say that numbers are *extremely* popular. I get more positive feedback from weighing segments than from almost anything else.

So while I don’t just write to please the reader (anyone who has read my current story can attest to that), sometimes it’s nice to give people what they want, too! But all things in proper moderation.

Munchies:
My take on the numbers is that they can be used effectively, but most people in the community do not know how. To be clear, this issue isn't FF-specific. I see it in a lot of fetish spaces.

It's essentially a case of "show, don't tell." It's the difference between saying, "It's 32 F/0 C outside," versus "The biting cold froze the puddle of water." One tells you what's happening, while the other immerses you in the experience.

That said, I believe there is a time and place for numbers. For example, maybe you're writing a fit-to-fat story where the protagonist is coming to terms with their weight. Since her weight is integral to the plot, you could include that when it moves the plot forward.

Letters And Numbers:
I agree completely! 100%. But I think in this particular community, some readers *really* like numbers. It doesn’t make the story stronger as a story, but as fan service people like it. So it’s a choice the author has to make. I’m trying to take numbers out of my current story because that’s not the story I want to tell, but I can’t deny that it’s popular.

Oh, it certainly is. I do want to make some room for numbers because there is a kink aspect to it all. At the same time, however, a lot of people struggle to conceptualize it.

How many times have you seen a story where a female character is 5'2", 120 lbs, and fat? How many times have you seen a story where a B cup is "busty" or a D is "small"? And yet, when you scroll down to the comments, readers rave about the "superb" descriptions.

The truth is that no matter what you envision in your stories, your reader will envision something else. Your best option is to gently nudge them in the right direction trying to force them to see what you see.
11 months

Writing tips - a thread

I've included some excerpts from my story The Queen Mother here on FF to show that you don't need to include measurements to do a character description justice.

Queen Ralia stands in the mirror unclothed as she looks at her naked form. Since her decree, it will probably be the last time she sees herself in this state. Her milk chocolate skin stretches over her slender yet well muscled body. There is hardly a bit of fat on her at all. She rubs her hands over her scalp and notes how stubble is forming over her normally shorn head.

Queen Ralia looks down at her stomach once they leave. Her lean abs are stretched over her bloated stomach. She can make out a few ridges of muscle. She mourns that soon no one will be able to make out any muscle. Her plan is to stuff herself nearly non-stop; it won't be long until her stomach will settle on her thighs.

At three months pregnant, Queen Ralia can safely say she is fat. Everything on her feels heavy. Her breasts and belly put a strain on her back. If it wasn't for her equally large backside, she'd probably topple over. Her giant thighs thud and slap against each other to the point that they rub each other raw. She's taken to wearing bands, creams, and powders all the time. The only time they don't touch is when she spreads them to make room for her belly. She isn't sure just how heavy she is, but she'll find out today at the healer.

The maids dress her in a patterned bra with a sheer cover-up piece. Well, perhaps "cover-up" is a misnomer. Not only is everything see-through, but also it just covers her flabby arms, breasts, and backside. Her wobbling middle is exposed sicking out with a slight hang.
11 months

Writing tips - a thread

@ Letters and Numbers
As You well know I like some Numbers. There can be too many as evidenced in my own amateurish stories. I can also handle some tension and can wait. But eventually I want realistic numbers to follow. I have read probably 2 to 3 thousand stories since before I joined This site 15 years ago going back to Dimensions Weight Board. An occasional weigh in brings relief to the anticipation and helps with the mental imagery. Still digging What a long sleep
11 months

Writing tips - a thread

LoraDayton:

Letters And Numbers:

Munchies:

Letters And Numbers:

Munchies:
Oh, it certainly is. I do want to make some room for numbers because there is a kink aspect to it all. At the same time, however, a lot of people struggle to conceptualize it.

How many times have you seen a story where a female character is 5'2", 120 lbs, and fat? How many times have you seen a story where a B cup is "busty" or a D is "small"? And yet, when you scroll down to the comments, readers rave about the "superb" descriptions.

The truth is that no matter what you envision in your stories, your reader will envision something else. Your best option is to gently nudge them in the right direction trying to force them to see what you see.

Again, no disagreement at all, and the unprompted "Becky was a drop dead gorgeous 120 pound cheerleader with gargantuan C cup melons and it was Tuesday" is not the best start to a short story. A character in a weight gain story stepping on a scale and finding out their weight as part of the plot is different, but can still be done well or poorly. My current story (thanks Jazzman for the mention!) originally started with a weighing scene. It wasn't bad, and it set up some of the plot, but I re-wrote it because it just felt contrived. I didn't want that book to start that way. There are other scenes in the book that involve weights, and I think some of them are more or less successful for all the reasons you talked about. I don't know if any of them will make it to the final draft, but some probably will because at the end of the day it's reluctantly a weight gain story and some of the gains and losses are important to the plot.

But, it also depends on what the story is trying to be. I don't think there's anything wrong with a story that is first and foremost trying to be erotic or appeal to a fetish audience, but it should be well done. For the omniscient narrator to know and comment on someone's weight unprompted is one thing, for them to observe someone at the gym weighing themselves is better, and there are even more creative ways to work it in! I wrote a story where a character's weight is tracked by the number of their hotel room. Redmama writes great stories with pregnant leads, and when you're pregnant you get weighed often. So it's a true part of the plot, but also tickles that part of the brain for people who dig numbers.

And then it goes back to what you said about making numbers meaningful and realistic and understanding the human body. More than anything, that's the most important part.
11 months

Writing tips - a thread

STORY CRAFTING - PART II

I love crafting settings - it's my favorite thing behind character creations. When written well, the setting anchors the characters and shapes the narrative. There's no such thing as a lousy setting - just bad execution.

I think there are two main challenges to writing settings effectively: telling instead of showing and struggling to keep up with the details.

I've included some links with tips on effective worldbuilding as well as some helpful tools:

inkarnate.com/
inkarnate.com/
inkarnate.com/
11 months

Writing tips - a thread

Munchies:
STORY CRAFTING - PART II

I love crafting settings - it's my favorite thing behind character creations. When written well, the setting anchors the characters and shapes the narrative. There's no such thing as a lousy setting - just bad execution.

I think there are two main challenges to writing settings effectively: telling instead of showing and struggling to keep up with the details.

I've included some links with tips on effective worldbuilding as well as some helpful tools:

inkarnate.com/
inkarnate.com/
inkarnate.com/

Those first two look like amazing tools, campfire especially. I need to play with that! And I’m realizing I probably need a David Mamet masterclass, too.

Thank you for the effort in this thread!
11 months

Writing tips - a thread

STORY CRAFTING - PART III

Every story you read or write has a central message or theme to convey. Many of you might say, "I don't have a message. I'm just writing about sexy fat people getting fatter." But even the idea "getting fat is sexy" is a message.

Understanding your story's theme (or themes) goes a long way toward cohesion. There is such a thing as doing too much. At the same time, don't be afraid to let things change. Stories can take on a life of their own. It's not unusual to start off with one idea, and it develops into something else.

As always, I've posted links for your convenience:

www.grammarly.com/blog/themes/

10 months

Writing tips - a thread

Welcome back, folks. I took a break from posting because I wanted my numbers to go down a little bit. I have not forgotten about this thread.

STORY CRAFTING - PART III

Tone

If a picture is worth a thousand words, then tone is the color and the lighting. Depending on the tone, a story with the same events could be a tragedy, a comedy, or anything else you could think of.

For example, a story about woman who gains a lot of weight in college can either be a horrifying experience or a liberating one. It all comes down to how you approach things.

As always, here are some helpful links.

writers.com/what-is-tone-in-literature

10 months
123   loading