General

Bf struggling with insecurity more than expected

Hi guys... I'm trying to vent and get my thoughts in order, but if anybody's gone through something similar maybe you can provide some advice. I feel kinda lost right now.

When I first told my bf about this kink, he was really supportive and eager to try things. Though I reassured him he didn't have to gain for me, I was overjoyed when, after thinking it over for a few weeks, he told me he wouldn't mind me feeding him when we're able to spend more time in person (we're in an LDR so go long periods apart) and he was open to putting on a bit of weight. For reference, he started out quite thin, around 130lbs and 6ft when we started dating.

He did not intentionally try to gain, but over the course of a year, only part of which that I was there to encourage him, he's gained a decent amount. My best estimate is that he's somewhere around 160-170 now. He isn't what I would consider "chubby"; he still has a fairly slim silhouette. It's not super noticeable, but if you're looking for it you can tell he's a bit heavier.

Of course, I'm happy with him softer. I was attracted to him when our relationship began, but this has been... really nice.
Over the past months, I've noticed him making the occasional insecure comment about his body. I always do my best to reassure him I think he's the hottest guy ever. I know even people who actively want to gain have moments of uncertainty; our society's messages of fat hatred are strong. So all things considered, I thought he was holding up well.

But today he opened up to me about something. Apparently he's been struggling with it more than I thought. So much to the point that he said if he gets any bigger, he wants to start losing. He says that although he thought he'd be indifferent to being a bit heavier, he's taking it harder than he thought. He feels ugly.

Obviously it's his body and his choice 100%, and the first thing I did was make it clear I'll support whatever he wants to do. But, not to sound overdramatic, my heart broke a little when he told me these things. I knew he didn't want to gain a huge amount, but I didn't think we were anywhere close to done. I know logically this is silly and it shouldn't matter that much. I was attracted to him before, and besides, tons of peoples' partners change over time in ways that make them less attractive to them (for those not in this kink, I guess that's how they feel when their partner gains, haha) and they deal with it. That's just life. But I can't help but mourn the loss of a (potential) future. I've always wanted to know what it was like to be with a fat partner. I had fantasized about him being chubby at some point in the future so much, and now I have to face that actually, that may not happen.

Yeah, it's true that attempts to lose weight often fail, and people will often regain what they lost and then some. He could still end up fat, since it seems like his body is kind of already doing this without much effort. But I feel gross and creepy hoping for that possibility, knowing that it would make him feel bad.

So I'm not sure what to do now. We're a great team and very compatible in most ways. I want to find a way that we can both be happy - I don't want to repress an aspect of my sexuality long term, but also obviously want him to be comfortable in his own skin. We had to cut our conversation short for now and pick it up at a later time, so I'm trying to figure out how to explain my feelings without making him feel like he's done anything wrong by setting a boundary. I don't know whether it's worth (obviously assuming he wants to try this) working towards unlearning some of that stigma he's internalized, since it seems that's his biggest issue. I know that wouldn't be easy nor a quick process, and that's ok. On my end, maybe I just need to give my mind a while to adjust to these new expectations. Maybe reduce my consumption of kink content, too, idk. I use it pretty much every time I masturbate and I think it creates a feedback loop where I fixate on kink stuff and need it more, diminishing my ability to enjoy more "vanilla" things. There's no ridding myself of this kink even if I wanted to, but I might be able to redirect some of those energies to an extent. And of course indulging my kink through fantasy and play is still on the table, albeit with some new ground rules from my bf. Sorry, WOW has this post gotten long - If you're still reading, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had an experience of a partner changing their mind about gaining, and how you handled it.
9 months

Biffa:
Hi guys... I'm trying to vent and get my thoughts in order, but if anybody's gone through something similar maybe you can provide some advice. I feel kinda lost right now.

When I first told my bf about this kink, he was really supportive and eager to try things. Though I reassured him he didn't have to gain for me, I was overjoyed when, after thinking it over for a few weeks, he told me he wouldn't mind me feeding him when we're able to spend more time in person (we're in an LDR so go long periods apart) and he was open to putting on a bit of weight. For reference, he started out quite thin, around 130lbs and 6ft when we started dating.

