Lifestyle tips

Struggling with regular eating

LoraDayton:
Not everyone has an appetite. There are plenty of people who simply don't enjoy eating or forget to. However it may be worth looking into another cause such as neurodivergence—people with ADHD for example often struggle with remembering to eat. You may also have nutritional deficiencies that suppress your appetite.

Munchies' tips above are also useful. Make do with what you've got. Make sure you are healthy first, then worry about gain. If you decide to consult with a professional, bear in mind that a "nutritionist" is not the same as a dietician. The latter are registered, certified professionals.

As someone with ADHD how do i bypass it
8 months

LoraDayton:
Not everyone has an appetite. There are plenty of people who simply don't enjoy eating or forget to. However it may be worth looking into another cause such as neurodivergence—people with ADHD for example often struggle with remembering to eat. You may also have nutritional deficiencies that suppress your appetite.

Munchies' tips above are also useful. Make do with what you've got. Make sure you are healthy first, then worry about gain. If you decide to consult with a professional, bear in mind that a "nutritionist" is not the same as a dietician. The latter are registered, certified professionals.

LydiaFatOttter:

Honestly? It depends. What works for one person with ADHD will not always work for another. It's easier if you have someone to remind you or put food in front of you. But if it's just you, you'll have to play around with some things.

Mind you, this is based on what I've experienced interacting with friends and family with ADHD. I just have autism, so I can only speak on it so much.

Some people do well with alarms or plastering sticky notes. I have a sibling who has a stash of snacks on hand because they're more likely to eat if they don't have to cook. Some people need to mix things up because eventually, their reminders become background noise to them.

I'm sure someone who has ADHD will chime in with more information and experience.
8 months

LoraDayton:

LydiaFatOttter:

The same as you would for anything else that ADHD makes you forget. Set reminders, make sure you have food ready—I've learned that while I *enjoy* cooking, I really don't do it much because it's too much mental work. I tend to cook more in the winter. The rest of the time I eat like a toddler. Sandwiches, snacks, quick-heat things. Whole fruits and veggies, pre-sliced cheese, steamed veggies, firm tofu, etc. Stuff that take very little prep to make, so even if I prep in advance it still doesn't overwhelm me.

I also have to remind myself to eat. Far too often I will have breakfast because my meds work better when I take them with food. Then I won't eat again until dinner. Setting reminders to log my day (I use the Daylio app) isn't a specific reminder *to* eat, but it asks how my day is going - I tend to remember easier and have a better appetite if it's "oh, my phone is asking what I *have* done today, hmm, a salad sounds really good right now."

YMMV, that's how I do it.
8 months

LydiaFatOttter:
As someone with ADHD how do i bypass it[/quote]

I find it helpful if you have other people around who are on the same schedule as you. That way they remind you its time to eat. Like if you have a scheduled lunchtime at work or some other structured mealtime. That way you can go to meals with people, even if you aren't hungry, you have to sit there with them while they eat, so you're more likely to eat something yourself. It keeps you from doing the, "I'll eat later after I finish this work" then at the end of the day you still haven't had lunch. For me sometimes, unmedicated ADHD is like a game of trying to borrow other people's executive function so I can actually get things done.
8 months
12   loading