He did not intentionally try to gain, but over the course of a year, only part of which that I was there to encourage him, he's gained a decent amount. My best estimate is that he's somewhere around 160-170 now. He isn't what I would consider "chubby"; he still has a fairly slim silhouette. It's not super noticeable, but if you're looking for it you can tell he's a bit heavier.

Of course, I'm happy with him softer. I was attracted to him when our relationship began, but this has been... really nice.
Over the past months, I've noticed him making the occasional insecure comment about his body. I always do my best to reassure him I think he's the hottest guy ever. I know even people who actively want to gain have moments of uncertainty; our society's messages of fat hatred are strong. So all things considered, I thought he was holding up well.

But today he opened up to me about something. Apparently he's been struggling with it more than I thought. So much to the point that he said if he gets any bigger, he wants to start losing. He says that although he thought he'd be indifferent to being a bit heavier, he's taking it harder than he thought. He feels ugly.

Obviously it's his body and his choice 100%, and the first thing I did was make it clear I'll support whatever he wants to do. But, not to sound overdramatic, my heart broke a little when he told me these things. I knew he didn't want to gain a huge amount, but I didn't think we were anywhere close to done. I know logically this is silly and it shouldn't matter that much. I was attracted to him before, and besides, tons of peoples' partners change over time in ways that make them less attractive to them (for those not in this kink, I guess that's how they feel when their partner gains, haha) and they deal with it. That's just life. But I can't help but mourn the loss of a (potential) future. I've always wanted to know what it was like to be with a fat partner. I had fantasized about him being chubby at some point in the future so much, and now I have to face that actually, that may not happen.

Yeah, it's true that attempts to lose weight often fail, and people will often regain what they lost and then some. He could still end up fat, since it seems like his body is kind of already doing this without much effort. But I feel gross and creepy hoping for that possibility, knowing that it would make him feel bad.

So I'm not sure what to do now. We're a great team and very compatible in most ways. I want to find a way that we can both be happy - I don't want to repress an aspect of my sexuality long term, but also obviously want him to be comfortable in his own skin. We had to cut our conversation short for now and pick it up at a later time, so I'm trying to figure out how to explain my feelings without making him feel like he's done anything wrong by setting a boundary. I don't know whether it's worth (obviously assuming he wants to try this) working towards unlearning some of that stigma he's internalized, since it seems that's his biggest issue. I know that wouldn't be easy nor a quick process, and that's ok. On my end, maybe I just need to give my mind a while to adjust to these new expectations. Maybe reduce my consumption of kink content, too, idk. I use it pretty much every time I masturbate and I think it creates a feedback loop where I fixate on kink stuff and need it more, diminishing my ability to enjoy more "vanilla" things. There's no ridding myself of this kink even if I wanted to, but I might be able to redirect some of those energies to an extent. And of course indulging my kink through fantasy and play is still on the table, albeit with some new ground rules from my bf. Sorry, WOW has this post gotten long - If you're still reading, I'm just wondering if anyone else has had an experience of a partner changing their mind about gaining, and how you handled it.

I think that’s a mature way you’re coming at it. It’s painful, and other people who might hear your story wouldn’t understand, but I bet a ton of people here do. You’re doing it the right way, though. Best of luck!
9 months

I totally understand your boyfriend, I was going through the same thing (and it still comes back to me sometimes). Though I was very into this kink, and if he's not, then that's even harder for him to accept his gains. I remember when I realized gained my first 20lbs I was panicking, felt terrible about people commenting my gain etc.
It's great that you respect how he feels and you totally should keep going with this, I know he needs a lot of support. Suddenly becoming chubby after being thin your whole life can really mess with your head.
9 months

I can’t get over 130 lbs at 6 ft. That’s emaciated, it makes me shudder just thinking about a man being that thin. I really can’t see someone that skinny ever being “chubby”.

I was in a relationship with a guy who had always been around 300lbs and had lost around 100 lbs over the course of a year, right before we met. He had a lot of loose skin and was so thin ( 200 lbs at 5’10 so that’s why I can’t picture 130) and he knew I liked bigger guys. I asked him to gain, I would buy him food and encourage him to indulge. He gained about 70 lbs in 8 months and didn’t really talk to me about feeling insecure about it. He wound up relapsing on herion and that caused all kinds of legal problems for him and was hell for me. I’ll always feel like me asking him to do that for me is part of the reason for his relapse. I justified it since I felt he was “meant” to be heavy and always had been up until that point, but that doesn’t mean that -he- saw it that way.

I think it is always better to just be with someone that is the weight that you prefer, though that is easy for me to say because weight gain is very take it or leave it for me. My main thing is that I’m only sexually attracted to guys around 250-350. That is non negotiable, I’ve tried so many times to be with smaller guys and I lose interest in sex very quickly.

My husband now is around 280 and has been up to 350 and 350 wasn’t really any better or different to me than 280. Also I see him every day so I don’t notice weight fluctuations as much.

My answer would be that if -weight GAIN- is that important to you, you should find someone else with that kink. Not only is he feeling insecure, but also if it isn’t a turn on for him then it’s only about you controlling him, which is just unhealthy and can mess you both up for a long time and through future relationships. I don’t think someone can be trained into having these type of kinks.
9 months

Biffa:

I am a feeder and FA. My partner and I are into extreme feeding and weight gain. However, we are not into immobility or health issues. So I told him from the jump that whenever he decided to lose weight, I'd support him 100%.

That time came late last year. He came to me and asked how I'd feel if he lost some weight. He was terrified that I'd lose my attraction to him or that I'd leave him.

Conti
9 months

Munchies:

I am a feeder and FA. My partner and I are into extreme feeding and weight gain. However, we are not into immobility or health issues. So I told him from the jump that whenever he decided to lose weight, I'd support him 100%.

That time came late last year. He came to me and asked how I'd feel if he lost some weight. He was terrified that I'd lose my attraction to him or that I'd leave him.

Conti

I get why he was scared. There are unfortunately a lot of feeders that leave their feedees once they decide to lose weight and get healthy. Sadly, this kink breeds a lot of shallowness and selfishness even when both parties don't mean to be.

However, when my partner said he wanted to gain weight, it wasn't a big deal for me. I went into things knowing that one day he'd want to lose the weight. So I'd decided that I would find other reasons to be attracted to him.

I also made an effort to enjoy sex with him outside of feedism even when he was actively gaining. We'd indulge our other kinks or just focus on enjoying each other.

There are also ways to enjoy feedism without gaining weight. I stuff him occasionally or fantasize with him about being 700 lbs.

My partner is still losing weight. He wants to get in shape and maybe even get muscular. He's happy with his choices, and I'm still extremely attracted to him. Yes, our dynamic has changed but that means we get to rediscover ourselves. I'm excited to see what he is going to achieve.
9 months

Ex Jock:
OP, you could also consider working out and lifting too. I’m 6’1 and cannot even imagine what 130lbs would be like, and I used to be pretty scrawny. But working out and building some muscle is a) one of the biggest things that helped my confidence and insecurities when I was skinny, and smiley allow him continue to gain and enjoy food while filling putting on some muscle in addition to some fat. If he feels insecure because he’s “skinny-fat,” maybe get a little stronger and I bet he fills out some more, gets a little thicker and gains some confidence.

However like others have said, he has to agree to it, and if he wants to be done gaining altogether than that might just be his choice.

As someone who works out but still trys to gain weight,i can definitely confirm this definitely worked me when it comes to boosting my confidence and feeling better about my health.Just remember @Biffa to help your boyfriend bulk to gain muscle and fat at the same time(if he consents to it of course)
9 months

Biffa:

Letters And Numbers:
I think that’s a mature way you’re coming at it. It’s painful, and other people who might hear your story wouldn’t understand, but I bet a ton of people here do. You’re doing it the right way, though. Best of luck!

Thank you for the words of encouragement. It means a lot smiley
9 months

Zarathustra:
I totally understand your boyfriend, I was going through the same thing (and it still comes back to me sometimes). Though I was very into this kink, and if he's not, then that's even harder for him to accept his gains. I remember when I realized gained my first 20lbs I was panicking, felt terrible about people commenting my gain etc.
It's great that you respect how he feels and you totally should keep going with this, I know he needs a lot of support. Suddenly becoming chubby after being thin your whole life can really mess with your head.

Thanks for your perspective. Yeah, he's acknowledged that perhaps because he started out very thin and has been that way his whole life it's messing with him more than usual. I feel like if he was intentionally trying to gain, I'd definitely see it as an issue of I just need to offer more support and encouragement, but yeah, because it's not something he specifically wants for himself, I'm not sure if I'd be overstepping. On the other hand, especially if he does just end up naturally continuing to gain and have trouble losing, then starting now with self-acceptance would still be a positive thing for his mental health. I'll have to see what he says after I'm able to have a deeper conversation with him.
9 months

NocturnalDevotion:
I can’t get over 130 lbs at 6 ft. That’s emaciated, it makes me shudder just thinking about a man being that thin. I really can’t see someone that skinny ever being “chubby”.

I was in a relationship with a guy who had always been around 300lbs and had lost around 100 lbs over the course of a year, right before we met. He had a lot of loose skin and was so thin ( 200 lbs at 5’10 so that’s why I can’t picture 130) and he knew I liked bigger guys. I asked him to gain, I would buy him food and encourage him to indulge. He gained about 70 lbs in 8 months and didn’t really talk to me about feeling insecure about it. He wound up relapsing on herion and that caused all kinds of legal problems for him and was hell for me. I’ll always feel like me asking him to do that for me is part of the reason for his relapse. I justified it since I felt he was “meant” to be heavy and always had been up until that point, but that doesn’t mean that -he- saw it that way.

I think it is always better to just be with someone that is the weight that you prefer, though that is easy for me to say because weight gain is very take it or leave it for me. My main thing is that I’m only sexually attracted to guys around 250-350. That is non negotiable, I’ve tried so many times to be with smaller guys and I lose interest in sex very quickly.

My husband now is around 280 and has been up to 350 and 350 wasn’t really any better or different to me than 280. Also I see him every day so I don’t notice weight fluctuations as much.

My answer would be that if -weight GAIN- is that important to you, you should find someone else with that kink. Not only is he feeling insecure, but also if it isn’t a turn on for him then it’s only about you controlling him, which is just unhealthy and can mess you both up for a long time and through future relationships. I don’t think someone can be trained into having these type of kinks.

Yeah, I was shocked when we first talked about this stuff and he weighed himself out of curiosity. I'm around 115lbs at 5ft5in, so the thought that he was only like 15 pounds heavier than me at 7 inches taller was absolutely INSANE. It was a surprise because I knew he was skinny, he'd shown me his body at this point and he didn't look as emaciated as I'd have expected at that number. It can be harder to judge this stuff through just video calls though.

I think that coming from being underweight has perhaps warped his idea of what is fat for his body. I mean, 30-40 pounds gained in about a year does sound significant, but when you're coming from being that thin... he's really just at a normal, healthy weight. Interestingly enough, his whole family is on the heavier side - it seems to be a genetic thing. He was the odd one out always being very skinny as a child, despite having a healthy appetite, but his dad apparently was the same way when he was young, and then started gaining around the age my bf is now. So it's entirely possible he's "meant" to start heading this way - but like in your example, even if he's "meant" to doesn't mean it can't be devastating to his self esteem.

Anyways - I definitely get your perspective. I do think it's a little different for me because I am definitely capable of finding thinner bodies attractive, and my fa tendencies are on the lower end of the weight spectrum. I was attracted to him at his thinnest. All of my previous partners had actually been thin, not through any conscious effort of me to seek out thin people, but it just happened that way (I did struggle to accept my kink for a while, so that didn't help.) So rather than facing a situation where I'm like "oh gosh, I don't think I'd be able to be attracted to him" I feel more like a sullen child who was promised a trip to Disneyland and then had it taken away, lol. I feel like although I didn't start the relationship with these hopes, it's hard to get that genie back in the bottle after it's been let out, if that makes sense.
But yeah, I've never seriously imagined that he could be made to have this fetish, and while sure, in a perfect world, it would be nice if it was a turn on for him like it is for me, I'd be happy just with him being indifferent towards being fat, which we both thought would be the case at first. Ultimately, I feel I need to tread carefully. I don't want to control him, and I don't want him to end up not addressing his discomfort, deciding to push through for me and ending up damaging himself emotionally. I definitely feel for you in the story you shared; when I had the expectation that my bf was going to gain, I often worried about what if, for example, he developed health problems, and how guilty I'd feel bc in some way I'd have caused it. Anyways, I'm running out of space - I appreciate you sharing your perspective.
9 months
12   loading